What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GMA-245 doesn't always reconnect via Bluetooth

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Replaced my PSE-8000B audio panel with a GMA-245 a few months ago and have been mostly happy with it. The only problem I'm regularly encountering is that my iPad doesn't always reconnect automatically. The docs indicate that it should:

During power up the GMA automatically reconnects to the last
connected device. This is annunciated by the Bluetooth annunciator
illuminating.

The iPad is the only device that has been paired with the GMA-245. So far, the only reliable method I've found is to power cycle the GMA-245 while the engine is warming up. Once Bluetooth is connected, it's been rock-solid.

I've also tried disabling, waiting about 5 seconds, and then enabling Bluetooth on the iPad with mixed results, IIRC. The iOS version is of recent vintage.

I see in the GMA manual that one can press and hold 'TEL (PAIR)' for 5 seconds to disable and re-enable Bluetooth. I've not tried that yet.

I've searched Garmin's site for a firmware update to the GMA-245 and found none.

Wondering if anybody else has encountered this and how you resolved it.

Thanks,

Hello David,

The first step we recommend is to make sure the operating system on your iPad is up to date. Some early version of iOS 10 had issues with Bluetooth.

We also invite you to contact us using the information below, and one of our field service engineers should be able to provide further assistance.

- Matt

iOS Version

Hello David,

The first step we recommend is to make sure the operating system on your iPad is up to date. Some early version of iOS 10 had issues with Bluetooth.

We also invite you to contact us using the information below, and one of our field service engineers should be able to provide further assistance.

- Matt

Hi Matt,

I going to guess that the iPad is at iOS 10.3.2 (latest version) as I wait until ForeFlight gives the "all clear" which was done for 10.3.2 on May 25, 2017. Regardless, I'll verify the iOS version. Do you know off the top of your head how early of an iOS version had issues?

Hopefully the firmware update and/or an iOS update will address the problem. If not, I'll give you all a call.

Thank you,

Firmware updated - problem persists

Upgraded the GMA-245's firmware the other week from:

Boot: 2.20
System: 2.20
Audio: 2.20
Bluetooth: 2.00​

to:

Boot: 2.20
System: 2.30
Audtio: 2.20
Bluetooth: 2.00​

The iPad remains at iOS 10.3.2.(latest as of this writing).

As best as I can tell, there hasn't been any improvements on Bluetooth reconnects.

Some items of note after performing the firmware update:

- Pressing and holding the 'TEL (PAIR)' button to disable/enable Bluetooth is not sufficient. I still had to power off/on the GMA-245.

- The Bluetooth icon on the iPad goes from gray to black (indicating that a connection has been established) but there's still no audio.

- For reference, a "standard" SD card was used to update the firmware; this was not specifically mentioned in Rev 5 of the installation manual. Personally, I used a micro SD fitted into a standard SD converter. These converters are usually included when you purchase a micro SD card.

Next step will be to call Garmin from the plane. They've got reasonable support hours making it easier to get in touch with them after work.

Did this ever get resolved? I have a friend who is having the exact same scenario but with a GMA 345. It is exactly as you have found. Power cycle the power (via the Breaker) on the GMA-345, hit play on the iPhone and presto everything works as it should.
He is on the lastest version of iOs and also the laters version of firmware on the GMA 345.

Thanks in advance!

Me too

Did this ever get resolved? I have a friend who is having the exact same scenario but with a GMA 345. It is exactly as you have found. Power cycle the power (via the Breaker) on the GMA-345, hit play on the iPhone and presto everything works as it should.
He is on the lastest version of iOs and also the laters version of firmware on the GMA 345.

Thanks in advance!

I have a GMA245 and I too have a problem with Bluetooth audio.

It connects, and I can start and stop music with the 245, but no audio. Sometimes it works fine, and other times no audio.

The unit is only a few months old, with the most current firmware.

What do you say, Garmin.

Brian

Same for me.
All software is up to date.

Sometimes I get in to go, and music plays via bluetooth from my iphone.

Other times, the phone shows connected to the 245, but no music.

Power cycling the 245 fixes the problem, but is not a great solution if already airborne and needing the comms....

