What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview "glideslope"?

dbhill916

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Sometimes I see this 'glidescope' to the right of my compass rose. Does anyone know what calculation is being used to drive it? I have only the stock D-1000T w/o any additional radios (eg., traditional VOR/LOC receiver). I'd like to use the feature, but don't feel it's useful unless I know what it's actually telling me.

screenshot-N76012.jpg

Thanks in advance,
-dbh

In setting up the D-1000's simulated GS per the Dynon Manual keep in mind that there are two simulated GS positional settings that can be pre-programmed -- one setting establishes the desired approach parameters (i.e., angular descent, target altitude, and distance from target) for a simulated GS to the center point of the selected airport and another setting establishes the desired approach parameters (i.e., angular descent, target altitude, and distance from target) for a simulated GS to a target point for a selected individual runway.

The first setting is useful for positioning the aircraft for a generic airport pattern entry (e.g., target point is 6 degree arrival slope, 2 miles from the center of the airport, and 1,000 feet above the airport's elevation). The second setting can be used to simulate an ILS to the selected runway (e.g., target point is 3 degree approach slope, 1/2 mile from the landing threshold, and 200 feet above the runway's elevation. Of course, all of these values and settings are approximate and should not be used in other than VFR/VMC weather. You will find that many a simulated ILS approach to a non-ILS runway will put you in the trees or other nasty place.

Last edited:
I don't see Glideslope Indicator on that flight to HQM. You are high but still 60 miles out so maybe you are too high to intercept the 1.4° glide slope per your set-up? When will it appear? That is the question the OP is asking I think. His word is "sometimes".

Here is a flight, straight and level, not on an approach and above the glide slope, intercept is not possible continuing at this altitude but Glideslope Indicator is displayed.

i-37Cb86L-L.png

Are we all on the same page with regard to the software?? Latest ver 15.4.7 made updates to the Glideslope Indicator.

Thanks, I like the spreadsheet!

Here is a situation where the Glideslope Indicator is not shown and then two minutes later it is shown.
i-vp4RG8m-L.png

Two minutes goes by and
i-qvbqqj2-L.png

It looks like if the indicator bar is off-scale then the Glideslope Indicator does not appear. That does make sense.

Last edited:
Looks like when you started descending at -200 ft per minute, next to the elevation tape, the glide slope showed up next to the rosette. Also, the needle is smack dab now centered in the magenta colored bug, which coincides with having an airport as a Direct To Destination. The cyan colored bug looks like its set for level flight in the first jpeg.

The first jpeg shows you flying level, no gain or loss in elevation, so you weren't really on a "slope" up or down.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks, all, for the information. Found the appropriate pages in the manual and now I have a new 'toy' to play with!

Thanks again,
-dbh

According to Dynon the VNAV glideslope becomes active on the screen when you are 5 minutes from capture. You still have to arm the VNAV function, it's not automatic.

It will appear if your destination is an airport listed in the database. The autopilot will only follow it if you arm the VNAV to follow the glideslope prior to reaching it. You cannot arm the VNAV until the glideslope appears.

What am I missing by selecting an airport as a "Direct to" selection, and having the magenta "bug" show up on the altitude ribbon and keeping the needle in the magenta "bug" zone? Instead of the slope glide indicator? It's not like I am getting more than 2 to 4000 ft AGL that the glide slope becomes too much of an issue? You can easily lose 4000 ft in 8 to 10 minute, 16 to 20 miles out at 105 kts.

Seems to give the same acceptable rate of descent, and glide slope, yes? Around 450 to 500 fpm if you pay attention?

Forgive my naivity, still the student pilot here, learning lots, from reading here.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the magenta bug zone targets for a descent rate, but the glideslope VNAV function puts you on a 2-degree approach to pattern altitude upon arrival at the airport. Essentially it's the same thing, yes - just the VNAV will couple the autopilot pitch servo to fly it automatically and you won't have to adjust vertical speed rate as you change airspeed.

I'm not sure what the magenta bug zone targets for a descent rate, but the glideslope VNAV function puts you on a 2-degree approach to pattern altitude upon arrival at the airport. Essentially it's the same thing, yes - just the VNAV will couple the autopilot pitch servo to fly it automatically and you won't have to adjust vertical speed rate as you change airspeed.

ah... OK, not even close to using Auto Pilot or Vnav yet. That explains what I am missing. I still need to plug in ft per minute descent for best glide rate and glide speed in so that I can get that green Glide Ring for safe distance I can glide to on an engine out condition on the Skyview Classic. I think it's like 560 fpm and 63 kts airspeed on the RV-12? Thought the glide ratio is about 11:1 From POH page 3-12 63 kts https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/RV-12_POH.pdf

Last edited:
I think it's like 560 fpm and 63 kts airspeed on the RV-12? Thought the glide ratio is about 11:1

Can't tell you - I fly a 9A - I'm just a black sheep that snuck into the tent here and they haven't thrown me out yet. :D

As for the Glide Ring above - I would definitely like to have the terrain accounted for in the glide ring, that's something that Dynon needs to work on - but the calculated (actual/experienced) winds aloft are far superior to a forecast winds aloft for the glidering offset. I've actually had to use that glide ring once, and it worked great, let me get to a paved runway instead of a dirt strip.

Last edited:
From page 4-42 of this https://dynonavionics.com/public_ht...-_REV_AB_-_CUST_DOC_GUIDE_INSTALL_SKYVIEW.pdf

Glide Ring Setup

SkyView Classic (as of Software v14.0), and SkyView HDX, can display a Glide Ring .

For instructions on how to use the Glide Ring feature, see the SkyView Classic Pilot’s User Guide,
Rev W. and later, or the SkyView HDX Pilot’s User Guide.
There are two settings that need to be adjusted for your specific aircraft for Glide Ring to be
accurately displayed:
• SETUP MENU > AIRCRAFT INFORMATION > SINK RATE DURING GLIDE
• SETUP MENU > PFD SETUP > AIRSPEED LIMITATIONS > Vg – BEST GLIDE
(under PERFORMANCE)

Probably somewhere between 560 and 600 fpm

63kt for best glide.

Usage 7-84 through 7-86 https://dynonavionics.com/public_ht...assic_Touch_Pilots_User_Guide-Rev_X_v15_0.pdf

Last edited:
It should be kept in mind that the Skyview's Glide Ring is based upon the aircraft's estimated AGL directly beneath the aircraft. Dynon's Ops Manual does not say if this AGL value is based upon the aircraft's GPS altitude or pressure altitude -- I assume they are using the terrain database's point elevation as well.

Back