What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinning Proseal?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Is it possible to thin proseal to make it easier to use (without impacting its effectiveness)? I heard someone, somewhere use a couple of drops of MEK to thin it, but can't find any more information about it. I'm planning to use a syringe for my first attempt on the tanks, so a thinner mixture would probably be easier to use.

Thanks,
Steve

yep, but I haven't done it

I seem to remember a thread on this list about being comfortable thinning it some precise small percentage with Tolune? I searched but couldn't find the thread.

However, I can speak from experience about the syringe thing. You don't need to thin the proseal. I did all of my tank work with a syringe loaded from the rear via scoop & scrape with a toung depressor. Worked like a charm. Read more at my build log beginning around 5/25/05 http://rv9a.card-net.org/archives/2005/05/

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Is it possible to thin proseal to make it easier to use (without impacting its effectiveness)? I heard someone, somewhere use a couple of drops of MEK to thin it, but can't find any more information about it. I'm planning to use a syringe for my first attempt on the tanks, so a thinner mixture would probably be easier to use.

Thanks,
Steve

Yes MEK will work great.

Mike

Agreed on the syringe thing. Get one of those big jobbers from Fleet Farm or some other farm store and jam the stuff in. Probably will need to take a razor blade to open up the nozzle a bit. But this worked GREAT in putting the bead along the baffle area and I'm sure worked great for the ribs, although I had too much fun using big tongue depressers to slather on it those.

ProSeal is fun. I thought it would be the worst part of building. But that spot is still reserved -- in my mind anyway -- for prepping wing ribs.

Found a reference in the Articles section here on VAF:

"There has been much discussion regarding thinning tank sealant in order to get it to flow into small cracks or voids. While the manufacturers do not recommend doing so, as they must maintain compliance with the Mil spec., tank sealant can be thinned using Toluene. Sealant can be thinned with up to 15% Toluene, by weight, without affecting the properties of the sealant.
While other solvents, such as MEK, may thin tank sealant, they may also affect its properties with potential adverse results, so it is recommended to use Toluene if you must thin the sealant. An alternative to thinning the sealant is to use a Class A sealant whenever a lower viscosity is
needed."

Scott,

You quoted my article. I'm glad somebody read it:)

Steve:

Toluene is the correct thinner for tank sealant. I confirmed this with the manufactuerer directly. You should have no problem if you use toluene, just limit it to less than 15% by weight. You should be able to get quite thin before you reach that limit.

Good luck.

Paul,

I just read it, too, and very much appreciate it. I have a leak in one of my fuel tanks and was wondering which solvent to use to thin the sealant. (Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone that this fuel tank is in a BD-4 and not an RV.)

Cheers,
-- Art Z.

Thanks,
Steve
Wow, this brings back old memories. 14 years ago! Forgot I even asked this question. As it turns out, didn?t need to thin it, or at least I chose not to. No leaks yet!

Mek

Mek will thin it,BUT..!!! It will evaporate VERY
Quickly be ready to use immediately.
You can mix it up in a paint gun and have it
Thin enough to spray like paint.

Back