Same issue...kind of

I have the same or similar problem with my GMA 245 and iPhone 8, 10 and 11.

The control stream of BT seems to work -- I can start/stop music playback, but no audio. Similarly, I can answer phone calls, etc. but no audio is heard.

Power-cycling the GMA 245 is the only way to resolve the issue.

I am running with the latest firmware on every device.

No resolution was ever found

I worked with the Garmin folks trying to nail down a common trigger to no avail. They even swapped out the unit and the problem still persisted. To this day, I still have to manually power-cycle the audio panel on occasion. I've never had problems once the connection was established between the audio panel and iPhone/iPad.

Wow. Going on 3 years here without a reliable solution. I am amazed how many folks are having the same trouble with GMA 245's and 345's Bluetooth pairing breaking. Is it limited to Apple product pairings or other makes and models of portable equipment too?

Just as a data point, I have a 245R and it connects via bluetooth to my Android phone or Garmin Virb camera rock solid and never dropped.

Keep in mind the Bluetooth connection is just fine. In fact you can use the Audio panel to stop and start the playback. All appears normal it is just that you don?t hear any audio.

Is anyone having this issue with something other than an Apple product? (Hoping Garmin doesn?t point the finger at Apple)

I have tried both Iphone and Samsung

Wow. Going on 3 years here without a reliable solution. I am amazed how many folks are having the same trouble with GMA 245's and 345's Bluetooth pairing breaking. Is it limited to Apple product pairings or other makes and models of portable equipment too?

Nope, I have tried both the Samsung and iPhone and get the same results. The GMA 245 controls the phone, but no audio. Sometimes it does work, but the next day, no

Glad to hear it just is not me. What you say Garmin?

Brian

Last edited:
Same

Same problem here with the 245 through many software versions over a couple years. I always power cycle the 245 and as soon as it reconnects the connection is solid.

GMA 245 Bluetooth Issues

Please contact us via email at [email protected]. We would like to collect some information about your installation to help identify the cause of this issue and get it fixed.

Thanks,

Justin

I sent the following email:
to: [email protected]
date: Jun 1, 2020, 9:09 PM
subject: No BT Audio from GMA 345
mailed-by: gmail.com

Would you like everyone that is having this problem to send an email?

What information would you like us/them to included?

Mark

What info do you want?

Please contact us via email at [email protected]. We would like to collect some information about your installation to help identify the cause of this issue and get it fixed.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

What info do you want?

Can you put a list together so we can fill in for you.

I do really like my 245, and I can get the Bluetooth working only after I turn it off, then back on.

What I can tell you is this. It was a slide in upgrade from a 240 install, and it is on a avionics master, so all my stack powers up at the same time. It is hooked up to a SL30 and SL40, and unrelated I have a GPS175 in my stack, but it is normally turned off unless I want it on. My Galaxy connects without any problems, the 245 controls my music, but no audio out. If I turn it off with the small left knob, then back on, when the Bluetooth connects, I then get audio. Music comes up without any problem using music 1 input when selected on the front of the 245.

Brian

Last edited:

Thanks,

Justin

Justin

Just sent an email explaining the issue with my GMA 245R. This tread was quite timely as i called Garmin few days ago explaining this very issue and called @rhinodvr which is experiencing the same issue with the GMA 245 panel mount.

The issue appears to be with sound more so than connection. I can control the music, pause, play, skip but the sound does not come through. The unit is connected to my Samsung S9 and plays my Spotify downloaded play list. The sound issues is not limited to Spotify.

Fixes that i tried included deselecting and reselecting the pilot music under the last tab of the GMA menu ( limited success). Tried unpairing and repairing the device (usually works). Tried cycling the Avionics master which also works.

The panel was professionally installed by an approved Garmin shop. Hope there above helps to troubleshoot.

Hom
F1 Rocket
C-FGXB

As Hom said above, I?m having this same issue with my GMA245. Exact same symptoms, with both an iPhone X, and Samsung phone.

I received an email from g3xpert (Michael), I have asked him to post the same here, but not sure if he will so I'll paraphrase.

