What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build log identity theft...

Better ways to handle this

I am a senior in high school, about where this kid was when he started. Dont worry i am not "building" anything and i absolutely don't get what this kid was thinking. When i have a dream, I pursue it and do what i can to reach it. I have an advantage over this kid because my dad has two planes, both of which i helped build and now enjoy flying! All i can say to this kid is if you want a plane to impress your "friends" (real friends accept you for who you are, dirt poor or filthy rich), finish college, get a job, and BUILD ONE!!!!!!!!! DONT PRETEND!!!! Geez, how long until oshkosh? I need to hang with real builders. (btw KOSH T minus 220 days and counting)

hey guys...

...please calm down,

propably he's just a fool that doesn't feel comfortable with his own life. what he did was BS but he didn't kill anybody.

Kay

Roger That, on the cool down

And Nick, Build your own **** airplane.

Randy
8A Flying
No, Really, I built the thing, really, screw you then

Not too quick to judge

A few comments:

I understand what this young man did was wrong and a very poor error in judgement. He has taken the necessary steps in asking forgiveness and appears to be sincerely remorseful. Let him learn from his mistakes and deal directly with Jenson. Bt the way, in my opinion Chad dealt with this young man in a classy manner.

What even concerns me more is how there are quite a few of us, including some with more prominent roles here, wanting to crucify this young man without maybe knowing all circumstances.

Sure, he needs to be accountable and i don't condone it. But those of us who have never made a serious mistake in our lives can toss the first one.....
Maybe we error on the side of compassion for someone that may really need or could use our help?

Merry Christmas everybody!

That is certainly a very uncomfortable thing to happen...

I think the apology from Nick is good, and hope he means it.
But personally, I agree with letting his parents know, or failing that - the relevant authorities. Remember, he has had five years of positive re-inforcement of his behaviour from his peers. That is not easily forgotten. The thing here is that we don't know if this is the first, and certainly would like it to be the last, time he has done this. It is simply not acceptable in our society, and some form of consequence is necessary or nothing is learned or prevented. (Yes, I am an old fashioned disciplinarian).

Chad: gently handled. Nice to see a bit of charity this close to christmas. Regardless of my paragraph above, I applaud your sensitivity. This episode speaks well of you.

If you don't mind, I am going to show this to my kids to re-inforce what I have been telling them about internet security and personal information.

I think I'll write a good old fashioned book about my build, when I finally start...

If you don't mind, I am going to show this to my kids to re-inforce what I have been telling them about internet security and personal information.

That's a good idea. I think everyone with kids needs to remind them that almost ANYTHING they post or say on the internet could be archived forever -- regardless of whether it later gets deleted or modified. (And maybe us grownups need a reminder of this once in a while, too.)

Check out the Internet Archive Wayback Machine: http://waybackmachine.org/. It archives many (but not all) websites back to 1996.

Talk about a permanent record... :eek:

Without further comment on how best to handle this or the likelihood that the guy will now change his ways, I will point out that he may have already sabotaged his own future substantially. As we've seen here, the internet constitutes a living record, accessible at anyone's fingertips. This guy is about to graduate from college and enter the work force. It is becoming commonplace for savvy employers to Google a prospective employee before extending a job offer. If they do, guess what they'll find... Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Chad,

You took a measured course of action, and showed a lot of compassion in your response. Good on ya...

At the same time, DR's and others' words of caution are also wise, and you may already be taking steps to protect yourself. As others have said, if this young man has pissed anyone off, or pisses anyone (else) off, or gets in trouble with the law, I would hate to see the dots get (incorrectly) connected back to your aiplane or to you.

Ben mentioned Guido and Vinny, and as I read, I thought of the same two names, but in a different context: If this all started on an online gaming site, and if he was to owe gaming people money...well that's when Guido and Vinny came to mind. Not trying to be overly dramatic, but as a Nevada guy, this just comes to mind as an outside possibility to protect yourself against.

Separating your reality from his fantasy, perhaps with good documentation, may be a protective measure to consider. I'm no lawyer, and am not savvy in the ways of this stuff, but safeguarding yourself may be good to do. Just some thoughts.

Hopefully this will be a case of a misguided kid making a very foolish mistake and having it blow up in his face...and it never goes beyond that.

Helluva story though! Geez! We all need to watch each other's backs!!

