What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safe Forward Slip IAS in RV6A

iaw4

Well Known Member
What are your safe speeds (IAS [standard Dynon pitot] and TAS) in your RV6A for forward slips with full rudder deflection?

What are your safe speeds (IAS [standard Dynon pitot] and TAS) in your RV6A for forward slips with full rudder deflection?

65 KIAS with my Piper "blade type" pitot static tube. My airplane stalls at 38 KIAS full flaps if that is any help.

Less than maneuvering speed (calculated for your weight); greater than stall speed (calculated for your weight). Both IAS. BUT, your ASI may have significant errors due to the pitot and static ports being mis-aligned wrt the relative wind. Since not everyone uses the same ports, the only way to know for sure is to test at a safe altitude.

thanks, everyone. I think I will start with 75kias. that's close enough to speed on final with a bit of a safety margin.

since you probably want to slip to increase your ROD on finals, you’ll already have some flaps out, therefore < Vfe of 87KIAS.
For what it’s worth, a full flap slip using about 70KIAS on my 3 bladed CSP bird results in a healthy descent ;)

Back