What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stratux: Hard wire for power?

I’ve hardwired several Stratux units in my planes and for friends. Works well for folks who have ADSB out solutions that don’t provide ADSB-in.

I use this adapter available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081NCXB2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can wire the USB power source to the master switch, avionics master, or its own switch.

I use a Y adapter to join the antenna ports and use a single transponder antenna if an external antenna is needed.

Hardwire v Battery

Doable? Certainly.

A question to consider is whether or not you want to. Like so many other things, it's a matter of personal choice.

When flying with a Stratux powered by a battery, you have an additional level of redundancy. Perhaps very unlikely depending on other redundancies available as part of your electrical system design, but if for some reason your electrical system completely failed, or you needed to shut it down while in flight, your EFB still has NAV and a pseudo PFD (GPS altitude v actual and groundspeed v airspeed of course) if using battery power rather than ship's. Especially if in IMC, you just might be very happy to have those... If hardwired, the Stratux goes down with the rest of the electrical system.

In my -10, I secured a Stratux to the top of the seat back brace behind the rear seats--reception is fine given the fiberglass top. A long micro USB cable is fished along the tunnel to the power pack, which is secured to the carpet between the front seats with a small piece of velcro. That allows me to power up the system from the front seat, and if necessary on a series of long X-Cs, to change the power power pack.

Initially, I used "pass through" power, e.g. charged the battery while simultaneously providing power to the Stratux (Merlin). Per the manual I received, that was a recommended procedure. However, at one point the Merlin failed. On contacting the vendor (Seattle Avionics), I was told that they no longer recommended pass-through power, due to the potential to corrupt the operating system.

As an aside, it's worth adding a "gyro reset" on your EFB to the cruise checklist--to be sure that it's properly aligned before you find yourself needing to use it.

You can run power directly to the pin header on the Stratux, but this does bypass the onboard fused protection that the standard input provides.

A better solution is to solder leads directly to the power input pads near the micro USB port, google which ones to use as this is a well-known way to power the unit and *does not* bypass the fused protection. Secure the leads in the case, and run them out to a Molex connector outside for a more secure connecction.

Simplest is to find a right-angle Micro-USB connector and then put a tie-wrap around the case to holding the connector in. Or use some hot-glue around the connector to hold it in place. There's lots of solutions.

Personally, I use a straight cable, plug it in, and forget it. It's never come out in flight, and my Stratux sits on the glareshield. I'm going to be moving it to the T-Bar behind the tip-up canopy this winter, for a "more" permanent installation, so i'll be looking at the direct wiring method in more detail (no room for a straight connector in there anyway).

Last edited:
Doable? Certainly.
In my -10, I secured a Stratux to the top of the seat back brace behind the rear seats--reception is fine given the fiberglass top. A long micro USB cable is fished along the tunnel to the power pack, which is secured to the carpet between the front seats with a small piece of velcro. That allows me to power up the system from the front seat, and if necessary on a series of long X-Cs, to change the power power pack.

Initially, I used "pass through" power, e.g. charged the battery while simultaneously providing power to the Stratux (Merlin). Per the manual I received, that was a recommended procedure. However, at one point the Merlin failed. On contacting the vendor (Seattle Avionics), I was told that they no longer recommended pass-through power, due to the potential to corrupt the operating system.

Sorry for some thread hijack.
Tom_AZ, Do you have the Stratux battery pack between the front seats so it makes it easy to power on and off the stratux via the longish usb cord connected to the stratux on the rear seat back brace?

When you charge the battery pack is it then in pass through mode?

Sorry for some thread hijack.
Tom_AZ, Do you have the Stratux battery pack between the front seats so it makes it easy to power on and off the stratux via the longish usb cord connected to the stratux on the rear seat back brace?

When you charge the battery pack is it then in pass through mode?

Yes, for ease of power on/off, and as noted, also to enable a power pack change, if needed. I seem to get about 4 hours from a 10,000 mAh power pack. If I needed to power up via baggage door access before getting to into the cockpit, then a few minutes to strap in and get settled, then a few for taxi/runup before takeoff, battery life was down to a little over 3.5h. That's a more or less typical leg length. Solved the issue by both adding the long cord and purchasing a second power pack that I slip into a map pocket.

I don't use pass through mode for charging anymore. Per Seattle Avionics, at least some batteries can produce less than 5V "out" when also being charged, which in turn can somehow corrupt the software. To fix the "freeze" I experienced, I basically had to download and reinstall software, which of course isn't possible in flight. It's pretty rare for me to fly more than 2 3.5-4 hour legs in a day. I just charge them when at my destination.

Back