What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unused phlogiston spars of any value?

mattasmith12

Hello fellow VAFers,

I'm hoping for some advice...

I have a beautiful set of phlogiston spars for an RV6/A. These were part of a kit that met an unfortunate end. The fuselage that these were intended to be mounted to was destroyed in a fire. That means that the F-604 bulkhead these were match-drilled to is now gone. But the spars were stored separately and they're perfectly fine.

Is it possible to drill a blank F-604 bulkhead to match these? I imagine shipping them back to Vans for drilling on a jig (assuming that's even a possibility) wouldn't be cost effective.

My wings are already built so I have no real use for these. Is there a possibility they could be used by anyone about to build RV6 wings? I'd like to see them put to use and moved out of my workshop. I hope they're worth more than the weight of recycled aluminum.

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

I think this should be referred to Van's. They might be able to regenerate the bulkheads and splice plates. Maybe.

Dave

Wayne at Phlogiston can take the spars and make new splice plates and match drill to a new center section. So, these still might have value to someone out there.

I think this should be referred to Van's. They might be able to regenerate the bulkheads and splice plates. Maybe.

Dave

I completely agree Dave. I have an email out to them awaiting a reply. I'm sure the situation isn't unique for a company that has been around for so long.

Wayne at Phlogiston can take the spars and make new splice plates and match drill to a new center section. So, these still might have value to someone out there.

This is great news! I'll reach out to Wayne and see about a way ahead. Someone could certainly make use of these I'm sure.

Back