What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trim force

RepmikeBrown

Well Known Member
I’ve decided to install a linear actuator for trimming the rudder.
Does anyone know how much force there is on rudder trim compared to the force on electric aileron trim. I’ve read on forums the trim force is less than the aileron trim. I’m trying to not under or oversized torque required.
Thanks for any input
And yes, I have flown for a few years with the fixed tab, but my trim changes when loaded/ unloaded, single vs tandem in cruise.

Reach out to Pat Hatch

Mike,
Pat Hatch installed electric rudder trim on his RV-6 years ago during his build.I believe its the same MAC servo as used on aileron trim. Its a beautiful set up I wish I had installed on my RV-4. He is on the forums here, and also markets some nice trim and flap actuation products. I'm sure he can give you a PIREP and details on his installation.

Ray Allen T4-5

I used the smallest servo that Ray Allen sells (T4-5) for the rudder trim on my Harmon Rocket II.

I needed the smaller size for packaging purposes, and the shorter stroke (.5") so I could keep the rod from actuator to trim tab inside the rudder skin. Looks nice, works great.

The Rocket in full climb mode can pose a bit of a need for right rudder - my tab/servo combination can center the ball no matter what the flight conditions.

That's my story and I'm sticking' to it!

HFS

Harmon Rocket II S/N 002

Place the mass of the servo as close to the hinge line as possible. Make all aft-mounted hardware as light as possible.

Mike, I install an internal trim whenever possible, usually a bungee bias. They can be fixed length with one end adjustable for a single flight regime (like climb, or cruise), or put that end on a simple wheel with a friction lock for multiple situations.

No wiring, no cutting, no added control surface mass lowering flutter margin.

Dan,
I’ve looked at that but I’m having a hard time finding a place for pulleys and springs on the firewall of a 4. My AP is mounted center /under panel so real estate is limited

Back