Best,
Bob

As someone who is in a similar age range as Nick, I thought I would offer up some perspective. A lot of people my age think that all their facebook photos won't be seen by their future employers. I'm really surprised by all that they think is ok to post online. There is also a rather large belief that what they do in college doens't matter because their dad has this degree but he works in a totally different field. I've heard this from a ton of people in my dorm building. I'm very surprized about how many kids think that their online life is totally separated from real life, and that nobody will ever see or find out about this life.

And then there is the online community. Most of the sites that people my age will visit are much like that IGN forum. It is, quite frankly and pardon my french, an unspoken competition to have the biggest e-*****. People literally compete to have the highest reuptation, or be the most known on the forum. I'm not gonna lie, I used to be like that, and I also used to be a lot younger and dumber (and if you searched for it I'm SURE you'll find a fair amount of examples of this.) Then add in that flying/building (small) planes isn't a terribly common interest, especially among this age group. Most of the people in this age group are much more interested in video games, the opposite gender, and consuming far too much alcohol and making an even bigger fool of themselves (and then sharing this with the internet via facebook)

That said, here is my take on this. He got an interest in flying. He read up a lot on the subject -- I did the same thing. He then found out about the van's RV kits and found a build log. He thought about joining some forums like this, but felt too far out of place and embaressed to join. Or maybe that was just how I felt joing these sites. Thats how I end up being a lurker (also would help if I had a plane I was building...) Now, he was also on IGN, and being young and dumb (a bit of an assumption here, but judging by his age I don't think its too much of a stretch) he thought about talking about those kits there. He then realized he could do that, or 'build a plane' and get a ton more attention, and if he is real lucky, people will talk about him in threads he doesn't post in. Attention is a much desired commodity among this group. So he decided to go with that. And he kept doing it. He may have realised he was trapped. He could out himself and be a stuck between a rock and a hard place, or he could keep with it and hope for the best. And so I think he took the second route. And considering the views most people have on the internet, he probably figured if it didn't work out the damage couldn't be that bad.

I'm pretty sure he realises it wasn't a good idea. Like I said before, I used to be young and dumb too, and every year I look back on myself and am surprised how much I've grown up and sometimes am embarasessed at the kind of person I used to be. Heck, there are a couple of sites I'm afraid to go back to because of dumb things I said. I'm sure he has learned a lot from this. And I feel a bit awkward saying this, but I feel like some people in this thread have a bit to learn about jumping to conclusions so fast. It seems weird to say this to people that are most 2 to 3 times my age, but I was surprised how harsh some of the replies were. Maybe I'm wrong. I very well could be, and if I am I'll fully admit it. But I don't feel as though being young and dumb means he is a threat to national security. Yes, he was wrong in a MAJOR way, but I feel as though Mr. Jensen did a very professional job in talking to Nick, and made him learn a lesson from it that he will remeber. Its the idea that following him around reminding him of this every time he posts on a forum is a horrible idea and would cause him serious pain. Just think if you made a huge mistake flying and someone followed you around and reminded you of it everytime, even if you've fixed the problem and learned from it. That is what life is after all, a huge learning experience. We've all made mistakes, and I'm sure glad that I don't have people reminding me of mine everywhere or I'd probably be a social outcast and scared away from the aviation community. Its these mistakes that have taught me just how bad judging a book by its cover is. I try to hold my judgment until I have enough to make an informed decision. I try to speak on positives and not insult stuff because I don't know who falls into that group. No English major bashing because as much as the College of Engineering makes fun of them I don't know if that person I just met could be one. I won't talk about how stupid I think video games are because other people like them a lot and I'd be insulting them. I will offer up constructive criticism, but again, I try to do that in a positive light. Telling someone that they may want to reconsider an idea for reasons X, Y and Z is a lot better than verbally assaulting them know their idea is horrible and a failure. I've learned pretty much all of those from mistakes. That's how a lot of learning is done. I've also found that something as simple as pumping someone two gallons of gas into their gas container can be something that is enough to put a huge smile on their face that will keep them warm walking back from the gas station. Which someone like that seems trivial to us there are a lot of people that are incredibly grateful to get that.

FWIW, I used to be an impersonator on a forum too. Not to this extent, but when I was in 7th grade and on a woodworking forum (yes, I did actually buy a table saw in 7th grade haha) my dad didn't want me to use my first name or the fact I was young, so I ended up named Jim and would make sure everything was from the perspective on a dad, not me. Then I turned 16 and felt really guilty about this lie I was living and I posted a thread and came out as in fact being 16 and my name was really Alex. I'm very glad looking back that they were so nice and understanding about it, because I'm still an active member there and still love to do woodworking just as much.

