What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airpark Living

2Big2Ride

We are going to need a new place to call home in the next month or two and would like to land somewhere in the Pacific Northwest to be closer to family. We are not going to be able to afford anything extravagant and it isn't what we desire being empty nesters, along with what is likely unplanned early retirement. We are at a point that a large hangar to protect and build a plane, a workshop space for the better half's art and woodworking, with a small/tiny house would be the ideal living arrangements. We have driven through Independence, Oregon residential airpark several times and really like what we see. We are assuming the airpark offers some additional desirable community benefits for both the absolutely brand new pilot, want-to-be builder, and artist spouse. I have noted that many folks on VAF show Independence as their location and hoping for some wisdom, guidance and direction. We are not committed to Independence and would be open to locations in the broader PNW area.

What are the pros and cons of airpark living? Any leads on homes (or open lots) that might be for sale in the Independence airpark that are not listed? Are there other airpark we might consider in the sourounding area or states? We are open to renting a home or apartment in the area for the interim if we can find hangar space for a C172, any leads or contacts for hangar space at independence?

Here's my experience (so far) with airpark homes.... I just bought one near Nampa, ID. The whole thing was kind of a fluke. I, like most pilots, always dream of living on a private airstrip with a nice hangar just outside the front door. Well, a friend of mine was looking at home around Nampa, Caldwell, Middleton, etc. and a home on an airpark just popped up on her Zillow page. She sent that to me and it peaked my interest. Of course within days it went pending. Then we started researching other sellers on this airpark and discovered most sales were "sale by owner" and the homes sold fast. Since we live in AZ we found and contacted a realtor in Nampa that had sold a few homes at this airpark in the past and asked if she knew of any upcoming homes or any leads.. She went to the airpark and asked around, knocking on doors. As it turned out there was an elderly couple that was just about ready to sell and move to OR. We started to negotiate immediately, needless to say other people also tried jumping on this deal. After the smoke settled we got it. In the mean time another home across the runway sold, "sale by owner".
Point being.. It's very hard to find these homes, kind of have to be at the right place at the right time and ready to pounce.
We haven't completed the move, still dragging stuff up there, but everyone we've met at the airpark have been very nice and like minded. I think it's going to be great move.

Toledo Washington had some lots for sale very recently. Looks like maybe they were all bought up? But keep an eye KTDO.

We are going to need a new place to call home in the next month or two and would like to land somewhere in the Pacific Northwest to be closer to family. We are not going to be able to afford anything extravagant and it isn't what we desire being empty nesters, along with what is likely unplanned early retirement. We are at a point that a large hangar to protect and build a plane, a workshop space for the better half's art and woodworking, with a small/tiny house would be the ideal living arrangements. We have driven through Independence, Oregon residential airpark several times and really like what we see. We are assuming the airpark offers some additional desirable community benefits for both the absolutely brand new pilot, want-to-be builder, and artist spouse. I have noted that many folks on VAF show Independence as their location and hoping for some wisdom, guidance and direction. We are not committed to Independence and would be open to locations in the broader PNW area.

What are the pros and cons of airpark living? Any leads on homes (or open lots) that might be for sale in the Independence airpark that are not listed? Are there other airpark we might consider in the sourounding area or states? We are open to renting a home or apartment in the area for the interim if we can find hangar space for a C172, any leads or contacts for hangar space at independence?

I don’t live on a air park but considered and still consider the option. I have looked at many air parks and have friends living at several different air parks. The one bit of advice I can give is look very carefully at the homeowners association and how the membership gets along. It’s more critical to your enjoyment of your home than you might think. Pilots can be hard headed. A couple of outliers can make things difficult for everyone.

I don’t live on a air park but considered and still consider the option. I have looked at many air parks and have friends living at several different air parks. The one bit of advice I can give is look very carefully at the homeowners association and how the membership gets along. It’s more critical to your enjoyment of your home than you might think. Pilots can be hard headed. A couple of outliers can make things difficult for everyone.

+100 on this! We spent a huge amount of time finding a friendly environment when picking our retirement airpark, and passed on several interesting locations because we had heard (and confirmed) stories of multiple disputes and lawsuits between residents. Don’t let desire over-rule good judgement in this regard!

Paul

Independence is a special place. Lots of great people, activities and a world class EAA chapter with a facility second to none. The airport is State owned and very well maintained. All the streets are dead ends with HOA owned taxiways behind the houses. HOA fees are about $600/year including $210 for access to the runway.

225 houses and around ten lots unbuilt. Recently there has been a run on houses and four new builds this year. A couple have sold after someone knocked on the door and made an offer that could not be refused. The lots start at around 100K and up.

EAA has a over 200 members, a large percentage live in the air park. We own a big building with state of the art A/V system in the large meeting room, a FAA approved simulator, kitchen and a tool room. The tool room has two lathes, milling machine, four foot shear and brake, drill presses, sandblaster, grinders and every tool you need. The air compressor is plumbed to the attached aircraft hanger that has 10 spots rented out to builders for their aircraft projects.

We have a teen build, adult projects (a donated Lancair IV P), and put on a major fly in except for this year. Next year we will be working towards adding a new immense new hanger to the facility.

Outside of the EAA chapter, but originating from it, we have a glider club with three gliders, a motor glider and tow plane. It concentrates on teens and has licensed a few. Also a flying club with two airplanes is just getting started. It’s 172 will have a new rebuilt motor and a full IFR dual screen Dynon for modern training.

