What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView to GNS 430 altitude info?

noelf

Well Known Member
I am helping a friend wire up his new SkyView panel.
The specific configuration is SkyView HDX to SV-ARINC-429 to Garmin GNS 430. After reading through SkyView Installation Guide v15.4, I do not see how the Garmin GNS 430 receives the pressure altitude from SkyView. I am looking at SkyView section 12, and specifically page 12-6 where it states the -429 GPS outputs do not provide altitude.

How does the GNS 430 get pressure altitude information??

The SkyView feeds pressure attitude information to the ARINC via the SkyView network connection. The ARINC then feeds this to the GNS430.

Carl

The SkyView feeds pressure attitude information to the ARINC via the SkyView network connection. The ARINC then feeds this to the GNS430.

Carl

And you can tell if this is coming across correctly, because if it is, then the 430W will calculate and display a wind vector on the display that should match the one on the Skyview.

Well, I guess I am still confused. As I mentioned earlier, Dynon specifically states that altitude information is not provided through the ARINC -429 interface. My plan is to wire up the interface as shown in the Dynon installation guide and be prepared to make changes where needed. I was hoping one of the other serial interfaces would provide the pressure altitude info, but I have not found that piece of information.

ARINC

This list of ARINC 429 labels is pretty informative from my perspective. So yes, skyview sends the pressure altitude information through SV-ARINC-429 interface.

Well, I guess I am still confused. As I mentioned earlier, Dynon specifically states that altitude information is not provided through the ARINC -429 interface. My plan is to wire up the interface as shown in the Dynon installation guide and be prepared to make changes where needed. I was hoping one of the other serial interfaces would provide the pressure altitude info, but I have not found that piece of information.

Where in the manuals do you see this statement from Dynon? I couldn't find it, but now I'm curious. FWIW, same setup, wired per the Dynon manual, works fine.

Where in the manuals do you see this statement from Dynon? I couldn't find it, but now I'm curious. FWIW, same setup, wired per the Dynon manual, works fine.
As ploucandco noted, it is in the list of ARINC429 data along with a lot of other "stuff".
This list of ARINC 429 labels is pretty informative from my perspective. So yes, skyview sends the pressure altitude information through SV-ARINC-429 interface.
I have my SkyView/G430W wired this exact way, via the ARINC-429 module, and it works perfectly.

:cool:

I searched the install guide and Dynon's web site. I could not find the list of SV-ARINC-429 Labels that "ploucandco" provided...so thank you for that.

It looks like other users have found this to work so we will wire it up as Dynon shows.

Thank you all for your answers and guidance.

As I mentioned earlier, Dynon specifically states that altitude information is not provided through the ARINC -429 interface.

I believe the statement in the Dynon installation manual on page 12-6 is referring to indicated, (baro-corrected) altitude as you would have displayed on the Dynon screen. The ARINC-429 data includes pressure altitude, but does not include baro-corrected altitude.

FWIW, I have dual Skyview HDX (recently upgraded from Classic) and a 430W, just as you are setting up, and it works perfectly.

I see where the confusion comes from. The OP was wondering about how the GNS received altitude data, and he apparently misread the installation manual, which is talking about how the ARINC-429 box receives serial data from the GPS, NOT the other way around.

If you read this sentence carefully, it's clear what is going on. But I think the OP misread it.

The SV-ARINC-429 also has a serial input that is designed to provide auxiliary information that ARINC-429 GPS outputs do not provide (such as altitude). SkyView needs this data to consider the input a valid and complete GPS position source.

Bottom line: the GNS430 gets everything it needs from SV via the ARINC interface. SV gets everything it needs from the GNS430 via the ARINC interface AND a single serial input FROM the 430.

Wire it as shown, and configure the 430 per the installation manual, and it'll work just fine.

I searched the install guide and Dynon's web site. I could not find the list of SV-ARINC-429 Labels that "ploucandco" provided...so thank you for that.
DYNON doesn't list the ARINC-429 labels in their documentation. But if you follow the LINK ploucandco provided you can read the list as published by DYNON.

:cool:

Back