What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX45R Remote Mount in Empennage

cderk

Well Known Member
Quick question for the brain trust...

has anyone successfully mounted their GTX45R behind the baggage bulkhead AND been able to get a Bluetooth connection to their G3X? According to the Pilot Guide, there are a few FIS-B weather products that ONLY work over Bluetooth, including the new products just released this week with the new software update.

My G3X does not see the 45R Bluetooth connection. Garmin says that its because its behind the baggage bulkhead, but even with it removed, it doesn’t work.

Thanks
Charlie

Attachments

• 50ADA44B-15CD-469E-91FE-E730ABEEDF9C.jpeg
    50ADA44B-15CD-469E-91FE-E730ABEEDF9C.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
bluetooth

I was planning on mounting mine back there...ended up putting it up front. Apparently the antenna is right behind the Garmin sticker. Which direction is yours mounted? Connector forward or aft?

Mine is mounted behind the baggage area just forward of the elevator bellcrank/servo and I have had no problem at all, including with the blue tooth connection.

I had the same connection issues and was 9” away. Do you have a GTN 6xx installed? The Bluetooth connection for the GTX45R must be turned on/set up through the GTN. Mike was the G3X Expert who knew how to solve this issue. Here is what I have in my notes:

On the GTN, hold down the Home button when powering up to enter configuration mode and go to Bluetooth or Connext (I didn’t remember which one after the fact, sorry). You should see the GTX45R and can select it. This will turn on the Bluetooth discovery function on the GTX45R. Then go to the PFD/MFD Bluetooth section (need to set up each if you want data on both) and select GTX45R to establish a connection. I think you will also want to hit Menu to establish an automatic connection at power up I but don’t see that in my notes.

Tom I got really excited for a minute there. I do have a GTN but I don’t see an option for connext or Bluetooth in the config menu. Mike helped me too and his response was that my transponder is too far away and the baggage bulkhead is the problem

I’m headed to the hangar today and will take a look. I wrote those notes using a very poor memory so may have missed a step. If you are not seeing the GTX45R as an option on the PFD to connect theGTX45R needs to be in discovery mode. I will post back later today hopefully with the correct steps and pictures.

Can you see the GTX45R on your cell phone or iPad?

I cannot - even standing right next to the 45R, which is why I don’t believe their assessment is correct.

Connext Setup

I cannot - even standing right next to the 45R, which is why I don’t believe their assessment is correct.

Charlie,

The Connext Setup menu can be found in Normal mode on the GTN 650. From the main menu, touch System and then Connext Setup. From here, see if you are able to locate the GTX using your phone from close range. If so, try with the GDU receiver next. We have seen issues with interference in some, but not all, installation locations similar to this in the past.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Charlie,

The Connext Setup menu can be found in Normal mode on the GTN 650. From the main menu, touch System and then Connext Setup. From here, see if you are able to locate the GTX using your phone from close range. If so, try with the GDU receiver next. We have seen issues with interference in some, but not all, installation locations similar to this in the past.

Thanks,

Justin

Works like a charm. Problem is that I had to enable the Bluetooth trough the GTN. Mike walked me through it. As soon as I did that the G3X saw it immediately.

Thanks

My memory must be non-existent or the software has changed. Justin is correct the Connect icon is on the home screen under System tab. Mine lists the GTX with a Bluetooth button right below it that needs to be enabled. At the bottom it states Pairing Mode Enabled. Until I turned on Bluetooth I never could see the GTX or get the supplemental weather data.

Thanks Tom. Working great now

Outstanding! Don’t forget to enable auto connect on the PFD and MFD so the GTX always connects at boot up. On each screen, hit menu/menu/Bluetooth/menu/ manage paired devices/auto connect next to GTX

I did that on the PFD... so I need to create a BT connection to the MFD as well?

Back