What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Exhaust

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Getting ready to replace the exhaust on my RV-4. I have an IO-360 with a 4 into 2 crossover system. Any recommendations on what type I should use and what companies you recommend?

Oly

Talk to Larry Vetterman.

I asked him the same question and he told me the 4 pipe system. Thats what he was running on his personal plane.

Vetterman "Harley"4 pipe

I have the Vetterman 4 pipe on my -4...I have many compliments about the look and sound (peeps on ground know me by the sound), and its a maintenance free piece of art work. I built my own heat and carb heat muffs, but there are some others available.

4 into 1

A little bit more difficult to fit under the -4 cowl but I can't understand why the "tuned" 4 into 1 hasn't got a bigger following !

vetterman 4 pipe

My 4 has an 0-360 A1A with the four pipe Vettemran exhaust. Simple, easy to install, sounds great. Carb heat muff on left side and the double pipe cabin heat muff on the right. Plenty o' heat I might add. Talk to Larry.
Mark

Thanks to Axel and all that responded. Just talked to Clint at Vetterman exhaust and he's going to set me up with a 4 pipe system. He said they don't make the 4 into 2 crossovers anymore- the 4 pipe has better flow and more power. I've flown in the back of my buddy's 4 and I think it's smoother running and has better sound.

Thanks to all- exhaust will be ordered tomorrow.
Oly

RV4 Exhaust system

Just looked at this thread, I’m building a 4 and will be using a lycoming O320 D2G 160 hp, I do think the Veterman 4 pipe system will be the best. Those who are flying with it ,comments appreciated..

The 4 pipe is the standard for an Rv4. Mine has been great for 18 years. Just go with a vettermsm 4 pipe, you will be happy.

The 4-Pipe

I fabricated my own Carb heat muff on left side,and Cabin heat muff that uses both R/H pipes. Works great, but Robbins Wings I believe made one for this system if they are still in bussiness.

Attachments

• 4-Pipe.jpg
    4-Pipe.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 195
A little bit more difficult to fit under the -4 cowl but I can't understand why the "tuned" 4 into 1 hasn't got a bigger following !

A four pipe is easy, 4-into-1 perhaps a bit more fabrication. It does make for a clean exit, at least after all the test garbage is removed.

First two are augmented, Anders and Schmidtbauer, third is a non-augmented slot with enough bulge to clear the tailpipe

Attachments

• Dave Anders.jpg
    Dave Anders.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Brian Schmidtbauer.jpg
    Brian Schmidtbauer.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Variable Exit Closed.jpg
    Variable Exit Closed.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Back