What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

anyone know where I can get a steel plate behind prop?

flyinhood

Well Known Member
I'm putting our 6 back into phase 1 soon to change our GW. My problem of fwd CG is exacerbated by light weight engine and prop. I have heard of a steel plate idea some have used in the past that is drilled for the prop bolt pattern to help add some Wt to the front of the airplane.

Any ideas on where I could get one?

Thanks in advance.

Check with Saber,
He does a lot of experimental prop plates and extensions. Nice guy to work with.

+1 for Saber, I have their 20 pound steel crush plate on my 6A. Helped the CG a lot. For running your calculations, it is in front of the prop. Replaces the crush plate, not the spacer.

As a bonus, they are in Grandbury. You will have to replace the prop bolts as well, he sells a whole kit with everything you need.

http://www.sabermfg.com/

Last edited:
I have one

Good deal. Thanks everyone. Out of curiosity, do you remember how much the plate changed your CG?

I bought a propeller that came from a RV taildragger and needed the weight. Since mine is nosewheel, I believe I don't need. (haven't weighted the plane yet).

PM me and I can send you some pictures and talk about it.

If you can track down a Landoll Harmonic Balancer that would do the trick nicely. Had one on my -6 and loved it. Unfortunately they are becoming quite scarce.

15 lb crush plate moved my CG about 2 inches fwd on a RV 9 with fixed pitch and composite prop. I also purchased a prop extension and added 1/2 inch From Sam along with the crush plate. Made all the difference with min fuel on board.

Any ideas on where I could get one?

Thanks in advance.

I have one that i no longer need. Bought it from Saber. Also have bolts and it is set up for a catto prop if you have one. Send me a Pm if interested. All of it was used for a few hours.

Needed for all the testing i was doing with the props. No longer testing.

Another vote here for a Landol dynamic balancer. I have one on my RV-3B and it runs turbine smooth. Put the added weight to work for you.

Do you guys know the weight and cost of the balancer? I'm trying to run some Wt and Bal scenarios on how much weight up front will have an impact on my envelope.

Thx

I have one that i no longer need. Bought it from Saber. Also have bolts and it is set up for a catto prop if you have one. Send me a Pm if interested. All of it was used for a few hours.

Needed for all the testing i was doing with the props. No longer testing.

Thx! PM sent.

+1 for Saber, I have their 20 pound steel crush plate on my 6A. Helped the CG a lot. For running your calculations, it is in front of the prop. Replaces the crush plate, not the spacer.

As a bonus, they are in Grandbury. You will have to replace the prop bolts as well, he sells a whole kit with everything you need.

http://www.sabermfg.com/

On my 6A, the 20# crush plate moved the CG a bit over an inch aft.

Last edited:
May be I missed something but my research shows that a 1" x 7" steel crush plate should weight 10lbs not 20 lbs. FYI..

Back