What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Emp Kit Ordered! 1st question

BryanG

Good evening,

After a few years of dreaming, 6 months of research, and 3-4 months of getting the shop ready...I have ordered an RV-10 empennage kit! Needless to say I am excited to get started.

The first of I'm sure many questions I have for the good folks on here is are there any things I should consider when building the tail in terms of future upgrades? For instance I have read about a lot of nice upgrades that i would like to incorporate into the build (i.e. safety trim, zip tips, A/C, etc.), but most of the stuff seems like I don't need to worry about it until later on in the build. I just don't want to get too far along on the tail before realizing there was something I missed and wish I would have thought about before starting.

Thank you,
Bryan

options

Most options for this part of the build can wait...Things like the safety trim may not even be necessary depending on your avionics...

Two things that I would do is the billet trim cable mounts:

https://iflyrv10.com/index.html

The other thing is running a conduit and doubler to the top of the vertical stab, if you plan on having a VOR/LOC/GS antenna there. It can be mounted elsewhere, or not at all but if you want it up there, make the doubler and run the conduit before you close the skin...

Most options for this part of the build can wait...Things like the safety trim may not even be necessary depending on your avionics...

Two things that I would do is the billet trim cable mounts:

https://iflyrv10.com/index.html

The other thing is running a conduit and doubler to the top of the vertical stab, if you plan on having a VOR/LOC/GS antenna there. It can be mounted elsewhere, or not at all but if you want it up there, make the doubler and run the conduit before you close the skin...

Thank you Bob, exactly the type of the thing I was looking for. I have always flown planes with VOR/LOC/GS so it is definitely something I'd like.

I’m positive that billet trim cable mount LOOKS better than the welded stainless one from vans, but are we sure it is stronger? Stainless, even a welded nut to a piece of sheet metal, is extremely strong. I worry about the threads ripping out in the aluminum one. If that billet one was machined steel or stainless it would be a no brainer, but the aluminum, with a steel fitting threaded into it doesn’t strike me as better.

mount

I cannot see how the threads could possibly pull out; the mount is there to hold the cable sheath on one end. The other end is also retained and the teleflex cable runs inside of the sheath.

The mount is there to secure the end of the sheath, position it at the proper angle, and to resist the bending force created from the S bend in the cable.

There would really be no way to pull the threads out. The billet has substantially more thread area than the welded nut, as well.

It was what I used but YMMV...

Back