What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Specialty - Smoke System Lines

SeanB

Well Known Member
I am the proud owner of a Smoke System Helper kit produced by Marvin Homsly. As many already know, this is a fine kit and Marvin provides excellent support.

During installation, I struggled with how to best route the large rubber fuel hose (used for smoke oil) from the tank behind the seat to the firewall. I researched VAF and saw a variety of approaches. I had hesitation creating two large holes in the carry thru spars. Marvin eventually suggested a much smaller hole in the spars and using a piece of 3/8” aluminum fuel tubing passing thru. The same rubber fuel hose could then be clamped on either side. In my mind, a much less invasive way to get through this area. I researched the Van’s published document https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq-technical-builder-items/routing-wires-through-the-center-section-bulkheads/ identifying a proper location and drilled the holes in the spar webs. I was fairly happy with this solution, but remained curious of other possibilities.

I was fortunate to eventually begin conversations with Steve at Aircraft Specialty. Steve and Tom (TS Flightlines) have
partnered sometime in the past (I believe AS Flightlines). Knowing Tom’s excellent support from prior transactions....I very quickly learned Steve to also be very supportive and engaging in the process of creating a solution for my smoke system hoses. Steve jumped on this project and we began regular communication of fittings, routing, bend radius, etc.

All hoses are SS braided, Teflon lined, and finished with integral fire-sleeving. :D :D :D There are also laser etched data bands on each. Various configurations of SS fittings help get things just right. A quick disconnect from the flow valve is another nice option.

The end result is beyond my expectations! Can't imagine anything better than what Steve helped create. Really looking forward to using this system!

Steve was always super accommodating, patient with my learning curve and questions, and creative with solutions. Terrific support received throughout! Happy customer!

Attachments

• hoses.JPG
    hoses.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 277
  • hoses2.JPG
    hoses2.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
  • pump.JPG
    pump.JPG
    464.6 KB · Views: 254
  • tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    862 KB · Views: 238
  • valve.JPG
    valve.JPG
    566.3 KB · Views: 249
  • spar.JPG
    spar.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 254
  • spars.JPG
    spars.JPG
    626.1 KB · Views: 252
  • clearance.JPG
    clearance.JPG
    461.7 KB · Views: 255
  • hose1.JPG
    hose1.JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 254
  • hose2.JPG
    hose2.JPG
    868.3 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Looks awesome. Can you provide any details on the need to run fire sleeve thru the cockpit? Firewall forward I get, but in the cabin seems like extra weight for no major benefit. Any insights?

Can you upload any more pics of the center bulkhead passthrough? It looks like the tube would have to be swaged in place to get those fittings on it. It's so close though I can't imagine how to get a swaging tool in there.

Last edited:
Looks awesome. Can you provide any details on the need to run fire sleeve thru the cockpit? Firewall forward I get, but in the cabin seems like extra weight for no major benefit. Any insights?

Can you upload any more pics of the center bulkhead passthrough? It looks like the tube would have to be swaged in place to get those fittings on it. It's so close though I can't imagine how to get a swaging tool in there.

The integral firesleeve added minimal weight, but provided abrasion protection along the entire length of the smoke oil run. Normally, we wouldn't run firesleeve aft of the firewall, but there was a very minimal weight penalty, abrasion protection was provided, and it looked really cool for the beta test aircraft! :)

We envision that a standard version of this kit will utilize Conductive Teflon -6 braided hose and have the builder provide for abrasion protection where necessary.

For the bulkhead passthrough....we utilized high quality tube compression fittings. This allowed the nice fit on the tube with minimal gap.

Sean did a great job with the installation!!!!!!

Happy building!!!!
Steve

I got lucky with my 3/8 hose coming from baggage compartment to the firewall! My Classic Aero Aviator Side Panels (discontinued now) has a place for the hose to pass thru behind the armrest form.

Back