What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

best parachutes for RV's

moll780

Well Known Member
I have a -9A and I am thinking i need to pickup a couple of chutes.
I dont do any serious aerobatics but like to do the occasional roll or wing over. very occasional and at altitude but I think I would feel more comfortable with a couple of chutes.
Anyone have any inexpensive recommendations?

Chutes

Is your RV a tipup or slider? We've had lively posts about bailouts. Do some searches and you will have much entertainment. There is a need for some actual testing to determine if it is even possible to bail out of RV's. It would make a great wind tunnel test with engineering students on salvaged RVs.

Regarding your 'cheap' requirement, be aware that there is a limited life on parachutes and as the life is running out chutes get cheaper. Going to bet your life on an expired chute? Your pax?

In a 9A you should not be doing anything that would require a chute. If you want to do acro, trade your plane or work a plane sharing deal with someone with an acro plane.

When you violate the designer's limits, you are truly a test pilot.

Yes, there are plenty of lively debates.
I only do some very gentle maneuvers which would hardly be considered acro but wanted to stay legal with chutes.
No real acro and never pushing the design limits on the plane. never. And I don't consider a 61 degree bank angle or 31 degree climb acro
but a chute is required for pax and pilot.
I don't mind buying new chutes but don't want to spend top $$ for something that will be worn once every few months at the most and Im mostly concerned with whether they will fit properly.

Is your RV a tipup or slider? We've had lively posts about bailouts. Do some searches and you will have much entertainment. There is a need for some actual testing to determine if it is even possible to bail out of RV's. It would make a great wind tunnel test with engineering students on salvaged RVs.

Regarding your 'cheap' requirement, be aware that there is a limited life on parachutes and as the life is running out chutes get cheaper. Going to bet your life on an expired chute? Your pax?

In a 9A you should not be doing anything that would require a chute. If you want to do acro, trade your plane or work a plane sharing deal with someone with an acro plane.

When you violate the designer's limits, you are truly a test pilot.

Last edited:
used chutes

There is a standard blue book type pricing index for used chutes.
Basically it works on dividing the lifespan of the chute, (usually 20 years,) from the original purchase price. This method makes the value of a used chute a known number, even if rarely or never utilized.

Other issues with a used chute are having it porosity tested by any qualified and capable re-packer or original manufacturer. Also, there is the actual use and sun exposure issue.

A used chute that has little or no use and is around 10 years old is a cost effective purchase to cover your described need. Most manufacturers sell used chutes that have been inspected. A good way to go. I would not recommend buying one over 10 years old due to the resale oppertunity being limited when you are done with them. Just my thoughts. I am a skydiver, although I am not a parachute professional. Do your own due dilligence starting with the different manufacturers for accurate information.

Ask the chute people

Hi

I have recently bought a parachute for my testing regime and when I do aero's in the 8. I would recommend that you ask the manufactures what they recommend, I found each chute maker knows which one of their products are best for the various models.

Mine is a seat type from Softie. I fits "comfortably" (if there is such a thing as a comfortable parachute) They can also recommend the canopy size etc needed based on your weight.

Good luck with your 9.

Jim

Remember, after 180 days your "occasionally" used chute will have to be repacked. So, even if you aren't using it, the clock is ticking.

Solo Operations with Out-Of-Date chutes???

Remember, after 180 days your "occasionally" used chute will have to be repacked. So, even if you aren't using it, the clock is ticking.

I have a question about this...

If I decide to wear a chute during solo aerobatics or during solo test phase in which wearing a chute is not required by regulation, does the chute I wear have to be up-to-date with inspections?

I have a question about this...

If I decide to wear a chute during solo aerobatics or during solo test phase in which wearing a chute is not required by regulation, does the chute I wear have to be up-to-date with inspections?

There's a difference between "could" and "should".

If the chute is not legally required, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not. If your activities legally require a chute, then the chute has to be legal. I see this like the entire experimental class - the items that are required to meet spec are inspected to meet spec - the rest of it is up to us. If the pilot can mentally be OK with a chute that is past 180 days re-pack or older than its paper lifetime and is willing to take his/her chances during Phase I or solo aerobatics with that, then so be it as far as I'm concerned. During those times the chute is essentially the same as a handheld GPS on IFR flight - to be used for reference only, not for primary purposes. Of course, if things go south and you have to bail and depend on that chute and it lets you down rather abruptly instead of gently, you know what the NTSB report is going to sound like.

In my 172 I have a full IFR suite of instrumentation but I'm not IFR rated. I update my GPS database only about every 6 months instead of 28 days. I don't use it for IFR since I'm not IFR rated. I use it for reference during VFR flight only. Once I finish my IFR rating I will update it on the 28 day schedule and use it because thats what is required for that use.

Last edited:
If we are talking "legal"....

I only do some very gentle maneuvers which would hardly be considered acro but wanted to stay legal with chutes.
No real acro and never pushing the design limits on the plane. never. And I don't consider a 61 degree bank angle or 31 degree climb acro
but a chute is required for pax and pilot.

Please read your operating limitations. What YOU consider acro doesn't matter to the FAA.

