What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

garmin GTX 327 to encoder wiring

flyingclay

I bought a used set of avionics and I am in the process of wiring them up. My pin out wiring from my trans cal encoder ssd 120 has been spliced so most of the pin outs have two wires. Is there a reason for this or should I just cut the second wire and shrink tube it? What would be the reasoning to have two wires for each pin?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Exact encoder model

Les,

They might have had it going to two transponders, or to a GPS also.

What is the exact model number, and if you want a nice wiring interconnect for it and the GTX 327 email me.

Email me at [email protected].

Brian

Last edited:
The installation manual for the TransCal and the 327 are available online. Without knowing wether you are wiring up Gray code or serial, it is just a guess here.
The 327 connector has two ground pins, a power pin, and a switched power out pin. This can be used to power the Encoder. The splice may be how a ground connection is made to the Encoder.
The TransCal manual has sample wiring diagrams for the 327.

I have two wires from each pin on my encoder: One to my GTX-327 and a second to my Davtron 5-in-1 gauge. It's a lot easier to feed your GTX-327 with a serial cable, though, if you have a source of serial altitude data.

Back