So yes, his actions were very out of line and totally unacceptable, but pouncing on him for it probably isn't the best approach. I'd like to also publicly thank Mr. Tom Webster for flying me home a couple weeks ago, because now I'm hooked on flying for sure (those young eagles flights I had when I was 11 and 13 didn't hurt either) and am dead set that I HAVE to build an RV. Its people and actions like that that help this community to expand/stay alive.

All that said, it is now 3:30 AM and I need sleep. Sorry that my writing is probably hard to read, I can try to edit it to make my points more concise if you folks want. My writing isn't terribly easy to read and goes off on a lot of tangents until I edit it a few times...

edit -- Also, as far as protecting yourself, both this thread and the one you linked should be fine, even more so if Mr. Reeves gives you the IP logs for the two accounts which will show that its not one person with two accounts.

Last edited:
Check out the Internet Archive Wayback Machine: http://waybackmachine.org/. It archives many (but not all) websites back to 1996.

Talk about a permanent record... :eek:

Okay, that's just freaky. A bunch of my websites, most of them no longer in existence are archived on there! One of the ones I pulled up was a bit of a scary glance six years ago! *laughs* Sadly my first few aren't :(

To comment on what rubber314chicken has said, sadly it is quite true that a lot of the varying "internet generations" have a very firm belief in anonymity, despite the harsh reality that the truth is very much so the opposite. Heck, I'll admit I've got a few unsavoury pictures of myself out there - I'm pretty certain we all have those kinds of pictures hidden somewhere.

I'll definitely second the mention of feeling "awkward" about posting on forums such as these, especially since the only thing I have that could "connect" me to the community is an eventual desire to fly (that I've had for, uhm.... Gee, when did the military let me go up riding in the co-pilots seat in a Twin Huey and Kiowa helicopters? Age 6 or 7?), as well as the hope to be able to at least get an hour or two before the local airport winds up closing (C-YXD, if I remember correctly) and is turned into condominiums. I've never been allowed to pilot an aircraft, even under the guidance of someone else's watchful eyes and hands. Sure it's arguable that I've been -around- aviation (father's an M1/M2, ran his own AMO, and now is the DOM for a company two provinces over, and my uncle's an aerobatic pilot that runs his own two man/aircraft team while having the day job of being an airport manager), but I've never had the ability to be part of such, hence why I tend to "hide in the shadows" and read, hoping for the day where I can actually get a PPL and possibly even get started on a kit.

I'm of a different age "bracket" than Nick probably is (I'm almost 28 now o_O), but tend to be confused with the 16-22 year olds due to my appearance, and have been accused of many things merely due to my appearance (from all circles, even police officers when I took a walk at 4am on a day off, while I was working graveyard shifts). Needless to say, I'm thankful that cjensen handled the issue in such a civil manner, and I suppose the main thing I wanted to do was simply speak out and say "thanks for being civil and understanding" towards the youngster. Such a positive outlook can help people realize their faults and learn from such experiences.

...please calm down,

propably he's just a fool that doesn't feel comfortable with his own life. what he did was BS but he didn't kill anybody.

Kay

I agree with Kay. If the internet wasn't involved would this be a real issue?
He lied to his friends to make his life sound better than it was.....
But I agree, 5 years IS a long time.

I too was a little surprised at how our leader here took this more serious than I did. But then I realized that his day job depends on our belief that what we read here is for the most part factual. I believe he sees this as a threat to his future.

Mark

snip...I too was a little surprised at how our leader here took this more serious than I did. But then I realized that his day job depends on our belief that what we read here is for the most part factual. I believe he sees this as a threat to his future.
Mark

This guy, an of age legal adult, was representing himself as another pilot for years. Having been the target of some malicious stuff myself in the past I can tell you it is no fun clearing up the mess later. You can't just assume everything is going to be fine - you have to take steps to protect yourself and your family (and your community). I don't see it as a threat to my future, but instead Chad's (and general aviation). I'm trying to look after my friend here, whose future I care about.

I would still report it to the police and his parents (and if I can't find his parents his college instead). On our side of the fence there are thousands of people who know about it - on his side of the fence there is only one person who knows (him). He doesn't use his real name on any of those other boards, and nobody he physically interacts with knows about this.

I am looking out for my friend Chad, and his wife.

Someone impersonates me online for five years? I'm on the phone with the FBI in 60 seconds. I will absolutely accept the guy's apology and forgive him... I'm still calling the authorities to protect myself and my wife and children.

