What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionix Echo

Robb

Well Known Member
I am finally getting around to installing the system. I have a Garmin 430 WAAS
a Garmin 327 and two older GRT Horizon EFIS displays. I understand I need to get to the back of the 430 which is going to be difficult to reach as there is a lot in the way. I have a call into GRT where I purchased the unit but they are probably slow especially in Michigan. Just wondering what the best way to do the install is as I am sure someone on the forum has a similar set up. Just want to do it right so everything works as designed. I dont think I can use the 327 but I may be incorrect. Thanks in advance dues gladly paid

Yes. You can use the GTX 327. Works perfectly with the Echo.

As for the GNS 430W, different installations have different access and service loops on the original harness. You will want a long #1 screwdriver for the tray work. Like super long, not the typical length. I like the version that Stein sells with the screw keeper on the end. If you drop a tray screw into the bowels of the airplane it is a mess. And they are usually stainless and non-magnetic. What I generally do is slide the GNS/GTN unit or what have you from it's tray. I also like to remove the avionics above and below the unit at a minimum for work access. I remove the cast aluminum back plate from the GNS tray using the screws holding it on (they are in keyhole shaped holes in the tray flange so the screws don't have to be completely removed). Then I carefully remove the two screws holding in the applicable connector that has the serial port for the data out to the Echo. If things are too tight you might have to remove the GNS tray and/or adjacent avionics tray. Sometimes opening up a 3-1/8" instrument hole on either or both sides of the stack can help access also. Once you can get to the back of the connector with remove the backshell and pin your new echo wires into the appropriate sockets. Re-assemble the connector with fresh silicon friction tape around the wires and ground the shielding from the new wire to the backshell like any existing shield drains.

The key to the job is access. So don't be shy in removing instruments, access covers or other avionic trays to get the job done.

Jim

Last edited:
Your 327 will work fine with the Echo, either hardwired with the “mux” or by sniffing, either way is fine, only advantage to the hardwire/mux setup is the ability to use anonymous mode. The sniffing setup simplifies installation. You will need to access a rs232 out from your 430 to feed gps position data to the Echo. The echo has a rs232 out feed that will go to your GRT to display traffic and weather, if the GRT has that capability. Here is a link to the Echo manual that should help.

https://uavionix.com/downloads/echo-uat/echoUAT-User-and-Installation-Guide.pdf

Your 327 will work fine with the Echo, either hardwired with the ?mux? or by sniffing, either way is fine, only advantage to the hardwire/mux setup is the ability to use anonymous mode.

That's a new one on me. I use anonymous mode with sniffing on my Echo. It's set by checking a box in the app and stays that way. I have been told that the wing tip and tail units uncheck this option at the first discreet code and do not reset it afterwards, requiring it to be set again on the ground. My Echo keeps the selection.

Jim

Jim,
That’s good info, I assumed the logic was the same for the other sniffing units, so I haven’t even tried to use the anonymous feature. Im sniffing now after an unsuccessful attempt at hardwiring, after checking and rechecking my installation and configurations and several calls to tech support, they deemed I had a faulty mux and sent me a new one, but I haven’t installed it yet, the sniffing setup seems to work good. I’m going to go back into my settings before I fly next time and try anonymous mode. Thanks for the heads up!

I have access on my F1 when I remove the cowl to get to the rear of the avionics its just the 430 is buried with wiring everywhere. I can easily get to the 327. Is there any disadvantage to using it in lieu of the 430? I dont necessarily need ADSB on the GRT EFIS displays as I have a 796 as well and don't fly IFR. I used the Skybeacon on my Husky and it was a lot easier. If its too involved ill probably just have it done by an avionics tech

It’s not really a matter of one or the other, and you are correct you don’t need to feed adsb info to your display, the echo can send this data wirelessly to you handheld/iPad etc. For the simplest install you don’t have to connect anything to the 327, the Echo obtains data from the transponder wirelessly. You must however get WAAS gps data (rs232) from the 430, this is a single wire from the 430.

a
.....I can easily get to the 327. Is there any disadvantage to using it in lieu of the 430? I dont necessarily need ADSB on the GRT EFIS displays as I have a 796 as well and don't fly IFR.

I guess I don't understand. There is no "in lieu" or either or. The Echo needs to get position information from either a WAAS-approved panel navigator like your 430W or from an external GPS stand alone unit like the SkyFX. The GTX 327 doesn't have anything to do with position source. The transponder's job is to feed the Echo your squawk code and pressure altitude. This is the same reason the Echo can work with the old tube type Mode C transponders from the 70's (but they had better be in perfect shape). The 430W's job is to feed WAAS GPS position to the Echo. So the tasks each are different for the transponder and 430W and there is no cross-over in functionality. You don't have to access the GTX 327 wiring, only the 430W. Unless, and this is a very outside chance, the 430W is already hooked up to the GTX 327 via RS 232 and sends position to it. Then the GTX could pass it through to the Echo on it's RS 232 output channel. Since there would have never been any need to send position to the GTX 327 for any reason under the Sun this is most likely not the case.

If you are worried about dealing with the 430W you could opt to buy the SkyFX external WAAS source unit and mount it under your cowling on a shelf. That will work great with the Echo and you don't get into the 430W wire bundle. The cost between the SkyFX and hiring an avionics shop to do the 430W work might be a wash.

If you are uncomfortable doing the wiring and pinning work you could hire an avionics shop or ask around at local EAA Chapters for advice. There is usually a "sparkie" type who has the tools and knowledge and loves to come over and help.

