-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:39 PM

In northern California https://www.lakecalifornia.net/ is a gated community with a nice airstrip and great flying weather.

A neighbors home and hangar might be placed on the market within the next 6 months.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID

Last edited by gasman : 10-23-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:37 AM

Default Variation

Runways are runways. Houses are houses. Shops are shops. All those things are consistent and can be changed or altered relatively easy. People and taxes are another story. They will either make you or break you. Out of control HOA, greedy county taxes, and neighbors who are at your house in you business and making trouble for you is a nightmare and itís a common occurrence.

So, as Others have said, due diligence on the stuff with variation (people) is going to determine if your short term happiness is a success. Long term, well, one can only hope. Who knows, you may be the the next problem for them.

My suggestion, buy a piece of land, put horses on it, and fly off it just like Van did when he was younger. My only regret is that I didnít make my strip longer for the star. RV is a piece of cake.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
Aerostar 600A, Family Hotrod
Old 10-24-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Airpark Living and Leads on Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpattonsoa View Post
Independence is a special place. Lots of great people, activities and a world class EAA chapter with a facility second to none. The airport is State owned and very well maintained. All the streets are dead ends with HOA owned taxiways behind the houses. HOA fees are about $600/year including $210 for access to the runway.

225 houses and around ten lots unbuilt. Recently there has been a run on houses and four new builds this year. A couple have sold after someone knocked on the door and made an offer that could not be refused. The lots start at around 100K and up.

EAA has a over 200 members, a large percentage live in the air park. We own a big building with state of the art A/V system in the large meeting room, a FAA approved simulator, kitchen and a tool room. The tool room has two lathes, milling machine, four foot shear and brake, drill presses, sandblaster, grinders and every tool you need. The air compressor is plumbed to the attached aircraft hanger that has 10 spots rented out to builders for their aircraft projects.

We have a teen build, adult projects (a donated Lancair IV P), and put on a major fly in except for this year. Next year we will be working towards adding a new immense new hanger to the facility.

Outside of the EAA chapter, but originating from it, we have a glider club with three gliders, a motor glider and tow plane. It concentrates on teens and has licensed a few. Also a flying club with two airplanes is just getting started. Itís 172 will have a new rebuilt motor and a full IFR dual screen Dynon for modern training.

The knowledge base is astonishing, and not limited to just aircraft. There is a Block Herald system for communication among all the air park residents. Need a crib for a visiting grandchild, put it on the system and you will have three in an hour! Garden club, Fiber arts, cribbage, cookie exchange. There are walkways between the taxiways and a steady stream of neighbors. It is a old fashioned neighborhood.
Bruce, thank you for the perspective on Independence Airpark. This supports what we assumed based on research, observed in multiple neighborhood drive throughs, and random conversations with a couple of residents that stopped the strangers that were casing their neighborhood (us) and started a conversation to figured out what the car with out of state plates was doing driving up and down the streets. This sounds like a place we want to be a part of. Hopefully we can find a way to call Independence, or a place with this sense of community, home.

FasGlas, assuming you are in Sunrise based on the description, we also drove through the neighborhood earlier this summer and it is a beautiful area!

To all, thank you for the leads and reminders of potentially intrusive HOAs, and the risk and obligation if the airpark has responsibility and liability for the actual airport. The HOA component is part of what made our current home in Texas desirable - there wasn't an HOA and that seems to be rare in these parts. I really appreciate the leads for potential homes for sale, both on this thread and by PM and will spends some time looking at each of the links.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Runways are runways. Houses are houses. Shops are shops. All those things are consistent and can be changed or altered relatively easy. People and taxes are another story. They will either make you or break you. Out of control HOA, greedy county taxes, and neighbors who are at your house in you business and making trouble for you is a nightmare and itís a common occurrence.

So, as Others have said, due diligence on the stuff with variation (people) is going to determine if your short term happiness is a success. Long term, well, one can only hope. Who knows, you may be the the next problem for them.

My suggestion, buy a piece of land, put horses on it, and fly off it just like Van did when he was younger. My only regret is that I didnít make my strip longer for the star. RV is a piece of cake.

I live on an airpark. We don't have an HOA, our taxes are pretty cheap (as far as I'm concerned), but the rest is so true. Do your homework.