What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Dynon Avionics package

KEG

Patron
I'm close to ordering my first RV-12is kit and still deciding on an avionics. I really prefer teh Dynon HDX (dual screen, ADS-B in, AP servos and control module) over the Garmin products, for ergonomics if for no other reason, but Vans is not offering a Dynon IFR package. I'm thinking of ordering the Dynon VFR kit with plans to upgrade it to IFR sometime after getting an ELSA cert for the plane. Any thoughts, suggestions or knowledge regarding what would be needed to do so?

STUDENT PILOT, FIRST TIME BUILDER

Curious, why you would want to fly a RV-12IS in IFR conditions?

Icing wings, frozen pitot tubes without heat, etc? Seems underequipped in such conditions that pilots fly IFR.

Last edited:
Curious, why you would want to fly a RV-12IS in IFR conditions.

Icing wings, frozen pitot tubes without heat, etc? Seems underequipped in such conditions that pilots fly IFR.
I wouldn't. Just thing of using it as a learning platform.

IFR, does not necessarily mean IMC, and IMC does not necessarily mean anything other than visibility issues. I live in Phoenix (330 days of sunshine each year), but I file if going into busy areas like the LA basin or when the WX is MVFR. It’s a great capability to have in your toolkit.

Back