What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trim tab access plate recomendations

andrewtac

Well Known Member
When putting the tail on, I wanted to check everything to include the trim. That was a mistake, as going in was a pain and probably harder to take it out; and I never got it all the way in and decided it doesn't need to be check now it can wait for final assembly. I did bench test it and it goes full throw both ways.

One thing I did discover was it is impossible to put the trim tab access plates on to the trim cables and install them onto the elevators if they are riveted in place. So I drilled the pull rivets, and got them close and that is about when I gave up.

My plan is when it comes to final assembly, I will do this prior to vert stab install, might not put the cables onto the trim motor until fitted on the elevator (as some searches reveled adjustment is necessary anyways). I figured if the cables were not installed on the trim motor, and the cables were loose I could probably push them out further then thread the nuts (not riveted to the access covers) on, then install pull rivets as called in the plans, then install the access plates, then the cables on the trim motor, then the bracket to the support, final adjustments.

So is there a better solution? I've seen the aftermarket nuts that go in the access plates, but I am not sure what they buy me? They might be big enough to install nut plates on then you could screw the access plate to it. Anything else? I am not looking forward to this during final assembly.

My second hand kit came with the billet mounts, countersunk for #8 dimples in the mount plate. Wouldn't ya know I discovered today durning final assembly that I'm short the requisite number of #8 nyloc nuts!

Near the end of a build it's the little things that get ya.

USPS and Spruce always rake in your leftover chips when you cash-out at the end. :D

Back