What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-12 iS SLSA 25 Hour Inspection

MVPILOT

Well Known Member
I purchased a 2020 RV-12 iS from Van's and have been informed that I need to have a 25 hour inspection done. I am concerned about paint chips and other damage. What is required during a 25 hour inspection for my RV-12 iS? IS there a list of items? What can be done to protect my perfect airplane from paint chips especially the upper and lower cowling?

Use 2"wide blue painters tape to mask edges of fuselage and cowling. This will help prevent scratches. Enlist help of a 2nd person to help left/hold lower cowling. Best that one of the two folks have experience before doing this job for first time...

The main thing for the engine is to change the oil and filter and check the magnetic plug and filter element for any metal. And of course give the engine and hoses a hard look for any leaks.

As far as the plane, there is a 5 hour torque check on the propeller hub clamping bolts. It was probably done by Vans but it wouldn't hurt to make sure. Easy check - 18 ft-lbs.

Painter's masking tape on cowl interference areas is good as is a towel draped over the nose gear leg. Get some "low-tack" masking tape so you don't pull off any paint. Be sure to document the Rotax 912's initial 25-hour inspection in the engine log. As I recall, Rotax requires this documentation for continued warranty coverage.

I am not sure what is required for a 25 hour inspection But I would be asking whoever told you it needs one what the requirements are
what damage are you worried about I understand you are concerned about removing and replacing the cowls but that shouldnt cause any paint damage and I would get used to removing the cowls a lot here, in Australia we are required to remove at least the top cowling before the plane is first flown each day to inspect for coolant leaks
and I can remove and replace both cowls in a few minutes
stone chips on the cowls etc are inevitable especially when flying of gravel runways

The main thing for the engine is to change the oil and filter and check the magnetic plug and filter element for any metal. And of course give the engine and hoses a hard look for any leaks.

As far as the plane, there is a 5 hour torque check on the propeller hub clamping bolts. It was probably done by Vans but it wouldn't hurt to make sure. Easy check - 18 ft-lbs.

Is there a reference for he 5 hour torque check? Think it's a good idea, just want to get the reference for the sign off.

I purchased a 2020 RV-12 iS from Van's and have been informed that I need to have a 25 hour inspection done. I am concerned about paint chips and other damage. What is required during a 25 hour inspection for my RV-12 iS? IS there a list of items? What can be done to protect my perfect airplane from paint chips especially the upper and lower cowling?

The 25 hr inspection is nothing regulatory / required by the FAA. It is stipulated by Rotax and should ideally be done by a mechanic with the proper iRMT certification for the 912iS. Having it done and documented properly is important for maintaining warranty eligability.

As a side note, Van's is now offering as an option, to have additional flight time flown off and have the inspection completed before the customer takes delivery. This is done by flying the aircraft 15 hrs and then an iRMT certified (in house) mechanic the inspection and sign-off (Rotax's requirement for the inspection is 25 hrsm + or - 10)

As for cowling protection.... there has already been a lot off good advice provided. One thing not covered is to never, ever, stand the cowls up on there aft edges for storage while removed (or let a mechanic do it). This is particularly important for the top cowl but good for habit development by doing so with the bottom as well. The cowls are very light, and the slightest breeze or bump will send the top cowl tipping onto its top.

Use 2"wide blue painters tape to mask edges of fuselage and cowling. This will help prevent scratches. Enlist help of a 2nd person to help left/hold lower cowling. Best that one of the two folks have experience before doing this job for first time...

Thank you. I will try that. I'm also considering the application of 3M PPF. I wonder if anyone has done that.

The 25 hr inspection is nothing regulatory / required by the FAA. It is stipulated by Rotax and should ideally be done by a mechanic with the proper iRMT certification for the 912iS. Having it done and documented properly is important for maintaining warranty eligability.

As a side note, Van's is now offering as an option, to have additional flight time flown off and have the inspection completed before the customer takes delivery. This is done by flying the aircraft 15 hrs and then an iRMT certified (in house) mechanic the inspection and sign-off (Rotax's requirement for the inspection is 25 hrsm + or - 10)

As for cowling protection.... there has already been a lot off good advice provided. One thing not covered is to never, ever, stand the cowls up on there aft edges for storage while removed (or let a mechanic do it). This is particularly important for the top cowl but good for habit development by doing so with the bottom as well. The cowls are very light, and the slightest breeze or bump will send the top cowl tipping onto its top.

Thank you. If the weather improves I might like to fly it to Aurora for this service.

Also, just check the transverse engine mount bolts. They are the 10mm cap head Allen bolts that go into the engine case, top and bottom, either side. One of ours disappeared and has just been picked up on the annual. Doing some research it seems to be a known problem, the Rotax agent in the UK certainly knows about it and there has been discussion on this forum.

Don’t know about the iS,but on the ULS version the Allen head cap screw torque spec was increased to 30 ft-lbs. I increased the torque on mine at the second annual and they haven’t loosened a bit in the subsequent 6 annuals.

Back