Michael suggested that there may be multiple bluetooth devices trying to connect to the GMA audio panel and competing with each other. He was not specific if these were devices that were paired with the GMA or if they were just devices in the area that had their bluetooth turned on. (My opinion, I could see a possibility if you had multiple devices PAIRED with the GMA device...)

I told him we would try.

So I gave my friend instructions. Go to the Hangar and when you get there turn off BLUETOOTH on every device except 1. So he turned off Bluetooth on his iPad and left it on on his iPhone. He powered up the MASTER SWITCH and turned on the AVIONICS master switch and his GMA 345 powered up. It then connected to the iPhone. He hit play on some music in the music app and it showed connected to the GMA-345 and playing music but NO AUDIO thru the headset.

He pulled the breaker for the GMA-345, waited 5 seconds and pushed it back in. The GMA-345 powered back up and re-connected to the iPhone and he then hit PLAY in the music app and music started playing and was heard in the headset.

Would any of you please like to try the same scenario? Make sure only 1 bluetooth device is turned on and then try it and report here so the G3XPERT guys can see the results.

This is multiple people having the same problem across multiple GMA audio panels using both Apple and Android devices. There has to be something going on.

Thanks!

Et Tu GMA 345?

So I gave my friend instructions. Go to the Hangar and when you get there turn off BLUETOOTH on every device except 1. So he turned off Bluetooth on his iPad and left it on on his iPhone. He powered up the MASTER SWITCH and turned on the AVIONICS master switch and his GMA 345 powered up. It then connected to the iPhone. He hit play on some music in the music app and it showed connected to the GMA-345 and playing music but NO AUDIO thru the headset.

He pulled the breaker for the GMA-345, waited 5 seconds and pushed it back in. The GMA-345 powered back up and re-connected to the iPhone and he then hit PLAY in the music app and music started playing and was heard in the headset.

Unless that's a typo, the GMA 345 also has an issue with Audio Sink not working at first power on.

I wonder if GMA 245 and GMA 345 use the same Bt radio?

Since Bt device Pairing and Control functionality seem to be fine, this would point away from Bt radio spectrum "overcrowding."

I think I'll start a poll, and see who has a GMA 245/345 and has Bt audio actually working.

Cheers!

Unless that's a typo, the GMA 345 also has an issue with Audio Sink not working at first power on.

Since Bt device Pairing and Control functionality seem to be fine, this would point away from Bt radio spectrum "overcrowding."

I think I'll start a poll, and see who has a GMA 245/345 and has Bt audio actually working.

Cheers!

My GMA245 requires a re-boot of the audio panel for BT music and/or phone to work (BT shows connected on my device). I've asked about it with the techs at OSH and I still don't have an answer. I just habitually re-boot the GMA245 as part of my pre-taxi.

GMA Audio Panel Bluetooth Connectivity

Cheers!

Brian,

It appears there is some room for improvement in the Bluetooth connectivity for the GMA audio panels. We are actively gathering information and working with several customers to help identify the issue to get it fixed.

Thanks,

Justin

Brian,

It appears there is some room for improvement in the Bluetooth connectivity for the GMA audio panels. We are actively gathering information and working with several customers to help identify the issue to get it fixed.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

I'd be more than happy to help also. I reported this issue back in October 2018 and didn't get much traction...

What details do y'all need?

Brian

This is what Justin asked from me.

This is what Justin asked from me and my responses.

Does this happen on every flight? Yes

What mobile devices are you using to connect? Model number and software versions will be helpful. IPhone6 and Samsung Galaxy Note8. Current SW

Does the mobile device indicate its bluetooth is connected to the GMA 245? Yes

Does the GMA 245 indicate its bluetooth is connected? (bluetooth indicator lit?) Yes

My unit is in a radio stack with an avionics master, and initially powers up when I turn the avionics master on.

Which functions are working?
Stereo music audio? No
Media controls on the GMA 245 or GDU? Yes
Telephone calls? Connects, no audio, but have not tried it recently.

