What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 8 flap hinge pin question

Skot7ac

I’m at the point of putting my RV 8 back together and am installing the flaps. Does anyone have pics of which direction the piano hinge pin is installed? Somehow didn’t take a pic before disassembly.

Aileron side

I’m at the point of putting my RV 8 back together and am installing the flaps. Does anyone have pics of which direction the piano hinge pin is installed? Somehow didn’t take a pic before disassembly.
The plans show it coming in from the aileron side in a hole in the mounting bracket for the aileron which is just slightly offset from alignment with the hinge pin line so that the hinge pin will be held in place by the aileron bracket.

From the center!

At least that's how I did it. I find it easier to get two shorter pieces in than one long piece.

Exactly the information I needed and thank you. I scoured the plans in the hangar yesterday and could not find it. I think I’ll blame it on the heat and humidity, but getting close to having a flying airplane again.

The plans show it coming in from the aileron side in a hole in the mounting bracket for the aileron which is just slightly offset from alignment with the hinge pin line so that the hinge pin will be held in place by the aileron bracket.

There is also a note in the construction manual that it is optional to remove a few tabs from the middle and insert two pins from the middle. That is the way I did my RV-6 23-years ago and followed along with the same on my RV-8 project.

I’m at the point of putting my RV 8 back together and am installing the flaps.
Page 7-12 in the RV-8/8A Construction Manual (from the preview plans) has a section titled "Attaching Flaps to the Wings" that specifies both methods.

In my '8A I elected to use the "two-pin from the center" method.

--
Joe

Back