What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools Required

jssaylor2007

How variable are the tools required between all the RV Kits? Like say between a -10 and a -14, or between a -14 and -9? Was wondering if they are basically all the same tools, but less clecos?

I got a call about a possible hangar availability coming up, so I'm in super duper kit research mode again. This will be my first ever build, but I anticipate doing another in the future. Kind of wondering if I shouldn't go for something simpler like a Rans to just get a feel for building an airplane, or if I should go all-out and do an RV-10. I know I'll eventually want a XC cruiser, but I know I'll also want something for landing in fields and such eventually as well.

your mission

How variable are the tools required between all the RV Kits? Like say between a -10 and a -14, or between a -14 and -9? Was wondering if they are basically all the same tools, but less clecos?

I got a call about a possible hangar availability coming up, so I'm in super duper kit research mode again. This will be my first ever build, but I anticipate doing another in the future. Kind of wondering if I shouldn't go for something simpler like a Rans to just get a feel for building an airplane, or if I should go all-out and do an RV-10. I know I'll eventually want a XC cruiser, but I know I'll also want something for landing in fields and such eventually as well.
Tell us about your mission. If you will always travel with 3-4 people then an RV-10 is a good choice. If you fly a lot by yourself or with one other person, then the RV-14 is your bird.

Lots of people have built an RV-10 or RV-14 as their first aircraft, and I know you are smarter and more capable than at least one of them!

Mission

So I have 2 missions, one would be a nice comfortable XC flyer that can get me and the family from TX to AL to see my in-laws. This is the mission I was looking at the -10 for. We currently only make this trip once or twice a year at the most, and we typically drive it. (LONG DRIVE) I do see us doing this more in the future, mostly because the in-laws aren't getting any younger. The one thing that concerns me about this is I don't know how often it would actually get used to haul more than just me solo.

The second mission, which would likely be used MUCH more than the first is a plane capable of mid distance XC, but capable of just putting around looking at crops.

These 2 are completely night and day differences, and probably can't be met by one aircraft. Wondering if I shouldn't build to the 2nd mission first since I'll actually use it more, and as my kids (4,6) get older I can build the -10 as we will probably be travelling more the older they get.

Answer...

Getting back to the OP's question of tools.

All of the kits will need similar tools except the -12 which uses many Pull Rivets. The kits involve drilling - dimpling - squeezing - riveting/bucking - composite finishing - painting etc.

See the detailed list of tools from Van's below:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/3-3/

Lots of variations maybe, but that's the basics

Now maybe I can get this back off track and ask Do you plan to prime? Fixed or CS prop? Avionics choice? Electrical system ? Mission? Tailwheel or nosegear? Slider or Tipper... ? :confused: Let the wars begin!

Back