What resolves the problem state?
Power cycling the 245? Yes
Disabling and re-enablig bluetooth on the mobile device? No
Restarting the mobile device? No

Hope he gets a fix for this. I do like the GMA245 panel, as I upgraded it from a GMA240, but if I had known about this before I bought it, I might have waited until it was fix.

Brian

Last edited:

What mobile devices are you using to connect? Model number and software versions will be helpful. IPhone6 and Samsung Galaxy Note8. Current SW

Does the GMA 245 indicate its bluetooth is connected? (bluetooth indicator lit?) Yes

My unit is in a radio stack with an avionics master, and initially powers up when I turn the avionics master on.

Stereo music audio? No
Telephone calls? Connects, no audio, but have not tried it recently.

Power cycling the 245? Yes

Hope he gets a fix for this. I do like the GMA245 panel, as I upgraded it from a GMA240, but if I had known about this before I bought it, I might have waited until it was fix.

Brian

Ditto for me except iPhone 7.

Brian

I am on the fence now about upgrading my new and never used GMA240 to the GMA245. Was ready to place the order with Steinair until I read about this issue. Hope a fix comes out soon!

I am on the fence now about upgrading my new and never used GMA240 to the GMA245. Was ready to place the order with Steinair until I read about this issue. Hope a fix comes out soon!

I wouldn?t worry about it. It?s a minor inconvenience for playing your music or using your phone. I?m sure they will get a fix for it.

A little debugging...

On a hunch, I thought I would try a sequence change -- the setup:

In my aircraft, the G3X's (GDU465, GDU460), GEA 24, GAD 27, GAD 29 - are powered by the primary bus - switched by the Battery Master. The GMA 245, GTN 650, GTR 200, GTX 345 are on an avionics bus - switched by the Avionics Master.

The Experiment:

On a whim, I pulled all the CB's for the G3X and it's devices, and just powered on the GMA 245 -- Happy to report that Bt audio worked and Bt telephone worked.

Analysis, Theory:

So - Here's my theory, When the G3X system is powered on first - settings from the G3X system get pushed to the GMA 245 when it first powers on. Subsequent power cycling of GMA 245 causes the GMA 245 to revert to a default, working condition, overriding the G3X selected operating mode. See the attached picture, note the "Telephone Audio" selection.

I dunno, this may have been an accident; have a look at the Audio screen when you can't play music or hear the phone and observe the selections...
Garmin_Audio_Menu_G3X.jpg

Added the Telephone Calls note below

Stereo music audio? No
Telephone calls? You can answers the call but no audio

Power cycling the 245? Yes, by turning the unit off with the knob, then back on.

Brian

Not everyone uses the G3X

On a hunch, I thought I would try a sequence change -- the setup:

In my aircraft, the G3X's (GDU465, GDU460), GEA 24, GAD 27, GAD 29 - are powered by the primary bus - switched by the Battery Master. The GMA 245, GTN 650, GTR 200, GTX 345 are on an avionics bus - switched by the Avionics Master.

The Experiment:

On a whim, I pulled all the CB's for the G3X and it's devices, and just powered on the GMA 245 -- Happy to report that Bt audio worked and Bt telephone worked.

Analysis, Theory:

So - Here's my theory, When the G3X system is powered on first - settings from the G3X system get pushed to the GMA 245 when it first powers on. Subsequent power cycling of GMA 245 causes the GMA 245 to revert to a default, working condition, overriding the G3X selected operating mode. See the attached picture, note the "Telephone Audio" selection.

I dunno, this may have been an accident; have a look at the Audio screen when you can't play music or hear the phone and observe the selections...

I am using dual SkyView Classic Touch screens, and the GMA245 is not connected to it, via the Canbus anyway. The only thing connected to the GMA 245 is the SkyView audio out. The SkyView screens are booted up completely before my Avionics Master is turned on. The next time I am out at my hanger, I too will pull the circuit breakers for my two screens and then turn on the Avionics Master, and try it then and see if I get audio.

Brian

Last edited:
GMA245 DIP Switches

For anyone who is ?NOT? having these issues with your GMA245, what are the positions of your DIP switches on the side of the unit.

Also, is it installed in a G3X system, or like myself a Dynon, or AFS, or GRT, or as a stand-alone.