Last edited:
Very impressed with the way Chad is handling this. Less impressed with other hard-line, unforgiving attitudes expressed here. Are his apologies genuine? I'll probably never know. Have all of my kazillion apologies that I've made in my life for various things been genuine? I hope so, but I'm mostly glad that the recipients of such apologies have, for the most part, been accepting and forgiving. And for you Nick, I'll be no judge whether you are genuinely apologetic or not, but you have a chance to turn and head down another road in life. Be honest with yourself and others and take the high road.

Less impressed with other hard-line, unforgiving attitudes expressed here.

A wise man once said "Trust, but verify..."

DR says "Forgive, but notify..."

I'm with DR. If I lived closer, I would offer Nick a YE flight. But I would also make sure that his parents/college/on-line friends were aware of his actions.

A wise man once said "Trust, but verify..."

DR says "Forgive, but notify..."

I'm with DR. If I lived closer, I would offer Nick a YE flight. But I would also make sure that his parents/college/on-line friends were aware of his actions.

I agree 100%. I would accept his apology but let the proper authorities determine if he was a threat or not. There is too little accountability in our society (IMHO).

Chad, as always you're a class act!
(Carl & I still owe you a visit...)

This thread is an education.

A very chatty, good looking landscape contractor stole $3500 from us some years back. He was a consummate liar and still is.

What is really amazing, this Holly Wood looking guy is still in business. A friend's daughter called us a couple weeks ago to ask why our name turned up on a court record regarding his business. Yes, it was there, we sued him in small clams court, won, but never collected a dime. We hired a lawyer to go after his bank account and there was none he could locate. The guy is very smart and to this point a successful liar. He does good work but if you give in a deposit, he may not return.

Perhaps this experience will help Chad's impostor correct this behavior. He sounds contrite but most people in prison do.

Give the Guy a ride

Ya, Right. I agree there is some sort of Aviation Spirit with this guy, but why would somebody offer a ride to a person who has gotten attention by doing what he has done. There are plenty of young men and women working hard and doing things right that DESERVE a ride. Nick has got to earn his way back into everybodies good graces. You want to punish him, make him do RV community service, whatever that might be. Make him tell his parents himself, then follow up on it with them. But give this guy a ride, NOPE!

Randy
8A

The kid wasn't impersonating Chad. He was impersonating an airplane builder. He posted stolen photos to mislead.

Meanwhile we're aware of builders who likewise don't actually build anything, instead writing checks, collecting staged photos to mislead, and perjuring themselves to get a real airplane licensed.

Which creates the most harm for the rest of us?

Think about it next time you drive a few hundred miles to a FSDO interview so you can get a repairman's certificate.

If I lived closer, I would offer Nick a YE flight. But I would also make sure that his parents/college/on-line friends were aware of his actions.

There you go! As a teacher I beleive, that if this kid is truly recalcitrant, an open embrace will put this kid on the right track! It's not very often that when we make a mistake that someone provides us with positive leadership. Usually, they will berate us on how irresponsible we were to make such a decision but, seriously - who hasn't made an embarassingly stupid choice where caring mentorship would have helped us more than unsympathetic scolding? Now, his character might be such that he's not worth reaching out to but without knowing this kid personally, it's impossible to assess that....

Consistency in action is the true mark of a person's character!

A few comments:

I understand what this young man did was wrong and a very poor error in judgement. He has taken the necessary steps in asking forgiveness and appears to be sincerely remorseful. Let him learn from his mistakes and deal directly with Jenson. Bt the way, in my opinion Chad dealt with this young man in a classy manner.

What even concerns me more is how there are quite a few of us, including some with more prominent roles here, wanting to crucify this young man without maybe knowing all circumstances.

Sure, he needs to be accountable and i don't condone it. But those of us who have never made a serious mistake in our lives can toss the first one.....
Maybe we error on the side of compassion for someone that may really need or could use our help?

Merry Christmas everybody!

Just the same as a few others are rushing to his defense without knowing all the circumstances?

What the kid did was wrong and illegal - period, full stop.

Last edited:
Hey Airguy,

If your going to quote me then quote my whole post so that you don't take what I said out of context.

I'm out

I handled (and am still working on handling it) this the only way I knew/know how...I try really hard to see the good in people all the time. Keeps me positive, and at times when I am let down, I realize that the good that I thought I saw in someone really wasn't there, and I move on.

I have taken everyone's posts/advise here to heart, and I am going to continue to stay in touch with Nick to be sure he is on the right track. I'll contact his parents and/or school if I feel the need, and have already taken action in areas that I need to to protect myself and my family. That's priority #1, obviously.