Paragraph (15) of your op lims should say something like;
"This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight, that is an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in the aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration not necessary for normal flight."

Last edited:
There's a difference between "could" and "should".

If the chute is not legally required, it doesn't matter if it's legal or not. If your activities legally require a chute, then the chute has to be legal.
Uhh, you sure about that? Doesn't 91.307 apply?

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger?

(1) Within the preceding 180 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within the preceding 60 days, if any part of the parachute is composed of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber or materials not specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section.​

That seems to be pretty clear that you may not carry a chute that is out of date, regardless of whether a FAR requires it. This is consistent with the guidance of our club's rigger (always good to have a rigger as a member in your glider club).

TODR

Uhh, you sure about that? Doesn't 91.307 apply?

(a) No pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a parachute that is available for emergency use to be carried in that aircraft unless it is an approved type and has been packed by a certificated and appropriately rated parachute rigger?

(1) Within the preceding 180 days, if its canopy, shrouds, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or other similar synthetic fiber or materials that are substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, or other fungi and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within the preceding 60 days, if any part of the parachute is composed of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber or materials not specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section.​

That seems to be pretty clear that you may not carry a chute that is out of date, regardless of whether a FAR requires it. This is consistent with the guidance of our club's rigger (always good to have a rigger as a member in your glider club).

TODR

Huh.... learned something today.... I wouldn't have figured that.

*sits down, shuts up*

perhaps yet another example where common sense supercedes blind compliance... I too learned something - thanks!

Softies

I had 2 Softies made up with sheep skin backing which is comfortable and cool. I also had quick release buckles put on that I can disconnect under load (in case if it going to be a water landing, I want to slip out of the harness when my feet touch the water so the chute floats away from me and does not become a hazard), and had a "riser cutter" installed into the harness so I can cut the risers if I am being dragged on the ground.

Best Fitting/Most Used Parachutes in RVs

Reopening this thread with a focus on the original question. Which parachutes are the best fitting in RVs and/or most used in RVs? There's a universe of parachute to learn but I'm hoping to skip much of the stuff that's not applicable to RVs. Parachute regs are important but for now, I'm just looking at which kinds or brands fit well in RVs and what most folks are actually using.

Last edited:
Reopening this thread with a focus on the original question.... Parachute regs are important but for now, I'm just looking at which kinds or brands fit well in RVs and what most folks are actually using.

There are times when I'm legally required to wear a parachute whether or not I can successfully use it. Anyone care to help with the original question?

Reopening this thread with a focus on the original question. Which parachutes are the best fitting in RVs and/or most used in RVs? There's a universe of parachute to learn but I'm hoping to skip much of the stuff that's not applicable to RVs. Parachute regs are important but for now, I'm just looking at which kinds or brands fit well in RVs and what most folks are actually using.

I use a Softie mini wedge in my -6A. It fits ok, once I remove the seat back. If it were any thicker, I'd be out of leg room but I'm 6'5" as it is.

I wore it for the entirety of my phase one (40 hours) and still strap it on for acro.

Last edited:
When a friend of mine and I bought our RV-6, we also bought a pair of Softies. They're made in our area. We just got the basic "Mini" model. They're comfortable (or at least we're used to them), about the same size and shape as the RV-6 seat cushions (which we remove).

Expensive, sure. But we knew that one of the most enjoyable things to do with a two-seat aerobatic airplane is to take our friends up and introduce them to unusual attitudes. And we're pretty young, and hope to continue flying "fun" airplanes of some kind for another 20 years at the very least. So it was a good purchase.

One of my instructors owns a tailwheel Cessna (in which I got my TW endorsement) and an RV-4. He puts a parachute on every time he gets into the RV-4, or any other homebuilt. I like that approach. It's one of those things, like a hand-held comm and a Spot tracker, that makes me (and my passengers) feel just a little safer. So I wear my Softie on almost every flight. I pretty much forget it's there by the time I take off.

parachute

Larry New,
Can't help much with the RV-7, but we pretty much have to use a seat pack and remove the seat in the RV-4. I have a softie, but have also used a Strong 304. If you can locate an IAC chapter, I'm sure they would let you try their different chutes during one of their practice fly-ins. I think your own butt and back could make a better decision than forum discussions.
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower Alabama

Parachute fitting

Aircraft Spruce has the sizes listed so you can make a much more informed choice.:)

My parachute in a -7

When I bought my -7 I knew that aerobatics would be in the flight profile so I went looking for a chute. The one I ended up with is a National back with a 425 canopy. With me at 5'10" 32" inseam i put the seat back all the way back and remove the back cushion. I drape a towel over the seat back to protect the chute from the Velcro. You can adjust the chute inside the rig a little to fit your personal needs. I think this is a good choice for me in the -7 I don't reposition the seat back for quick cross country flights I just wear the chute. My rigger speaks well of the chute and its construction I know very little about parachutes but would buy it again. One note if you are planning on lots of negative G's there may be better choices. As always fly safe have fun
Dave

Why is it almost every time one of these parachute discussions comes up, whether on a forum, or at the hangar, the part about "Are you trained and experienced with parachutes?", rarely gets a mention? Curious.