Just trying to find a common factor.

Thanks.

Brian

I think I have a fix, so try it out

Folks,

I tried a few things, and this is what I did.

First, I checked my DIP switches which are all OFF.

Second, I pulled the CB’s on both my SkyView screens, and turned off both radios, so when I turned on the avionics master, the only thing that came up was the GMA245, the transponder, ADSB receiver, and my belly camera.

I connected my phone via Bluetooth, with no change. I have control, but no audio.

I went into configuration mode on the GMA245 and just again, checked current firmware, which are all current. To get in Configuration mode press down on the COM1 MIC and SPKR keys at the same time while you turn the unit ON. This is in the GMA 245 Install manual, page 2-9.

Now, what I did was do a factory reset of the configuration. You do this by pressing COM1 and AUX keys at the same time while in configuration mode. I pressed them for 5 sec.

Anyway, after I did that, I shut off my Avionics Master and then turned it back on. I had to re pair my phone, and then started my music app, and it worked, I had audio. I shut it down a few times with the Avionics Master switch and then turned it on a few times, and after it auto paired, music audio worked each and every time. Then I shut down the aircraft completely, and reset my SkyView CB’s, and turned on my radio power switches. I waited a couple of minutes.

Then I started it up just like I normally do, master ON, and after the SkyViews booted up, turned on my Avionics Master, and after it auto paired, I pushed play on my music app, and again it played and I had audio. I tried calling myself as I didn’t have my spare phone and heard the audio on the phone.

There might be a chance that when the factory tested the units one of their techs, might have changed a configuration setting that made it function the way it does. It also would explain why some are having this problem and some are not. I wished I knew which setting was the culprit, but I don’t have a clue.

Hope this help everyone who has this problem and it fixes it. If it does not, please post so we can do some more troubleshooting, but this worked for me.

Brian

Went back 15 minutes after I posted this, and it still works, yea!

Last edited:
With the exception of Pdtofy(Brian) who reset his GMA245 to factory defaults and that seem to correct the situation, is there ANYONE who has a GMA245 or GMA345 that is NOT having the problem with no audio via BLUETOOTH or PHONE AUDIO without having to cycle the power. Is there anyone that it is working just like it is supposed to?

Thanks in advance.

Well, did anyone else try it, and did it work for you.

Amazing, with all the interest in this, no one else has come back to answer mine or Mantry?s questions. I even sent it to Jason at Garmin, and he hasn?t responded back yet either, but it is still Monday.

Well, I went out to my plane today, and booted up my panel, just like I normally do, and guess what, it still works like it should. Bluetooth auto pairs up, and I turn on my music app, and there is music audio coming through my headphones.

So, whatever your GMA-245/345 configuration setups are, it appears there is something that is not right, and it looks like, if you go back to the default configuration setup, it should fix the problem. Remember, I said ?should?, not ?will?, so please don?t come back and complain to me if it doesn?t work. Also, I don?t see anyone else working on an answer to this.

So try it out and see if it fixes your problem too, and please post your findings here so others can see if it is a good fix.

Thanks.

Brian

Reset to default...

Resetting the GMA 245 to Factory Defaults using the sequence described in the installation manual appears to have resolved the issue.

I'll check again in the morning and report back.

Kudos to Pdtofly (Brian) for reporting this.

B

It has been a while since I set the system up.

What settings do you lose by resetting to factory defaults? Just wondering what I might need to go back and reprogram.

Good question

It has been a while since I set the system up.

What settings do you lose by resetting to factory defaults? Just wondering what I might need to go back and reprogram.

Tom,

I just reset mine, and everything that I need to work, works. If I want to COM mutes music, or ICS mutes music, just press the respective buttons. Since I only have two seats in my plane, I really don’t need to use the isolation buttons at this time, so..........

If you find after awhile something that you need doesn’t work, then go back and update the configuration setting for that item. The only thing I can see that might need to be adjusted is an input volume level. If whatever you do goes back to requiring you to turn the unit off, then back on, you found the problem, do a reset again and then report it to Garmin. A post here would be nice also.