Here I go again, seeing the good in people, but I feel if I stay in touch with Nick, I can keep pushing him in the right direction. I agree with Dan that he wasn't necessarily impersonating "me"...he wanted to be an airplane builder, not me. And as has been said many times on this thread, what he did was wrong...he knows that, and I feel that because of the quick action he took last night, he has taken this to heart. If he had dodged and darted my attempts to contact him, I may feel different. He emailed me within two hours of my email to him, asking, basically begging me to call him. I did, and felt I was in a good place to reach out to him to help him see his incorrect path. We discussed counselors and if he felt he needed it, and I asked him at the very least to visit his pastor to discuss the lie he has led for the past five years.

I'm in contact with the IGN board, Nick has removed the photobucket account with the stolen pictures, and has notified IGN to remove his account. The local authorities were notified yesterday afternoon before I talked to Nick, and I feel as though I've taken the proper steps to this point to protect myself and my wife (who was really freaked out by this, and is the reason I made the call to my buddy who is an officer). If anything further needs to be addressed, I will talk directly to Nick and his family, if needed.

Thanks to EVERYONE for the support here!! The RV "Family" is truly something special, and this thread is a testament to that.

Whoa!

Just the same as a few others are rushing to his defense without knowing all the circumstances?

What the kid did was wrong and illegal - period, full stop.

Overnight, this conversation has taken an even stranger turn.

While I was perhaps the first to suggest a more compassionate reaction might be in order, I'm quite uncomfortable with how others who share that view have instead taken to criticizing DR and the others who are legitimately advising caution, frustration, and righteous anger. Those are all fair emotions in this case, and expressing them is not only fair, but will also send this kid the message that his mistake was serious and not easily forgivable.

Consider that the real damage he's done is that so many here have suggested they may limit their public build journals. Now that's a shockwave that affects all of us, especially those of us still getting ready to build.

I don't begrudge anyone their rightous anger. It's as useful a tool in correcting a wayward youth as compassion is. Let's embrace both.

Chad seems to have done exactly that, and he inspires me by his example. As do Doug, Paul, Rosie, Dan, Pierre, Mike, and countless others of you who share your real selves with me in this fine community.

Stephen

Last edited:
Losers....

Losers have "no choice" but to live vicariously through the achievements of real people...........

I'm neither here nor there regarding future action on the kid; don't know enough of the story to judge. But the point has been sniffed around and it's worth bringing up again - this issue of Internet Privacy. It's an issue that's still being hammered out legally and ethically; should you have an expectation of privacy in online dealings? But, practically, there's no such thing. Despite the fact that you are sitting in your home/office/whatever, your interactions are in the world at large. You are no more private than if you were walking down the street. Images you post are freely visible; words you post are accessible. Where we go wrong is thinking our acts are invisible just because we are alone with our computer.

I've been programming for pay since 1983 and as an interest since the mid-70s. In that time, I have lived a very public life online (bbs then PROFS then Internet) and have not suffered any serious damage. What is private for me NEVER goes online. The worst problem I've had is spam which has prompted me to go to an email whitelist. The people on my whitelist rarely get viruses, so I even more rarely have to deal with that to the extent that my anti-virus protection seldom gets exercised. And I know people who fear online shopping but I have both shopped and banked online for years without problem, simply by being careful. But then, banking and shopping in person are really no less public than online; tellers and cashiers are capable of misusing your data as well.

My point is that if you realize that the network is a public place and use it accordingly then you should be reasonably safe - at least as safe as you are in any other public situation.

Tagging along on the internet security theme, be aware that most smart phones and some digital cameras will tag pictures with a GPS location unless that option is disabled. When the pictures are uploaded to an online repository or FaceBook, the location data goes with it. So if someone really likes the picture of your shiny new plane in front of your hangar, they know exactly where to go to get it...
Let's be careful out there in cyber world.

Chad,

You handled that perfectly. Firm, reasonable, and with grace.

Well done.

Phil

I am right with Chad on this one as well - a very awkward, troubling, and serious situation handled with a very mature outlook - well done!

Paul

This is very bizarre, weird, scary, and creepy but let's be careful here. We don't know where this kid's head is at. There have been examples in the news of young people being bullied or outed online that ended in tragic ways. We certainly don't want that to happen here. Their online world is evidentally very important to them.

For those who have grown up in a world that always had cell phones and internet, it seems natural to them to bare their souls to total strangers. They need to be in a state of constant communitcation, texting at stop lights, on the street, in class, at work...never seeming to be living in the here and now.

