What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA 245 failsafe issue

birddog486

Well Known Member
While testing the failsafe mode of my GMA245 I think I may have found a wiring issue. while the GMA245 is off I'm not hearing any radio chatter (I haven't tried to transmit) If I pull the headset plug part way out of the jack (stereo) I hear everyone loud and clear.

I'm using a Bose A20 headset. My next step is to try a mono headset in the stereo Jacks but I'm open to suggestions.

Travis

Years ago I posted a note here that there was no "specification" for the audio phone jacket and plugs we use. Each manufacturer seems to mate their plugs and jacks properly, but mixing plugs from one manufacturer with another jack manufacturer could cause problems in the dimension inconsistencies of the contact areas. I find these problems even today with homebuilders that do not check the seating of the plugs into the jacks of their headsets prior to installation of their equipment.

While testing the failsafe mode of my GMA245 I think I may have found a wiring issue. while the GMA245 is off I'm not hearing any radio chatter (I haven't tried to transmit) If I pull the headset plug part way out of the jack (stereo) I hear everyone loud and clear.

I'm using a Bose A20 headset. My next step is to try a mono headset in the stereo Jacks but I'm open to suggestions.

Travis
Hello Travis,

During failsafe mode, the COM1 Audio is connected to the Pilot Headset left audio channel, which is connected to the headset jack tip. Whether a mono or stereo headset plug is used, the COM1 audio is properly routed to the tip when wired correctly.

If the pilot headset audio jack is wired incorrectly with the left channel audio wired to the ring instead of the tip of the jack (as it sounds like yours is), when a mono plug is inserted, it shorts the ring to the sleeve and the failsafe audio cannot come through.

The fact that 1) your headset picks up the audio when the plug is partially extracted and the tip is contacting the ring and 2) inserting the plug fully shorts out the audio says that 1) your headset jack left and right channels are wired incorrectly (reversed) and 2) the mono switch may be activated on your Bose headset.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve,

That looks to be the case L&R need to be swapped. I followed the instructions on a popular video for wiring the headset jacks and sure enough there backward from the manual.

Lesson learned, pay attention to the manufacturers wiring

Thanks Steve,

That looks to be the case L&R need to be swapped. I followed the instructions on a popular video for wiring the headset jacks and sure enough there backward from the manual.

Lesson learned, pay attention to the manufacturers wiring
Hello Travis,

You are welcome. Glad it is all straightened out.

Thanks,
Steve

Back