What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Couple of questions

Fenderbean

Well Known Member
Hi everyone getting closer for me till the RV-10 QB purchase and like most looking over all the recommended and optional mods for these things.

I was trying to see if anyone out there has used the showplanes rv-10 composite tailcone skin, I have seen a few using the cowl but nothing on this particular mod. I really like the way it makes the plane look and I guess my only worry is strength compared to stock. This will be an IFR platform and with family travel so safety/reliability is a top concern.

I have found the the recommended RV10 changes but nothing on the "don't" for this type of aircraft. A big unknown is the motor & the electronics associated with that.

If anyone lives around Huntsville AL thats willing to talk or help me decide on things in the future let me know. Willing to learn from someone who has been there. Thanks

https://www.showplanes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CTS-10

You won’t go wrong using the Vans recommended engine and prop combo.

Unless you are trying to go minimum cost, Dynon + Avidyne IFR GPS or Garmin full suite are approximately the same price and same feature set and are absolutely incredible.

I have the ShowPlanes RV 8 Fastback conversion[done]. I really think Brian the owner really knows what he is doing, plus very helpful. I wouldn't think twice if you wanted any Showplanes kit! And no I don't know him all that well or paid to say this, just really impressed with his stuff. Mike

I didnt even know this thing existed. To each their own... even knowing it existed, I cannot imagine why I would use this on my -10. I think there are a ton of other modifications/upgrades I would do before doing this.

I didnt even know this thing existed. To each their own... even knowing it existed, I cannot imagine why I would use this on my -10. I think there are a ton of other modifications/upgrades I would do before doing this.
Thanks for the information, its crazy from this point looking ahead.

Doesn't seem like a major mod from the looks of the parts associated with it. That being said I have no experience building a kit, this will be my first. Besides the fantastic look being able to put things under the skin is a big perk.

"New composite skin will allow for GPS, ELT and other top surface mounted antennas to be hidden within the tailcone structure. No longer having unsightly antennas and the air drag associated with them."

I put my stuff on an equipment shelf in the tailcone right behind the baggage bulkhead. The only antenna that i have back there is the ELT antenna - and a word of caution... not all inspectors will allow you to put it inside the aircraft. Even though these are experimental, my DAR told me that I had to install the antenna according to the instructions that came with the ELT.

Thanks for that, interesting how GA seems to get left behind more current technology because this very thing. I guess that's also something to consider out the gate. I haven't researched yet but I would assume there is a standard checklist but that's just me guess/assuming which is never good
:D

I love the looks of that tailcone mod, but since that mod takes place so early in the build, I didn’t deem myself ready to start deviating from the plans to do it. Maybe next time.

I put my stuff on an equipment shelf in the tailcone right behind the baggage bulkhead. The only antenna that i have back there is the ELT antenna - and a word of caution... not all inspectors will allow you to put it inside the aircraft. Even though these are experimental, my DAR told me that I had to install the antenna according to the instructions that came with the ELT.

I understand the reason is the aluminum skins will severely degrade the signal (limiting your chances of a rescue) which is why they have us install the ELT antennas under plexiglass or fiberglass, etc.

Last edited:
The canopy is fiberglass along with the cowl, antennas can be placed under each. Also, can put things under gear fairings and wing tips.

Alternatives

If you logic for changing the tail cone upper skin is antenna locations, there are alternatives.

I have my elt antenna running up the pillar behind the right door. There is a natural pocket there that protects/hides the antenna.

I have three GPS antennas all mounted inside an overhead console. No issues receiving the signal through the canopy.

I have the Archer Model 3 VOR antenna in the right wing tip.

The only antenna on the outside of the fuselage are the two comm bent whip and the small shark fin all on the belly.

There are a lot of mods that can be had for the RV10. They add up quick. Unless you have an unlimited budget, I would recommend going easy on the changes to the base kit, especially at the tail cone level. IMHO $2500 to change the rear upper skin seems like an expensive idea in search of a problem.

im planning to do a quick build, I love the look and the ability to keep things below. I have already decided to go with their cowl, this is the best part about experimental but also the worse. If you're not careful you can seriously add some cost to the project.

I understand the reason is the aluminum skins will severely degrade the signal (limiting your chances of a rescue) which is why they have us install the ELT antennas under plexiglass or fiberglass, etc.

What we think, and what is allowed are two different things. I wanted to put my antenna under the fiberglass canopy. The answer from the DAR (right or wrong) was that the antenna must be installed on the exterior of the aircraft, as it was designed.

What we think, and what is allowed are two different things. I wanted to put my antenna under the fiberglass canopy. The answer from the DAR (right or wrong) was that the antenna must be installed on the exterior of the aircraft, as it was designed.

Was that something in a reg or just his way/belief it should be? I have seen similar instances with the elt hidden is why I ask.

Was that something in a reg or just his way/belief it should be? I have seen similar instances with the elt hidden is why I ask.

There are several examples where ‘approved’ (often meaning TSO’d) equipment is required by the FARs, even for EAB aircraft. e.g., gps used for ifr, and ELTs. Strictly speaking the manufacturer’s installation instructions are part of the TSO. So if the instructions say the antenna has to be external, on the top aft part of the fuselage, then the DAR is enforcing the letter of the law. Some will be more logical, say that inside fiberglass is pretty much the same as external. And some will let horizontal installations under the stabilizer go unchallenged.

There are several examples where ‘approved’ (often meaning TSO’d) equipment is required by the FARs, even for EAB aircraft. e.g., gps used for ifr, and ELTs. Strictly speaking the manufacturer’s installation instructions are part of the TSO. So if the instructions say the antenna has to be external, on the top aft part of the fuselage, then the DAR is enforcing the letter of the law. Some will be more logical, say that inside fiberglass is pretty much the same as external. And some will let horizontal installations under the stabilizer go unchallenged.

^ This

The inspector told me that ELTs have to be installed in the approved manner in which they were designed. Every inspector is different. We could sit here all day and argue that if it was inside and you crashed, there is less likelihood the antenna would break off and 100 other reasons. That said, I needed him to sign off on my plane, so I installed it as required. Luckily a friend of mine used the same inspector and told me about it - so I called him up to confirm. Glad I did.

Thanks for the information, I looked at few ELTs and some have the built in antenna and like mentioned some have the antenna that connects to the external antenna. Guess picking an approved one with the antenna built on would be the way to go.

Last edited:
Fastback

I found the showplaces fastback AFTER I had the tailbone together.

Honestly, I almost drilled out the 200 rivets to remove the top skins necessary to do the install...but...I decided I wanted to get flying sooner rather than later.

If I were building another -10, I would definitely do the fastback mod, if for no other reason than I think the lines are better. The stock RV-10 is sharp but is reminiscent of a Navion, where the cabin top and tailcone meet. I like the profile line of the fastback better. JMO.

My DAR was equivocal when asked about the ELT antenna in the tailcone under the intersection fairing, so I moved it to the aft top in front of the vertical stab... no questions were raised. Experimentation is a wonderful thing. One of the things I need to test in Phase 1 is the speed increase from moving the antenna back where I had it originally - because the hole and extra coax are still there ;)

Back