What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Award Winning Paintshop

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
Good Morning All Y'all...

I am looking for a paint shop within 500NM or so of Central Texas (Austin) that is renowned for their detailed prep work, finished product, and support -- Bronze Lindy winners, etc.

I am NOT interested in the 20 ft. paint job, the DIY rattle can operation, or "Here's some Farecla rubbing compound; it'll buff out." kind of paint shop.

PM me, or post your recommendations, and if possible WHY you like them.

Thanks in advance!

Evoke Aviation

I only have experience with this one paint facility, but I can recommend them without reservation. Although I didn't win a Bronze Lindy, I came close at OSH 2018 and even closer to the equivalent of Reserve Grand Champion at SNF in 2019.

Jonathan McCormick and his team at Plane Schemers and his attached paint facility, Evoke Aviation.

They are designing and will be painting my under construction RV-10. Search the forum for Evoke and Plane Schemers and I think you will find many similar recommendations. Better get on the schedule ASAP, as Jonathan is booked up for quite a while. That should tell you something.

Plane looks even better (in my opinion) up close.

Evoke Aviation/ Plane Schemer in Gadsden Alabama. Best there is!
Not sure about distance from you but worth the travel.

Edit: Looks like Krea beat me to it!

I used Glo Aircraft painting in Fort Worth to paint my RV-14A and they did a great job. They also painted two other RV-14As belonging to friends. All are beautiful with no runs, hits, or errors, so to speak. While I did not get my airplane judged at Oshkosh last year, it was on display at the Lycoming booth all week, and was also selected to be ?Miss March 2020? in the Sherwin Williams Aerospace Coatings calendar. Glo is great to work with and they know how to paint RVs. Highly recommend. :D

Evoke

+1, Evoke Aviation in Alabama. Jonathan and his crew are simply the best. The best 3 hour flight you can take to get a plane painted. Just look at all the Lindy winners over the last few years.

Another vote for Johnathan McCormick and Plane Schemer/Evoke...I just got back from a visit to his facilities in Gadsden and it was a very impressive operation. They didn't paint my aircraft, but I did use Plane Schemers for the design and was 110% satisfied with the service. If I was looking to paint another aircraft, I'd call and get on there calendar ASAP as they're in pretty high demand.

-Rick

Take a look at John Stahr in Eugene Oregon. Fantastic work also award winning. Did our 9.
I see you’re a little too far away.

Last edited:
Take a look at John Stahr in Eugene Oregon. Fantastic work also award winning. Did our 9.
I see you?re a little too far away.

John will, however, come to you....and yes, he has several award winners in his portfolio!

Back