Last edited:
...For the simplest install you don’t have to connect anything to the 327, the Echo obtains data from the transponder wirelessly...

Appears to be a general misconception.
I understand that the exhoUAT gets the squawk/ModeC data from its power wire. In other words, the transponder (not being perfectly filtered) loads its power wire with the signals it transmits. This, through the rest of the power system wires in the airplane, reaches the echoUAT power wire.

By "loads", imagine blinking your landing lights. That intermittent load might be seen in other light bulbs in the airplane -- how strongly depends on wire size and condition of battery and alternator.

Now, the uAvionix tailBeacon and skyBeacon may be getting the info from the transponder antenna -- I'm not sure.

Nope, " uAvionix's patented power transcoder technology seamlessly communicates with your existing transponder, any transponder, over your aircraft's electrical system. "

That puts and end to the old wives tale that the tailBeacon and skyBeacon may erroneously read and use a nearby aircraft's squawk/ModeC data.

That may also be the reason for having to adjust the "sensitivity": Power circuit on newer transponders may be better filtered, thicker/shorter power wires in some airplanes compared to others, better battery, and so on. So a sensitivity setting in one airplane may not work in a similar airplane.

Finn

Last edited:
What Finn said

👍🏻....... been there, done that.....works as stated.....micro voltage pickup by UAT.

...If you are worried about dealing with the 430W you could opt to buy the SkyFX external WAAS source unit and mount it under your cowling on a shelf. That will work great with the Echo and you don't get into the 430W wire bundle. The cost between the SkyFX and hiring an avionics shop to do the 430W work might be a wash.

Or even finding one available with time to do it.

echoUAT Install

After removing my GNS530W and taking it to the avionics shop and paying them to do the software update required for the echo, having them make an antenna cable and put the pin on the RS232 wire, moving another antenna so they were 3' apart, I decided a tail beacon would have been the way to go. Since I already had the complete instrument panel torn up I went ahead and installed it. After 2 flights it passed. In hind site (I have also installed a wingtip unit) I would have bought the tail beacon unit which takes only a few minutes to install and probably would have passed on the first flight.

After removing my GNS530W and taking it to the avionics shop and paying them to do the software update required for the echo, having them make an antenna cable and put the pin on the RS232 wire, moving another antenna so they were 3' apart, I decided a tail beacon would have been the way to go. Since I already had the complete instrument panel torn up I went ahead and installed it. After 2 flights it passed. In hind site (I have also installed a wingtip unit) I would have bought the tail beacon unit which takes only a few minutes to install and probably would have passed on the first flight.

Just be careful with the tailbeacon because some people have their anti-collision light in the tail and if you remove it then you won't be able to fly at night. The tailbeacon has a light but not a strobe. Search the forums for lots of info on this.

Thanks for the help guys. It appears that the one of the 430 RS 232 outputs is already being used. Pin 56 on the 430 is being shared with a wire that was feeding a 396 cable that I am not going to be using using. I pulled a few harnesses out of the way to see everything. Is it acceptable to share an output between devices or do I need to use one of the other 430 RS 232 outputs? I think the other wire may go to one of the GRT display inputs.

Yes/no. One rs232 out may be split to several devices? rs232-in?s. BUT everything so connected will get the same data, same format, same baud rate. It is highly unlikely that any other device can use the ?ADSB+? format needed for adsb-out devices, and vice versa.
I think you?re stuck running a new wire to an unused rs232-out pin.
And yes, if I had it to do over again, I?d have had Stein connect a short length of wire to every rs232 port, used at that time or not. It would have made adsb-out installation a snap for me.

Thanks Bob I bet you are correct the baud rate will be an issue. It looks like I am going to have to start digging in. I wish Stein would have ran extra wires as well. My panel is stuffed tight with wires and gear with not much room. I ordered the pins so hopefully its not too bad

My panel is stuffed tight with wires and gear with not much room.

You would think cable was so expensive !!!! I can't move anything behind my panel more than an inch. It's been a hassle to do the upgrades I'm doing.

My next big upgrade in a couple of years will be the entire panel and if I don't wire it myself the first line item will be 12" service loop on EVERY wire so I can remove the panel and disconnect things without having to hire a 3' tall helper with 4' long skinny arms to get under the panel and disconnect things without breaking anything !

Your 327 will work fine with the Echo, either hardwired with the ?mux? or by sniffing, either way is fine, only advantage to the hardwire/mux setup is the ability to use anonymous mode...

I understood the MUX cable was provided if requested (at no charge). Looking at the UAvionix site this item is $75 bucks. What gives?

I tried to hard wire my Echo into my system but I cant seem to find the configuration to make it all work. I have a GTX327, GTN650 and D180. The Dynon is the altitude encoder (serial), and the GTN drives the 327 as a remote head (serial). The 650 provides the position source to the Echo. I had to split the serial shared by the transponder to the Echo and apparently the Echo does not like the config setting of "Remote GTX".

Not sure if the mux cable will help or I have to just sniff?

I don?t have any of this stuff but would be very surprised if the Echo will accept anything other than ?ADSB+?, which will not work with the 327.

Next time I will wait to do any avionics upgrades and find someone that works on experimentals. I think I have it ready to do a test flight this weekend to make sure. I still need to tie in my two GRT EFIS displays but its so tight I think Ill take a break. Ny hands are all chewed up and need to heal!

Back