What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question On Paint Prep (Plastic NACA Vents)

Reflex

Well Known Member
How did you prep the outside portion of your NACA air vents for paint?

They're plastic and I figure it would me much easier to prime/prep before they are installed.

If you primed now, what did you use on the plastic?

Most modern paint sticks fine to plastic. Adhesion promoters make the bond stronger, but shouldn't be necessary for the NACA vent.

Good cleaning is key with plastic to get rid of any mold release agents that may be present. Then just scuff with 220 then 400 and prime as any other part. If you prime in advance, you still need to scuff it later to get adhesion from the final primer coat.

Larry

Naca paint

Most modern paint sticks fine to plastic. Adhesion promoters make the bond stronger, but shouldn't be necessary for the NACA vent.

Good cleaning is key with plastic to get rid of any mold release agents that may be present. Then just scuff with 220 then 400 and prime as any other part. If you prime in advance, you still need to scuff it later to get adhesion from the final primer coat.

Larry

Basically what I did but don't paint the bonding area. I used a bunch of neodymium magnets and proseal to bond them.

Thanks for the responses, I should have asked a bitter question.

What did you use to prime the outside of the NACA Vent?

Thanks,

Fred

Thanks for the responses, I should have asked a bitter question.

What did you use to prime the outside of the NACA Vent?

Thanks,

Fred

I did not paint them in advance. They got the same epoxy primer that the rest of the airplane got during painting. I used three rivets (requires small backing plates) and silicone to secure the naca vents.

Larry

I had mine hydro-dipped in a carbon-fiber pattern. I intend for them to be masked for paint. I'm not sure how they were prepped for the dipping process but after drilling and countersinking for attachment, I can say it seems to adhere extremely well.

Just sand them up with 220 until it has no shine and prime with whatever you are priming with. Figure out how you want to install SS bug screen (if your going to do that) and get that done before you permanently install the NACA. I press formed mine to fit inside the NACA at the end and used a thin schmere of Pro-Seal to hold it in place. You can also just fold the screen over the end and use the hose to keep it in place. Tape the screen up with painters tape before prime/paint.

Back