What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A visits the Space Shuttle Landing Facility

tc1234c

Well Known Member
This afternoon I took two of my neighbors to the Space Shuttle Landing Facility for a low approach (2nd airplane was on the wing and not shown). The weather was perfect and the tail cam video came out very nice. I only flew enroute and the RV8A owner, Dane S. did the take off, low approach and landing. So, I can not claim credit of the good job.

We were initially cleared to 500'. After passing a semi on the runway, we were cleared to 100'.

Click the photo below to start the video:

Nice video, Ted. I like the score...very soothing!

In a former job a little over a year ago, we visited the SLF and set a speed record with the Hennessey Venom GT. Peak ground speed = 270.49 mph. It took about 44 seconds and 2.8 miles to hit that speed from nearly a standing start (we did a U-turn in the threshold to get a little jump) and about 0.8 miles for braking. You can see the shuttle's mate/demate device in the background. Kinda sad.....just a useless pile of scrap iron now.

Thanks for good memory Ted. We are proud to live in the era of Moon landing, Concord and Space Shuttle.

Nice video, Ted. I like the score...very soothing!

In a former job a little over a year ago, we visited the SLF and set a speed record with the Hennessey Venom GT. Peak ground speed = 270.49 mph. It took about 44 seconds and 2.8 miles to hit that speed from nearly a standing start (we did a U-turn in the threshold to get a little jump) and about 0.8 miles for braking. You can see the shuttle's mate/demate device in the background. Kinda sad.....just a useless pile of scrap iron now.

Cool car, much faster than my airplane! Wonder what else SLF is being used for.

Back