What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PC based flight planning Software?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I'm looking for new PC based flight planning software that includes VFR sectionals at a reasonable cost.

I've been using Golden Eagle Flight Prep with expired data (I did not renew my subscription after they stuff they pulled with Runway Finder). However, I'm migrating to a new laptop and can't figure out how to migrate the expired sectionals. Therefore, I looking for other options.

I know there are free online tools and iPad packages but I want an inexpensive PC based package.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

I was very satisfied with Voyager from seattleavionics.com , which I used for 3 years. They have both a free and a for-pay version. Now I mostly use Foreflight since I got an iPad mini, but there are times when I like to do some planning on my pc; mostly when I want a larger screen or to print something.

Jim Berry
RV-10

flight plan.com
VFR and IFR charts, EAPIS if you are crossing the border. They have generic performance data for RVs or you can input and tweak you own data. Just lots of very useful stuff and it is free.
I have also been looking at weathermeister and it seems really useful too.

East. PocketFMS. Plan om a pc, save to the sky, download on any android device, apple device or another pc for in flight moving map etc.

Lockheed Martin Flight Service is a DUAT. Can't go wrong there. I have even had a briefer call me back to answer some of my questions. It's free, easy to use, has everything you need. Check it out at

afss.com

~J~

I am both an AOPA member and a subscriber to Weathermister. Last I checked the free FlyQ is the online version.

What I liked about the Flight Prep (with sectionals), is that I could plan various specific routes for cross country planning. For example, in a couple of weeks I'll be flying from DFW - Pensacola - Jacksonville - Jupiter - Pensacola then home. There are a lot of restricted areas and MOA's along the route. Flight Prep was pretty good for planning this type of trip - I'm just not sure I want to give them my money again.

Inexpensive (to me) is under $100, but I am willing to pay more to get the features I want.

I've tried the free on-line version of flight_plan.com, but I'll look at then & Voyager.

Same here. This is the first place I look to get a scan and choose an altitude.
I really like weathermeister for this too. It's great for weather, though it doesn't really have much non-weather flight plan functionality.

Just got foreflight and am liking it so far, especially for the ability to use it off-line. It would really be nice if foreflight had the same first screen that weathermeister does in terms of the altitude flight path profile (terrain/altitude cross-section). Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

Last edited:
1. Weathermeister.com not free but under $100 a year
2. AirNav.com and it is free.
3. Flightsoft (rmstek.com) Dated but it works great for planning. Over your $100 price
4. iPad and Wing X or foreflight

I am not that experienced but this has gotten me from SoCal to OSH and back 3 times.

I use #3 for getting the "big" at home and 1,2,4 on the road. Works for me.

No internet required options

A lot of good replies but when I say PC based on mean standalone WITHOUT an internet connection.

Right now I'm leaning towards Jepp Flightstar for $149.

Hello Rick,

AFS video has Rob showing how to save a computer based AOPA Flight Plan to SD card then have the Advanced Flight Systems 5000 series EFIS fly it for you. MOAs Restricted and Wx included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvr00SeJi-0

pk

This was the old Jeppesen AOPA flight planner. AOPA "upgraded" the flight planner months ago and it was an abortion - nothing worked properly. VERY SLOWLY they are fixing things and bringing features back - still cannot export flight plans to upload into an EFIS (a capability I really enjoyed). I just recently called AOPA and asked about when this feature will come back. They couldn't tell me when or if it will be added. How this program was released so prematurely is beyond me.

Flight planning software

I use FlightSoft Pro from RMS Technologies. Great mapping, great tools for IFR as well.

I'm looking for new PC based flight planning software that includes VFR sectionals at a reasonable cost.

I've been using Golden Eagle Flight Prep with expired data (I did not renew my subscription after they stuff they pulled with Runway Finder). However, I'm migrating to a new laptop and can't figure out how to migrate the expired sectionals. Therefore, I looking for other options.

I know there are free online tools and iPad packages but I want an inexpensive PC based package.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Does anybody know of a flight planner with an export capability. The old AOPA planner used to do it but the new one is horrible at best.

:cool:

Flightsoft will run as a stand alone program. You can take it with you on a USB drive as well. Really you only need the internet for updates.

Back