What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Rewire

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
After a recent retrofit of an autopilot into an 8A, we found that the radio had stopped working, no doubt a wire is adrift somewhere, however the progressive wiring over the previous owners has the look of a spider taking a dump !
No labelling, no thought, multiple colours, electrical tape around D-Sub terminals..... Yeuch !

I have told the owner it needs to come out completely.

Does anyone have links to build logs with good snaps of panel wiring please. I would dearly love to go to a hub system, we loved our Approach Systems Pro G in our 7 and also the two Vans installs in the 12's. Not sure we have the budget for that as well as I no longer fly longhaul so we double the price on shipping.

Is the radio stopped working because you could not hear or transmit from your headset or the radio stopped working. I just finished wiring the radio with the intercom and there are a bunch of solder joints. Maybe one of these failed. If that is the case you may need to fix them. My wiring is specifically for the Dynon avionics so it may not resemble your setup

My Dynon SkyView Hub

Mike,

I came up with a low cost alternative for a hub board for the SkyView system. It is a nice, simple plug and play for almost everything in the SkyView system. You mount it behind your panel, and make simple harnesses for each module, plug it in, and after you wire the power harness and plug it in, you are ready to go.

3727D7E2-CFF0-473A-9111-7D652A6BD9DF.jpeg

If you have the SkyView system and interested, email me at [email protected]

Brian

Last edited:
Mike,

I came up with a low cost alternative for a hub board for the SkyView system. It is a nice, simple plug and play for almost everything in the SkyView system. You mount it behind your panel, and make simple harnesses for each module, plug it in, and after you wire the power harness and plug it in, you are ready to go.

View attachment 535

If you have the SkyView system and interested, email me at [email protected]

Brian

That looks like a neat idea but if I zoom in it looks as if that's a PC board. Who did the artwork and fabricated the board?

SkyView Board

Mike,

I designed the pc board and the 3D mount myself. I then sent the PC Board file over the pond, and about a week later, the boards arrive in my snail mail box. I buy all the connectors from Digikey, and heat up the old soldering iron, and about 30 min later, it is done.

I am looking about adding a few more connectors, to include the autopilot panel, trim servos and stick inputs. It will add about another 1 1/2 inches on the height of the board. Trying to keep it as small as I can.

It pretty much is a plug and play board for a dual screen SkyView system.

The board is 5” X 5” with about 1” wider and 1/2” higher for the mount. You bolt the board to the back panel, and plug in the bottom center connector, which is all your power wires, which will go to your circuit breakers, and grounds. Also on that connector is your autopilot disconnect wires. There is a separate one for the yaw, so you can engage it without engaging the pitch and roll servos.

Then you plug in the screens and the SkyView serial buses to one of the top left 9 pin DSUB. You make individual harnesses for each of the ADHARS, EMS, and ARINC modules and plug them into the remaining 3, 9 pin DSUB. The remaining 3 on the top are for each of your autopilot servos. They are all labeled.

You then make a harness for the transponder, and ADSB modules, and connect each to their proper connector on the board. Put a connector on the GPS, and plug it into the GPS connector. If you want to use the position source of you IFR GPS, run the RS232 output from it, into one of the pins of the GPS connector, and it goes through that lonely resistor on the board directly to the transponder serial input. If you want to use your old GPS 250 as a backup, you put a connector on the end of the harness and plug it into serial port 4 on the board. Serial port 3 can be used for your position input to the ELT or anything else as it has power, and a RS232 input/output from SkyView.

After you hook up everything, turn on the units, program it per my settings, and you are off.

The board is easy to use and makes a clean install, and a lot cheaper than vpx, and the AFS control module. It does not do electronic CB’s, it just allows easy interconnection for the SkyView system.

Brian

Last edited:
Mike,

I designed the pc board and the 3D mount myself. I then sent the PC Board file over the pond, and about a week later, the boards arrive in my snail mail box. I buy all the connectors from Digikey, and heat up the old soldering iron, and about 30 min later, it is done.

I am looking about adding a few more connectors, to include the autopilot panel, trim servos and stick inputs. It will add about another 1 1/2 inches on the height of the board. Trying to keep it as small as I can.

It pretty much is a plug and play board for a dual screen SkyView system.

The board is 5” X 5” with about 1” wider and 1/2” higher for the mount. You bolt the board to the back panel, and plug in the bottom center connector, which is all your power wires, which will go to your circuit breakers, and grounds. Also on that connector is your autopilot disconnect wires. There is a separate one for the yaw, so you can engage it without engaging the pitch and roll servos.

Then you plug in the screens and the SkyView serial buses to one of the top left 9 pin DSUB. You make individual harnesses for each of the ADHARS, EMS, and ARINC modules and plug them into the remaining 3, 9 pin DSUB. The remaining 3 on the top are for each of your autopilot servos. They are all labeled.

You then make a harness for the transponder, and ADSB modules, and connect each to their proper connector on the board. Put a connector on the GPS, and plug it into the GPS connector. If you want to use the position source of you IFR GPS, run the RS232 output from it, into one of the pins of the GPS connector, and it goes through that lonely resistor on the board directly to the transponder serial input. If you want to use your old GPS 250 as a backup, you put a connector on the end of the harness and plug it into serial port 4 on the board. Serial port 3 can be used for your position input to the ELT or anything else as it has power, and a RS232 input/output from SkyView.

After you hook up everything, turn on the units, program it per my settings, and you are off.

The board is easy to use and makes a clean install, and a lot cheaper than vpx, and the AFS control module. It does not do electronic CB’s, it just allows easy interconnection for the SkyView system.

Brian

What is carried along the PC traces other than ground?

Back