What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N8PH first flight

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
A year behind schedule (2019 had many challenges) but N8PH jumped off the runway on April 7th. She flew strong and straight. Wheel pants to go on after a few more hours to make sure I?m happy with the gear. Paint to happen in the fall as I have a lot of flying to catch up on this summer.

A month of rigging and extra eyes paid off. She flies hands off, wings level and ball in the center.

The only two issues are the horrible weather conditions keeping me on the ground, and my amazingly rusty landing ability.

Keep building and fly your own rocket ship. It is well worth the effort.

Carl
299619-A6-90-BD-435-A-9-DD5-925-B6-D724560.jpg

Yessssssss!!!!!!!!

Many congrats Carl!

Wishing you a fun and squalk-free phase one.

v/r,dr

Congrats Carl, she looks great!
When are you starting the next one? :D

Interesting you would ask - even at this point that old itch is starting to come back.

Van?s is teasing us about an RV-15, so depending on what it is I may jump on that for the next project. If not it will be another RV-10. Selling my RV-10 was a big mistake.

So a year of flying then a decision. This next time however I?ll have a cross country time machine in the hangar to fly during the build.

Carl

Excellent! I am just dipping into the realm of metallic experimentals.

What was your build time and what would you say was an average amount of time during the week?

Any recommendations to a prospective builder now that you are close to final?

Excellent! I am just dipping into the realm of metallic experimentals.

What was your build time and what would you say was an average amount of time during the week?

Any recommendations to a prospective builder now that you are close to final?

The first build (8A) took 4.5 years, the RV-10 took 5 years (both done when I still had a full time day job). This build took 2.5 years - but 2019 had many challenges.

All are slow builds.

My recommendation - find a builder near you and have him walk you though it all. Take a case of beer of his choice when you go. Then go find another builder or two and do it again. After that, you make your own decisions.

Carl

The first build (8A) took 4.5 years, the RV-10 took 5 years (both done when I still had a full time day job). This build took 2.5 years - but 2019 had many challenges.

All are slow builds.

My recommendation - find a builder near you and have him walk you though it all. Take a case of beer of his choice when you go. Then go find another builder or two and do it again. After that, you make your own decisions.

Carl

Thank you sir.

I'm out of hicks and i have met up with a few of the guys here already. I even brought my wife along who is "thrilled" when I just randomly stop by a hanger and proceed to have an hour long chat Haha!

Sounds like I may be in the same boat for build time. 2.5 years sounds manageable and I have help here with me. Thank you for the quick response :)

Congratulations on a successful first flight and a beautiful build. The crappy wx is also limiting my phase one flying over here on the Eastern Shore.

She is a beauty

A year behind schedule (2019 had many challenges) but N8PH jumped off the runway on April 7th. She flew strong and straight. Wheel pants to go on after a few more hours to make sure I?m happy with the gear. Paint to happen in the fall as I have a lot of flying to catch up on this summer.

A month of rigging and extra eyes paid off. She flies hands off, wings level and ball in the center.

The only two issues are the horrible weather conditions keeping me on the ground, and my amazingly rusty landing ability.

Keep building and fly your own rocket ship. It is well worth the effort.

Carl
299619-A6-90-BD-435-A-9-DD5-925-B6-D724560.jpg
Carl,
I bet it flies as good as it looks.
Paint?
Keep it shiny "Wizard"
Daddyman

Back