What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power PPS?

ScottJ

Is anyone going with this solution in place of solenoids? I like the idea of replacing those devices with solid state but wouldn't mind letting others be the guinea pigs.

I'm sorry if there's already an active thread on this. I swear I searched and didn't find anything recent.

I, too, like the idea of solid-state components...I just don't like it to the tune of $1500...

Works great

I've got 60 hours on mine now. Yes it is more money but the install and wiring is very simple. Very clean look.

Is anyone going with this solution in place of solenoids? I like the idea of replacing those devices with solid state but wouldn't mind letting others be the guinea pigs.

I'm sorry if there's already an active thread on this. I swear I searched and didn't find anything recent.

I am also about to purchase a PPS. I have had to change heaps of solenoids in my aircraft maintenance career, so I am intrigued with the solid state nature of this (and its compact and tidy!).
Is there anymore feedback out there, good, bad, indifferent?
Thanks.

I'm building a race car right now. I was actually thinking about putting the PPS in my car instead of the usual old-tech stuff in automobile electronics.

...but the $1500 price tag changed my mind real quick. The numbers don't pass the sanity check.

I like the PPS, and think it will be a great product. But I'll probably spend the $1500 elsewhere. If the checkbook were no issue I'd likely have it.

Maybe down the road if a solenoid strands me at an airport (however, you can get those at any auto parts store).

I have a little over 90 hours on mine at this point. Very simple installation. Cleans things up quite nicely.

Toying with the idea of installing PPS on my -7 as well. I guess it's a good thing that there's isn't a lot of chatter about this product. Big fan of solid state products when feasible. Seems to work if you're not worried about the cost.

Yep, very pricey.

The bigger issue is what do you get? If your goal it to take an old school electrical system and make it solid state, this and the associated VPX box will do it. I consider this along the same lines as inventing the jet engine then strapping it on a biplane. In other words, way down the sub optimization curve.

Now consider the many designs out there to add power redundancy for IFR applications. You could then buy two of these (plus one or two VPX boxes) to do that job (or some combination of these and standard components) but that represents a boatload of money that could go to buying overpriced 100LL.

But shoot fire just my opinion, and biased by my fairly thin wallet….

Carl

Near 200 hours now

I have the PPS on my 7 with IO390. I posted earlier when I had about 60 hours on it. I now have near 200 and the PPS has functioned perfectly.

Sure it is $1500. However we spend tons on our screens and other things but rely on cheaper parts to keep the fan turning. Sure that stuff works. The PPS looks great and is easy to install.

I just finished a complete panel upgrade/plane upgrade in my RV 7

Went all garmin: 750, (2) G3X, remote garmin audio

I put in the PPS and VPX

So far all are working great. Really cleaned everything up

The price

I have installed the VPX in my build and I was ramped up to buy the PPS, but I just can’t get warmed up to the price.

If only Vertical Power would have a Black Friday special to bring it down below 1 Aviation Monetary Unit (1 AMU= $1,000) I could pull the trigger without having to file an Answer in a divorce action.

Respectfully submitted,

Steve

I'm building a race car right now. I was actually thinking about putting the PPS in my car instead of the usual old-tech stuff in automobile electronics.

...but the $1500 price tag changed my mind real quick. The numbers don't pass the sanity check.

You can get solid state contactors for $100-$200, up to 200A continuous. And lower amperage solid state relays for $10-$15.

Putting one in the build of the -7, but haven't flown with it yet. Realistically you can build the old school circuitry for ~$250, so its an additional $1250 to go PPS route. From a system safety POV, solid state devices should be at least an order of magnitude longer mean time between failures. While it never works out the way the marketing team advertises it, the PPS should be a one time purchase that outlasts your airplane.

Back