What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are Wide Band O2 Sensors Affected By 100LL

As Bob said...
The only observation I can make is that the O2 sensor seems to last longer the better I manage my engines to run as lean as reasonable.
(& they really don't like rich mixture & water/meth...)

As Bob said...
The only observation I can make is that the O2 sensor seems to last longer the better I manage my engines to run as lean as reasonable.
(& they really don't like rich mixture & water/meth...)

Definitely. I have noticed the trend of running WOTLOP to make them last a long time - the one sensor that I had die at 10 hours was a victim of running 100LL ROP during some formation flight work for about 3 hours.

FWIW, the Plex Usdm Pro display is a very powerful little display if you have legacy EFIS with limited inputs and limited panel space.

One great feature is the dampening (filtering). I installed the NTK on one bank and the AEM in the other. The AEM display bounced around a Lot, the NTK less (on the more filtered setting), but still too much (displays mounted behind the panel. (Plastic plane brand “L” with IO550N)

I also wanted to set up LOP and ROP targets to that showed the boundaries of the GAMI Red Box. Percent power based on MAP & RPM (6k msl). Somewhat crude, and still working out the kinks. The Usdm has math channels, but is antiquated 8-bit and lots of constraints. Also, MAP and RPM didn’t work off the LSE plasma given the very low voltage scale. Etc. ugh.

Off topic, I got a bargain on a Gill debris sensor to show on the display (chip detector that measures particle count) but still in testing phase. Kind of cool and could actually be useful.

FYI, Plex is working on an updated Usdm display, “coming soon”. Not enough hours to comment on sensor life but that engine has tuned intake runners so I run LOP shortly after takeoff. AFR makes that so easy.

https://www.plex-tuning.com/products/

Attachments

• 564C4759-6C23-49B1-976B-1AF4B93DE790.jpg
    564C4759-6C23-49B1-976B-1AF4B93DE790.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Numbers

So it was finally a flying day today and I paid close attention to the AFR gauge. It definitely appears to still be working. Readings as follows.

Master on - 14.7 then after a few seconds increasing to 15+
Engine start - decreasing down to 12.5 full rich - 1000rpm
Ground lean at 1000rpm - increases to 15
Runup at 1800rpm full rich - decreases to 12
Ground lean for taxi - increases to 15
TO full rich - 11.8 throughout the climb and into cruise
Cruise 2390rpm 60% power (Dynon), LOP(Dynon) AFR 15

At full power on climb out the gauge reading was pretty steady at 11.8. At the other power settings the reading bounces around quite a bit both above and below. The numbers listed are about the average.

I have 666.2 on the hobbs and the AFR gauge and sensor were installed at 60 hrs. I have only run 100LL and always lean except for TO. Can't explain why my O2 sensor still functions when so many fail between 10 and 50 hrs.

looks like it

So it was finally a flying day today and I paid close attention to the AFR gauge. It definitely appears to still be working. Readings as follows.

Master on - 14.7 then after a few seconds increasing to 15+
Engine start - decreasing down to 12.5 full rich - 1000rpm
Ground lean at 1000rpm - increases to 15
Runup at 1800rpm full rich - decreases to 12
Ground lean for taxi - increases to 15
TO full rich - 11.8 throughout the climb and into cruise
Cruise 2390rpm 60% power (Dynon), LOP(Dynon) AFR 15

At full power on climb out the gauge reading was pretty steady at 11.8. At the other power settings the reading bounces around quite a bit both above and below. The numbers listed are about the average.

I have 666.2 on the hobbs and the AFR gauge and sensor were installed at 60 hrs. I have only run 100LL and always lean except for TO. Can't explain why my O2 sensor still functions when so many fail between 10 and 50 hrs.

Yes looks like it is working. Only thing I can think of is where you mounted the sensor in the exhaust...

Back