What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why is RV-6 longer than RV-6A? Just curious. Anybody know?

PaulvS

Well Known Member
Vans website shows the RV-6 overall length is 5 inches more than the RV-6A. But I am sure the fuselages are the same, and I don't think the tail wheel extends that far back, so is there maybe a difference in cowlings? Or is it merely a typo on the website. FWIW the -7 and -7A have the same length.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 164
Vans website shows the RV-6 overall length is 5 inches more than the RV-6A. But I am sure the fuselages are the same, and I don't think the tail wheel extends that far back, so is there maybe a difference in cowlings? Or is it merely a typo on the website. FWIW the -7 and -7A have the same length.

The tailwheel sticks out beyond the rudder on the -6. The -7 has a wider chord rudder and the tailwheel does not extend beyond the rudder.

I dunno if the tailwheel adds 3", 5", or what to the -6, but it definitely adds something.

Picture

Oh yes! The picture seems to explain the difference in lengths... but I see the drawing dimensions don't quite match the numbers in the specs table!! Silly me, I'm building one of these, so I should know that by now. ;)

A buddy had his -6 over at my place and the tailwheel (without any wheel fairing) did not extend beyond the rudder. That is what started the whole debate that his is 5 inches longer than mine... but I should also know by now that is true of tailwheel pilots. :eek:

As I recall the first 6 I built had a tail wheel spring that had a bend at the end that held the wheel fork. It was not a full swivel type and the spring was long. When I converted to a full swivel I cut the bend off making the spring straight and shorter. The wheel no longer extended past the rudder. I guess the drawing is of the original tail wheel setup?
Mike

Back