What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connection diagram for Vans analog fuel gauge

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
I have 1998 vintage vans analog fuel gauges on my RV-9A and need to do some troubleshooting. Does anyone have a description of the wire connections to it?
Ed

I have 1998 vintage vans analog fuel gauges on my RV-9A and need to do some troubleshooting. Does anyone have a description of the wire connections to it?
Ed

Hi Ed

On the back of the instrument there are labelled connections:

S - this comes from the center screw of the fuel sender (Stewart Warner on my old RV-8)
I - this is 12VDC in
G - this comes from the sender ground: I used one of the screws holding the sender to the tank access plate with a ring terminal

The two wires at the top are for instrument backlighting. I had these going to a dimmer pot.

Cheers

Mark

would someone know the amperage of these analog gauges ( without light) so that I can select the appropriate breaker. Thank you

Intermittent Fuel Level

My left tank gauge (early RV-6 with sensor, gauge, and wiring as in the drawing Scott posted above) is reading intermittently. It provides either a plausibly correct reading or empty. The wiring at the gauge appears solid and wiggling wires there doesn’t cause or resolve the problem.

I suspect either an intermittent connection (power or ground) at the level sensor, or a sticky float mechanism. I suspect the latter only because occasionally rocking the wings on the ground will resolve the non-reading gauge (not sure how the subsequent failure, instantly falling to zero happens in that case however).

Looking for anyone with similar experiences or suggestions on how to troubleshoot further (ideally postponing opening the tank access panel to a last resort).

Thanks,
Peter

My left tank gauge (early RV-6 with sensor, gauge, and wiring as in the drawing Scott posted above) is reading intermittently. It provides either a plausibly correct reading or empty. The wiring at the gauge appears solid and wiggling wires there doesn’t cause or resolve the problem.

I suspect either an intermittent connection (power or ground) at the level sensor, or a sticky float mechanism. I suspect the latter only because occasionally rocking the wings on the ground will resolve the non-reading gauge (not sure how the subsequent failure, instantly falling to zero happens in that case however).

Looking for anyone with similar experiences or suggestions on how to troubleshoot further (ideally postponing opening the tank access panel to a last resort).

Thanks,
Peter

You can go back to ........ https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1432248&postcount=3 and scroll down to the section that you need to troubleshoot the fuel gauge.

would someone know the amperage of these analog gauges ( without light) so that I can select the appropriate breaker. Thank you

The proper breaker to use is based on the size of the wire, not the load on the wire.
Van's instructions for their gauges recommend 18GA wire.

Back