I see a lot of doubtful comments on wearing parachutes. While it does not make sense for everyone to wear silk, I think if we are doing aerobatics (even solo) or flying formation it's probably a good idea and here is why I think so. I used to do more soaring (flying gliders) in the recent past than I do today but there is a pretty set "parachute" culture in the soaring community. Pretty much everyone wears a parachute. When you race in a sanctioned event you have to wear a parachute as part of the rules. And then aerobatics with more than one pilot need it, and there is a lot of close proximity operations with other sailplanes and some arguable midair risk with that as it's "gaggle" style flying vs. trained formation. This naturally carries forward to most guys wearing chutes all the time weather they need to or not. Many sailplane pilots have been saved by parachutes due to mid air collisions, structural failures, flight control failures, etc. Most pilots I specifically ask are not sky dive trained but statistically soaring pilots seem to do OK by numbers when it comes to successful bailouts. I myself have formal skydive training but in an emergency bailout it's a lot different as it's all about unhooking and getting clear of the aircraft and then pulling the rip chord immediately. That's not skydiving, it's more like time critical survival.

The training question however is extremely valid - but I have a feeling the most important type of training one can have in a bailout is the ability to know how to egress first. We can do this every time we fly with a small, easy and quick mental exercise after each flight. For example the one thing I always do when I fly sailplanes after landing... I always do a "emergency bailout" drill as a part of getting out of the rig (and I was trained to do it by my instructors). I always open the canopy (without the emergency release handle of course) release the 6 point harness, visualize rolling out/egress and I even put my hand on the rip chord handle so that in an emergency the movements and steps are route muscle memory. After my little drill I am back to reality and go about my day but it's self training and discipline none the less, one little bit at a time.

If soaring is any example of a group of non sky divers that have utilized parachutes for years and had a lot of saves then I suspect an RV driver with silk would do well as long as they prepare mentally (and have an emergency release or slider or tip over canopy). As far as skydive training goes, once successful egress happens, just pulling the chord is really all it's going to take as there will be no time to arch and stabilize once egress is complete in most cases. But this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Why is it almost every time one of these parachute discussions comes up, whether on a forum, or at the hangar, the part about "Are you trained and experienced with parachutes?", rarely gets a mention? Curious.

Sport chutes and emergency chutes are different. A sport chute needs/wants you to be in a stabilized free fall much more so than an emergency chute, which makes no such assumptions.

At least that's how it was explained to me.

The problem...

Eddie, the only RV so far, that had a canopy opened enough to bail out was the guy who was on fire in the -8.

It has yet to be demonstrated that you could open the canopy, in flight, and bail out in either tip-ups or sliders.

The tip-over -4's will lose the canopy if it's opened in flight, as I've seen happen but none of the side-by-sides have proven that yet.

Best,

I get it, I do understand. There is a lot of conflicting information. Besides, who really *wants* to have to jump out of a plane they built and one they think they can handle all the way to the ground to land. I hope none of us ever have to make that choice or will be put in that position where we realize the choice has been presented regardless of what we think about the circumstances. Sometimes "fate is the hunter" but more often over time, physics and lady luck favor the prepared (physically, mentally, etc).

Gong back to the original post, I did not think the RV9 was approved by Vans for acrobatics, I am not saying you can not do a roll and get away with it but is something goes astray... You could exceed a G limit and if you bend anything I am pretty sure the insurance company will say have a great day.

I could be wrong but That is why I built a 7 instead so with about 25 gallons of fuel my wife and I could enjoy an hour of fun time.

Smilin' Jack

i put the seat back all the way back and remove the back cushion. I drape a towel over the seat back to protect the chute from the Velcro.
Dave

Classic Aero is building my seats as we speak (Write???)
I'm having them reverse the location of the Velcro. I want the loop on the seat back pan and the hook portion on the seat back itself. That way when I pull the seat back the hooks go with it and the soft loop portion of the Velcro will not attack my parachute.

RV Chute

I got loss with so many jumps in the thread

- First...I don't know which chute fits best but I used my National 425 Seat pack on a RV* and it was comfortable. I used by Softie Back Pack as well and it was to much padding for me....(im 6'2")

- Legally you only need a parachute on board if doing acro with a passenger. I still recommend you use one....

- If flying Solo or wearing one/........it must be certified within 180 calendar days (NOT 6 MONTHS)

- Someone mentioned about using an RV8 in a wind tunnel....Great Idea! we have N854RR crashed in our hangar if someone want to use it for this test...

- I THINK some of TEAM AERODINAMIX have come out with a Jettison able canopy In some of their models.......maybe they can share

There are times when I'm legally required to wear a parachute whether or not I can successfully use it. Anyone care to help with the original question?

I use a Mini-Softie in my RV-8. Since I'm 6'3, I remove the seat back cushion and am fairly comfortable for rides up to 1.5 hrs, although it does put me about 1" closer to the dashboard than I'd like. I don't use it on cross country flights.

-John

Back