What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washington SFRA or SATR ???

pilotkms

Well Known Member
Possibly flying to Stafford Regional KRMN in Virginia. It’s outside the 30 nmile ring but within the 60 nmile ring on the chart. Have seen mention of FAA safety class. Is this a requirement? Have read that this outer ring just limits airspeed to 250knots. Is there some current reference that I can download that specifies all requirements for this outer Special Flite Rules Area, or is it SATR ? Any locals that can share their knowledge, experience ??

Flew through the outer ring several years ago. I don’t remember the specifics but I’d be on a filed flight plan and get flight following. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

By the way, seeing the huge red “TFR” ring on my Dynon did not make me feel any better!

IMSMC, do not penetrate the 60 mile ring unless you you have taken the free web accessed course on the SFRA for Washington DC. Then, if you have taken the course, you will know how to file and which gate you will be allowed to enter into the SFRA.

Yes, you must take the course, available on the FAA website. You will then have all the answers you need. But in short, nothing to do in an RV for the outer ring, except maybe turn off TFR shading on your moving map. Be wary of the restricted areas in the vicinity of Stafford. PM or email me if you have any other questions.

Only requirement of the 60nm ring is to take the online training, all else the same. No need to file flight plan unless you plan to enter the SFRA annd coming from the South you are fine. All else is like any other crowded airspace with several of MOAs and Restricted areas nearby your destination.

ADSB "OUT" required

Not mentioned yet maybe only assumed: ADSB "OUT" is required under the Mode C Veil.

Thanx for the info. Completed the FAA course. Flying into the 60 mile ring and NOT passing into the 30 mile ring is quite simple. Only the course completion (certificate “ON FILE”) and staying below 230 knots required. No flite plan, code or even ATC contact required.
The course Primarily addresses flying into the 30 mile ring. They want u to be educated in case u get close to that 30 mile ring. No excuses for not being informed.
Received a couple of PMs that my Skyview has TFR advisory ON/OFF as well as being able to adjust the opaqueness of the RED. Yes, when it turned RED, it got my attention to the point I forgot about these features. Better prepared next time.

Back