Thanks.

Brian

Last edited:
Moving on with trying a few more things

OK, I went out to my plane this morning to try and duplicate the Bluetooth audio problem, and I tried almost about everything, and it worked every time.

I tried enabling, and disabling all of the configuration settings, and every time I did, the audio played in my headset. So I don?t know what has caused this problem in the first place, but it looks like the only cure at the present time is a configuration reset to default settings.

If you have any AUX and Alert inputs, you might need to reset their volume levels in the configuration settings, but I don?t see anything else that might need to be changed from default.

Good luck and press on.

Brian

OK, I went out to my plane this morning to try and duplicate the Bluetooth audio problem, and I tried almost about everything, and it worked every time.

I tried enabling, and disabling all of the configuration settings, and every time I did, the audio played in my headset. So I don?t know what has caused this problem in the first place, but it looks like the only cure at the present time is a configuration reset to default settings.

If you have any AUX and Alert inputs, you might need to reset their volume levels in the configuration settings, but I don?t see anything else that might need to be changed from default.

Good luck and press on.

Brian

Brian,

Glad to hear this has worked out for a few people. On a similar note, one of the ways we have been able to clear it was to disable and then re-enable bluetooth on the GMA. We are continuing to work on it to prevent it from happening in the first place, we will get to the root cause and make sure to get it taken care of all together in a future software update.

Thanks,

Justin

Reset to defaults -- didn't work

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to reset the GMA to defaults and observe that it worked when I powered the system up.

However, after 48 hours, it didn't stick and the Bt No Audio problem came back.

It may have been just me, so I reset the GMA to defaults, re-paired my iPhone, power-cycled everything and it worked -- I'll let it sit another 24-48 hours and see what happens.

G3Xpert -- any theories on why this is happening???

I tried that before I did the reset

Brian,

Glad to hear this has worked out for a few people. On a similar note, one of the ways we have been able to clear it was to disable and then re-enable bluetooth on the GMA. We are continuing to work on it to prevent it from happening in the first place, we will get to the root cause and make sure to get it taken care of all together in a future software update.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

On that email I sent you, I said that I disabled, then re-enable Bluetooth also, and it didn’t work.

In regard to the previous post, I will let mine sit for a few days and see if the problems returns for me also.

Thanks.

Brian

Swapped upgrade from GMA240 to GMA245

Hello,

I have another question for anyone who is having the Bluetooth audio problem.

Did you, like myself, do a direct swap upgrade from a GMA240 to the GMA245? Comparing the GMA240 and GMA245 install manual, there was a few pins changes, and was wondering if any of these changes might be causing this problem. A few installs I did, were initial installs and they are not having this problem. I am about ready to pull my center stack and change a few pins and see if that might fix this problem, if the problem comes back.

Let me know if are having this problem, and did you do the simple 240 to 245 swap out.

Thanks. I really would like to help figure this out.

Brian

My friends was a NEW INSTALL of a GMA-345, so I think it is an internal issue, not a external wiring configuration.

Mine is also a new install, no upgrade.

I still have not yet had a chance to do the reset / test.

Thanks, one item checked off

Thanks guys. One item checked off and back to the drawing board.

We will keep chugging along and come up with another game plan.

Brian

Reset to defaults...still didn't work; again.

I went through the reset-to-defaults process on Wednesday. When I got in the airplane today, I discovered - much to my chagrin, that the problem persisted.

Back to the drawing board...if there is one.

G3Xpert - One of your team members has this configuration in his RV-7 -- have you been able to duplicate this issue in N41HM?

Mine did the same

Went out to my plane, and after two days, it reverted back to Bluetooth control, but no audio.

Justin asked me to try something besides turning the unit off then back on, but I forgot. So next time I go out to my hanger, I will try again, and this time will do what he asked.

Now, if you are wondering what he asked, he asked me to turn off bluetooth then back on. Do this by pressing the TEL button for 5 sec, and it says Bluetooth OFF, the press it again for 5 sec until it says Bluetooth ON. Then try the Bluetooth audio again. Report your finding here and to Justin.

Thanks.

Brian

Back