The knowledge base is astonishing, and not limited to just aircraft. There is a Block Herald system for communication among all the air park residents. Need a crib for a visiting grandchild, put it on the system and you will have three in an hour! Garden club, Fiber arts, cribbage, cookie exchange. There are walkways between the taxiways and a steady stream of neighbors. It is a old fashioned neighborhood.

Last edited:

I totally agree with sailvi767 assessment and Mr. Dye on this. So So true. Might even be worth your time to look into the maintenance aspects of the airpark, ie., who mows the runway, who's expected to mow the runway, is there a community swimming pool, etc. etc. Also, see if the runway is in an LLC. Get a copy of the restrictions. See if you can get an invite to one of the HOA meetings. Do whatever you can to understand life on that particular airstrip.

I've lived on an airstrip for almost fifteen years and love it. But, it's not a perfect world and there are times...

Been a fair amount of talk about the cons and all valid points that need to be well considered. We've lived on an airstrip for the past 6 1/2 years and love it. Small neighborhood with only 16 lots, and only 5 developed so not a lot of drama.

The pros - in my opinion far outweigh any cons. The ability to walk out of my back door and into my hangar at any point when I think of something I want to check on the plane is amazing. Coming home from work and being able to open up the hangar door and take a quick 30 minute flight before it gets dark is a wonderful way to leave the stress of work behind. The camaraderie of fellow pilots as not only your friends, but your neighbors too, is wonderful. The collective knowledge and assistance and cooperation of all of the pilots on the field has been terrific and saved me a bunch of money and a bunch of hassle. Having tasted this life, I'd say it would be hard to go back to not living at the airport.

Independence is a special place. Lots of great people, activities and a world class EAA chapter with a facility second to none. The airport is State owned and very well maintained. All the streets are dead ends with HOA owned taxiways behind the houses. HOA fees are about $600/year including $210 for access to the runway.

225 houses and around ten lots unbuilt. Recently there has been a run on houses and four new builds this year. A couple have sold after someone knocked on the door and made an offer that could not be refused. The lots start at around 100K and up.

EAA has a over 200 members, a large percentage live in the air park. We own a big building with state of the art A/V system in the large meeting room, a FAA approved simulator, kitchen and a tool room. The tool room has two lathes, milling machine, four foot shear and brake, drill presses, sandblaster, grinders and every tool you need. The air compressor is plumbed to the attached aircraft hanger that has 10 spots rented out to builders for their aircraft projects.

We have a teen build, adult projects (a donated Lancair IV P), and put on a major fly in except for this year. Next year we will be working towards adding a new immense new hanger to the facility.

Outside of the EAA chapter, but originating from it, we have a glider club with three gliders, a motor glider and tow plane. It concentrates on teens and has licensed a few. Also a flying club with two airplanes is just getting started. It’s 172 will have a new rebuilt motor and a full IFR dual screen Dynon for modern training.

The knowledge base is astonishing, and not limited to just aircraft. There is a Block Herald system for communication among all the air park residents. Need a crib for a visiting grandchild, put it on the system and you will have three in an hour! Garden club, Fiber arts, cribbage, cookie exchange. There are walkways between the taxiways and a steady stream of neighbors. It is a old fashioned neighborhood.

Sounds like heaven. Very envious.

Variation

Runways are runways. Houses are houses. Shops are shops. All those things are consistent and can be changed or altered relatively easy. People and taxes are another story. They will either make you or break you. Out of control HOA, greedy county taxes, and neighbors who are at your house in you business and making trouble for you is a nightmare and it’s a common occurrence.

So, as Others have said, due diligence on the stuff with variation (people) is going to determine if your short term happiness is a success. Long term, well, one can only hope. Who knows, you may be the the next problem for them.

My suggestion, buy a piece of land, put horses on it, and fly off it just like Van did when he was younger. My only regret is that I didn’t make my strip longer for the star. RV is a piece of cake.

Airpark Living and Leads on Homes

Bruce, thank you for the perspective on Independence Airpark. This supports what we assumed based on research, observed in multiple neighborhood drive throughs, and random conversations with a couple of residents that stopped the strangers that were casing their neighborhood (us) and started a conversation to figured out what the car with out of state plates was doing driving up and down the streets. This sounds like a place we want to be a part of. Hopefully we can find a way to call Independence, or a place with this sense of community, home.

FasGlas, assuming you are in Sunrise based on the description, we also drove through the neighborhood earlier this summer and it is a beautiful area!

To all, thank you for the leads and reminders of potentially intrusive HOAs, and the risk and obligation if the airpark has responsibility and liability for the actual airport. The HOA component is part of what made our current home in Texas desirable - there wasn't an HOA and that seems to be rare in these parts. I really appreciate the leads for potential homes for sale, both on this thread and by PM and will spends some time looking at each of the links.

Runways are runways. Houses are houses. Shops are shops. All those things are consistent and can be changed or altered relatively easy. People and taxes are another story. They will either make you or break you. Out of control HOA, greedy county taxes, and neighbors who are at your house in you business and making trouble for you is a nightmare and it’s a common occurrence.

So, as Others have said, due diligence on the stuff with variation (people) is going to determine if your short term happiness is a success. Long term, well, one can only hope. Who knows, you may be the the next problem for them.

My suggestion, buy a piece of land, put horses on it, and fly off it just like Van did when he was younger. My only regret is that I didn’t make my strip longer for the star. RV is a piece of cake.

I live on an airpark. We don't have an HOA, our taxes are pretty cheap (as far as I'm concerned), but the rest is so true. Do your homework.

Back