What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A #92229

MercFE

Well Known Member
Been a busy week with work, but have finally jumped into our build. Having the extra hands of a couple kids definitely helps move it along.

Started Saturday and up to match drilling HS skins. Hope to have the parts primed this weekend and assembled by the next.

Special thanks to Zuldarin for taking time out of finishing up his project to answer all my questions!

Great news for your entire family!

One thing I would strongly recommend is setting the HS aside and start on the VS. The reason is the first rivets you set on the HS are down in the nose and have limited access. The VS is much easier to build and build up your confidence in your riveting skills.

Once your VS is finished, come back to the HS.

(I started on the HS and had to replace a skin and those pesky nose ribs.)

Great start! Yessir, the nose ribs are a pain. I found that grinding a 45-degree bevel in a bucking bar helped immensely to get in those tight spots. Keep the photos coming. :):)

I toyed with the idea of starting with the VS, as many people have mentioned. However, starting out, I did notice that the instructions for the HS were a lot more clear, wear Vans waters down the VS a bit as the build progresses. I know this was done as a learning tool, which will continue throughout the build.

I've really considered finishing the prep work on the HS, then set it aside to prep the VS. Once all the pre-rivet prep is done, I can prime all the parts at the same time, then go back to the VS for riveting first, finishing with the HS.

One thing I would strongly recommend is setting the HS aside and start on the VS. The reason is the first rivets you set on the HS are down in the nose and have limited access. The VS is much easier to build and build up your confidence in your riveting skills.

Once your VS is finished, come back to the HS.

(I started on the HS and had to replace a skin and those pesky nose ribs.)

HS

Victor
If the 9 HS was modified like the 7 due to the Service Bulletin, I agree with building the VS first. I just rebuilt my HS doing the SB and used the revised plans and manual pages. There were some gotchas I wouldn't have caught as a new builder. Vans HS manual pages could use some editing.
VS is much easier.

Victor
If the 9 HS was modified like the 7 due to the Service Bulletin, I agree with building the VS first. I just rebuilt my HS doing the SB and used the revised plans and manual pages. There were some gotchas I wouldn't have caught as a new builder. Vans HS manual pages could use some editing.
VS is much easier.

+1 for what Bill said. The VS is an easier place to start. The HS of the 9 is different from the 7 and isn't affected by the SB.

Victor, if you go with the HS first, do NOT get discouraged if you bugger up the nose rib rivets. Replacement skins and ribs are not that expensive. Besides, then you will have extra aluminum to make custom parts with like this fuel sampler holder:

(Click to enlarge)

Great news Victor! Stick to the plans and you will be all right.

It's only 5 years from here

to here

Start modding and the timeframe will stretch :D

Good luck with your project!

Lots of help here, so ask away and use the forum search capability to see into the vast knowledge base of VAF.

Take lots of pictures along the way. Trust me, you will forget half of what you did during the build as you get a few years in...

Good luck! I got my empennage almost 1 year ago and have number #92188. Nice to know that VANS sold 41 RV9 empennage kits since then... :)

Well... Have a question for the collective. I think this is a build on kind of moment, but want to make sure.

Screwed up the fabrication of HS-908-L/R early on. Didn't notice the dimension on the lower ledge being shorter than the material...

Anyways, was able to source a short piece of replacement material. Checked measurements several times. Cut large and polished down to size. Everything was great until I drilled the 1/8" holes.

Of the 9 holes drilled, they all came out very close to where they need to be, not all exact. However, when drilling the one marked as being the alignment hole, stressed by the plans as needing to be very accurate, the bit walked on me a good bit. The hole is about 1/16" low.

I'm guessing this will cause the cause the HS to sit a bit lower in the front, but will still clear the fuselage due to the use of the intersection fairing. The good news is that this was the first one I drilled, so I could transfer the measurements to the second so that both pieces are off by the same amount.

Fab part

Victor
I would fab new parts.
Center punch exactly on the mark.
Use a small pilot drill first. #40 or smaller.
Turn the drill by hand a few turns. Take a look to confirm the hole is on center.
Drill a few turns. Take a look. If all is good, drill the hole.
Use larger bits to creep up on final size.
Use a reamer to drill final size.

IIRC, there are no matching holes on the HS for these parts. If that is the case, position that part on the HS in the correct place, and make sure there is enough edge distance for the holes, if you install the current part.

If you can't position the part on the HS correctly, you will have to make a new bracket.

Good luck and if this is the only part you ever bugger up, you are a much better builder than the rest of us.

There is the one hole in the HS spar that you are to align the top middle hole in the part with, then match drill the remaining holes.

Installing the part on the spar, I do have edge distance and clearance with the other parts... However, like I said, the leading edge of the HS would be 1/16" lower than it would be by plan.

Here's a couple photos to show it installed...

Great to see your progress Victor. I am very much looking forward to following your progress for reasons we are both aware of.

Please do keep us posted as things progress.

Go get 'em, Victor ...

Great to see you're making obvious progress. There's been lots of good advice offered to you already ... as you know, MANY knowledgable people frequent VAF. Keep up the good work ... we love seeing another bird join the 9/9A family!

That's a great speed Victor. Your HS bracket looks better then mine. :)
Two suggestions; 1. Ask a moderator to move your thread to "My Building Project" instead of "RV9A" and 2. Put a deposit on wings in four weeks :)

Making progress

Went ahead and moved on to prep the VS. Figured I could finish up all the parts so that I can prime the HS and VS parts at same time.

I also took all of your advice and reattempted the HS attachment brackets. The use of the center punch helped out tremendously, and these are finally completed.

Now, to figure out countersinking and priming. LOL

Congratulations on the big leap in this wonderful hobby. I made a similar mistake on those pesky attach angles and built a second set. Made me rethink the speed at which I was trying to build the plane. Great advice from all that have chimed in - keep bangin' them rivets.

New brackets

New brackets look very nice. Well done. You will feel better.
As far as countersinking, use scrap to set the cage. Every time. Don't assume it stays exactly where you left it. Check Section 5 for max limits on diameter. Most of us have two or three cages so two can be dedicated to #30 & #40. Make sure it can't hit the drill chuck at the bottom of travel or you will see inconsistent results.
Priming is easy too. Lots of threads in the "Priming" section depending on which product you choose.

Been a busy couple weeks with working a late shift and a couple weekends, but have made some progress.

Still need to update my blog, but let's just say it involves this little guy and a few more of his friends.

Back