What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Things to see at Van Nuys ?

pa38112

Well Known Member
On our next trip to CA my wife is actually letting me do something I want. I thought I would go check out Van Nuys. Could any locals tell me how to check it out? I find most big airports to be boring, but keep hearing how awesome it is to be at Van Nuys. Is there any truth to that, and how do I find it?

Van nuys

94th aero Sqn for Sunday brunch, first class
On north west corner of 16 right.

Van nuys

Brain fart, northeast corner, and stay
?Airtell motel? southeast corner, look
Out over the swimming pool and look
At your plane. Airtell has there own
Aircraft parking. Never been to van nuys
Without doing those two things, never
Been disappointed yet.

Catalina

If you are in a plane, why not 30 min more and hit Catalina for a bison burger? The runway is re done and the cafe is on the airport.

I ate at Van Nuys? airtell restaurant 10 years ago and it was pretty good. A lot of the high end charter jet crews stay there, pilots and flight attendants, so it cant be that bad.

But seriously, with a plane in LA there are lots of things to do besides hang out at Van Nuys.

If you dont have a plane, I am sure there are other things to do near Van Nuys, but havent been up there for 10 years or more, sorry cant help u further.

Anywhere Else

The nostalgia of "16 Right" (the movie) departed VNY years ago, heck, decades. I soloed off 34R in 1969 when it was the busiest GA airport in the nation. Still had derelict WWII aircraft here and there among hundreds of Cessnas, Pipers ... obvious from every vantage point.

Driving around the perimeter now not an airplane in sight (only a slight exaggeration) for the immense shoulder-to-shoulder corporate hangars, all that's visible from the outside. Check AirNav and notice the FBO brands. Heavens! Bring all your credit cards.

Other than Whiteman nearby or Torrance further south, the piston GA action has moved east and northwest. Consider Camarillo, Santa Paula, Upland, Chino, Corona, just about anything but Van Nuys.

John Siebold

Van Nuys airport

I used to be based there when it was friendlier to small planes. Mostly jets now but they have turned the former Army National Guard C130 base into a GA "prop plane" park. Don't know if there are any tie-downs for visitors there though. Otherwise its the big FBO's and $$, expensive fuel.

The Airtel Hotel has free parking if you stay there and as others have mentioned pretty nice place but unknown how expensive.

I concur that KSZP Santa Paula airport is worth a visit. Situated not far inland from the ocean, decent restaurant, interesting planes and hangars, and easy walk into "town" and 40's looking Main street and a few restaurants. Steve McQueen's old hangar is still there at the north end of Runway.

Chino KCNO has lots to see, two museums and cheap fuel.

Catalina "airport in the sky" is worth a visit as previously mentioned. Landing fee however and you can catch a shuttle for a fee for the 30 minute drive into Avalon town.

Enjoy your visit to So Cal

There are 2 transient tiedowns at "The Park" at VNY. That is way up from the zero there used to be.

Ed Holyoke

Back