What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Transition Training Needed

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
Hello, good ship VAF....

I'm in the very early stages of a purchase engagement on an RV6A right now, so that's the good news! Hopefully nothing comes up on the inspection. :)

The insurance companies are - depending whom I go with - requiring 3-5 hours of RV trike time - RV-12 is excluded.

This time/training needs to come from someone holding a valid Flight Instructor certificate - apparently mine is not enough. :)

The "official" sources from Vans are locked down right now due to COVID restrictions, so I am seeking some transition training from someone in the VA, MD, DC or PA areas who would be willing to work with me on this need.

I'd pay a reasonable rate, of course, and we could even follow Vans's syllabus for the training if you wanted.

Please let me know if you or someone you know would be interested? Thanks in advance!

NC?

I have good friend, CFI, just recently got himself transitioned into an RV-6A (he now has the grin!) and is working with a student that just bought a 6A here in central NC. He may be an option if all else fails closer to you, and he has an impeccable CFI reputation in the Carolina/Virginia area. PM me if you'd like his information and I will pass it on.

Slight thread drift...

I recently spoke to a local DFW insurance agent. I was considering getting a policy to teach in my 6. Initial quote....5,000 / yr. Thats a lot of duel given to even pay for my insurance.

For anyone wanting instruction, make sure to find out who has insurance and if the policy covers instruction. I know the goal is for everyone to have fun, stay safe, and stay friends.

Slight thread drift...

I recently spoke to a local DFW insurance agent. I was considering getting a policy to teach in my 6. Initial quote....5,000 / yr. Thats a lot of duel given to even pay for my insurance.

Yes, insurance for giving instruction is expensive. And given that the faa waiver for an EAB is limited to transition training only, it’s hard to avoid losing money. I know a number of -10 cfi’s who have dropped out of transition training. It was a money-losing proposition.

Tell me is it an insurance requirement to get some sort of training in Vans machines over there in the States? You couldn't get a more benign type of plane!

I got my policy from AIG this year for my RV-10. The way my policy was written, I needed to have 1 hour of dual and 1 hour solo flying BEFORE carrying passengers.

When I read that, it indicates that I can start flying without transition training (not that its a great idea). Doing my Phase 1 certainly qualifies for the solo flying. I’m wondering if after Phase 1, if I would get a CFI in my plane for dual, would that be acceptable or is that considered me carrying a passenger?

I'd say it's likely up to the underwriter.

I've gotten 5-6 quotes for owning a 6A. For baseline reference, I'm just under 1000TT, with CSEL, CMEL, CSES and CFI certificates.

Some of the underwriters say I need 2 hours with a CFI, some ask for 3, some ask for 5. Some exclude the RV12, some say it has to be specifically a -6A, etc but more or less consistent on the times.

The big variance is with how much time I need to build to carry passengers....some are asking for 25 hours time in type/solo and others don't care. Seems to be a wide range.

I'm a big believer in training. So even if I meet the minimums I will very likely seek some advanced RV-specific training on top of the minimums. Getting some aero/upset training in my own airplane would also be on the agenda.

Tell me is it an insurance requirement to get some sort of training in Vans machines over there in the States? You couldn't get a more benign type of plane!

It’s entirely up to the insurance company. Based on your experience, it may be zero, 2, 10 hours, with zero usually requiring some previous RV time. Keep in mind that for many US pilots an RV represents a considerable step-up in speed.

For me, AIG wanted 2 hours dual before I could solo and 1 hour solo before I could take a passenger. The premium included an Open Pilot Warranty for pilots with 500 hours TT and 25 hours RV-A time.

Yes, insurance for giving instruction is expensive. And given that the faa waiver for an EAB is limited to transition training only, it’s hard to avoid losing money. I know a number of -10 cfi’s who have dropped out of transition training. It was a money-losing proposition.

In addition to the LODA from the FSDO, you will also have your time / money and wear and tear on your plane. Hard to make giving training "worth it". I'm always trying to find a better way...

Continuation Training

The biggest take-away from the video here is "participate in continuation training yearly."

Develop an atmosphere of continuous training and learning in the local EAA chapter, or individually. The FAA Wings program is a way to show a person is willing to put safety and currency as priorities.

Second topic most repeated in this video interview is FLY more! An hour a month isn't enough. An hour a week is a good start and "100 hours a year" was preferred by every insurance company.

LODA's and CFIs giving instruction in their own insured aircraft is not viable. There is a huge need for training, but CFIs who own RV's cannot be expected to bear the burden of the bills they incur by insuring their personal aircraft for training flights.

Invite a CFI who also owns an RV or is familiar with RVs to go along with you, in your RV that you insure on a few flights every year and do things that reinforce safe practices. Log those flights as dual received and report them proudly to your insurance underwriters every year when applying for a renewal.

It is ok for a CFI to train you in your aircraft because you are paying only for the instruction and the aircraft is not being rented as a commercial asset. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, if you want to learn more about the FAA Wings Program or getting continuation training in your own personally owned RV, send me a PM.

In the meantime, check out www.faasafety.gov for some free ground training and flight training outlines to use next time you fly with a CFI.

The biggest take-away from the video here is "participate in continuation training yearly."

Develop an atmosphere of continuous training and learning in the local EAA chapter, or individually. The FAA Wings program is a way to show a person is willing to put safety and currency as priorities.

Second topic most repeated in this video interview is FLY more! An hour a month isn't enough. An hour a week is a good start and "100 hours a year" was preferred by every insurance company.

Invite a CFI who also owns an RV or is familiar with RVs to go along with you, in your RV that you insure on a few flights every year and do things that reinforce safe practices. Log those flights as dual received and report them proudly to your insurance underwriters every year when applying for a renewal.

It is ok for a CFI to train you in your aircraft because you are paying only for the instruction and the aircraft is not being rented as a commercial asset. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

T
This is the route I'm going down... Bought my RV-12, being trained in my RV-12 for my pilot's license, and I hope to make 100 hours minimum, per year, to make owning the RV-12 viable and cost effective. Hangar fees and insurance are fixed, the cost per hour goes down per year, the more hours you fly. And your proficiency goes up.

Insurance cost for dual training

LODA's and CFIs giving instruction in their own insured aircraft is not viable. There is a huge need for training, but CFIs who own RV's cannot be expected to bear the burden of the bills they incur by insuring their personal aircraft for training flights.

That is a correct statement. My biggest overhead is the dual training insurance.

Don't forget that for builders that are just about to conduct the maiden flight on their new minted experimental, Advisory Circular 90-116 covers all aspects of an additional safety pilot for the first eight hours of phase I testing.
Let's be safe and stay safe out there.

Alex D

Back