What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4/8 Bent stick

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
I modified my front stick in my RV4 to accommodate my seating position. I have moved my front seatback aft 2.75” at the top (rollbar, etc.), and 1.75” at the bottom (hinge) because it just felt like I was too close to the instrument panel. I’m 6’2” and weigh 200 lbs, and need more room than the stock RV4 affords. My skinny, light weight wife doesn’t like the back seat of a tandem airplane. My grandkids do, however, and there is plenty of room left for them........ anyway, the reason for my post...... I’m back a ways from the stock stick location, and with an extra 1” of tilt backwards, I was leaning over a bit to comfortably reach the stick. So I decided to install a bent stick that would place it where it was comfortable for me. I’ve done this on both RV8’s that I’ve owned, but on those I cut and welded the stick to create an offset. On this RV4, I used an RV14 stick, and modified my existing stick to attach it. The RV14 bent stick ($26 from Vans) is 7/8” diameter, and the RV4/8 stick is 1”. The smaller one doesn’t fit snugly into the other, so my friend Bruce Brielmaier milled a length of 4130 cromolly to fit into the RV4 stick, and over the RV14 stick. I used some Locktite 668 (bearing mount stick) to help hold everything together, although it fit so tight I don’t think it is needed. This stuff is supposed to be used on cylindrical metal assemblies and if used doesn’t require the use of standard clamps, snap rings, etc. I still used 2 AN3 bolts, as is done on the RV14. I flew this new stick today, and have to say, I really like it. The stick is in a more comfortable, natural place for me, and makes my sport plane feel more ‘sporty’. I made it about 3/4” taller than original. I did an entire acro sequence and didn’t have any trouble with control limit clearance. The RV4 front stick is the same as the RV8 stick, so it would work there also. The upper portion of the bent stick is tilted slightly forward (see pics), so in the full nose up stick position your hand/wrist isn’t tilted at an uncomfortable angle.

I posted these pics from a google drive app, so I don’t know if it will work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NYaQ3sE730f1LPPG3

Updated post...

Last edited:
Yep, I deleted the pictures. Google drive is not the way to do this. When I get my PHD in computer science, I?ll post some pictures.. sorry.

Try this

If the pic is in google photos:

Select/open the pic
Click on the “send” icon (Three bubbles connected)
At the bottom of that window, click on “create link”
Copy the link that is created
Paste in your thread.

That should let anyone see if, even if they don’t have the app or an account

If the pic is in google photos:

Select/open the pic
Click on the ?send? icon (Three bubbles connected)
At the bottom of that window, click on ?create link?
Copy the link that is created
Paste in your thread.

That should let anyone see if, even if they don?t have the app or an account

I think I figured it out. See above. I wish it was as easy as selecting a ?send? icon, but unfortunately, there is no send icon, and no way to create a link on my google photos file on my iPad.

Very interesting. I'm wondering - what's the purpose of what looks like a Delrin block at the base of the stick with a vertical piece of aluminum attached? It doesn't seem related to the attach bolts. (I think I see those just below the block)

The delrin block is part of the manual roll trim mechanism - standard equipment on many RV’s - unless you go with an electric trim system - a “modern” mod used by some back in the day, and most now. But not me. This is simple, light, and works fine/lasts a long time.

Last edited:
Back