Having grown up in the 60s and 70s, I don't have a clue about social networking etiquette. Is being "unfriended" a big deal? What the heck is a virtual wall? I guess my point is, there is a whole online world that I know nothing about nor is it important to me. I prefer to live most of my life in the real, reality than a virtual one.

So, I know for me, I just don't understand how devistating being busted for such a large charade would be to somebody fully embedded in this world. Of course, I can see how terrible it would be to get caught in this strange behavior. But, it is a board full of strangers you've likely never met. Delete your account and move on. I'm sure though, this is a far bigger deal to this guy (and should be). Who knows what kind of anguish he may be going through.

I think Chad's intention to keep in touch with him is a good one.

Last edited:
My $.02. This young man lifted some pictures for the purposes of elevating himself. In the grand scheme of things this isn't that big of a deal...no crime was committed here. Since he is reading this, I'd say if you feel like vindicating yourself, get a job if you don't have one, save up some cash, and buy a tail kit and go from there. I was 21 when I first started building my RV-6 and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I figured out how to build a RV in a time in my life when I didn't have any real prospects or direction, and did it the old fashioned way: hard work. No reason why anyone else can't do the same.

HOLY SMOKES CHAD!!!

I know I'm late on this whole thing (that work thing got in the way again) but this is just amazing!!!

You've handled this like a true champion Chad! Very strategic and I'm glad it's all calming down now. I tend to agree that he wasn't after you but the rock-n-roll glamor of being an aircraft builder! (cough cough) :rolleyes:

I did join the board and sent him a message that if this dream is that important to him he should do it for real. Who knows, maybe we're see him land at Oshkosh some year?!?

Great job man!

- Peter

Chad, this was truly weird. I hope that if you decide to take down your site, that there will still be a way for those of us that have looked at it to see how you tackled problems, somehow, will still be available. You have a lot of great info on there.

Cheers

Forgot to respond to this earlier...this is a great lesson for kids, and I don't mind in the least.:)

Chad, this was truly weird. I hope that if you decide to take down your site, that there will still be a way for those of us that have looked at it to see how you tackled problems, somehow, will still be available. You have a lot of great info on there.

Cheers

No plans to take it down...if anything, I may start working on some editing, but I plan to keep it up and running as long as my software is supported!

now that thread shifted a bit to the issue of publishing private stuff to the internet and i would like to make a remark on that...

a while ago i showed a buddy of mine (he's a police officer in germany) pics of my project at the wing assembly stage. he was very interested so i showed him a builders log site from somebody else (i don't remeber which site it was) to get him an idea how the project will continue in the future.

at this site we stumbled over some pics of the builders wife and little daughter. my buddy stated that everyone should be very careful doing this.

his rationale sounded a bit strange but i think it was valid. he said that everyone now can see this pics and for 99.9% of these potential viewers it's not a problem at all. but there are still 0.1% or so left. "for germany this equals to some 80.000 freaks. now make 80.000 dots on the map of germany. don't get me wrong but the next freak is not far away."

he stated that some pedophiles (or people with other serious issues) search specifically the internet for other peoples wifes or children to "participate" in their life. and it just doesn't matter if the purpose of the website is related to airplanes, horses or whatever. and maybe someone of them that is not so far away "falls in love" with one of your relatives. you do not want that!

i don't want to sound paranoid here but i think the best thing is not to post any pictures or informations of loved ones to the public. if i would own a builders site i wouldn't mind to put in some pictures of myself. i'm like the average RV-builder: a adult, ugly, male guy. so no hazards here... :)

Kay

Last edited:
WOW....reminds me of a poster on the AOPA forums. His user name had "cowboy" in it. He claimed fame and experience flying military airplanes and helicopters. So many users got caught up in his experience but then someone called him out.

Watermark your photos and you will never have the issue again.

I had some videos on Youtube that someone stole and claimed as theirs. The only problem is that my face was on the videos he stole and reposted.

I had a discussion yesterday afternoon about watermarking photos. I'm not sure how I would go about doing that with THOUSANDS of pics I have in my build log. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that with Front Page 2000? Going thru one by one ain't gonna happen...:eek:

I had a discussion yesterday afternoon about watermarking photos. I'm not sure how I would go about doing that with THOUSANDS of pics I have in my build log. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that with Front Page 2000? Going thru one by one ain't gonna happen...:eek:

I will ask a few friends. Other options are thumbnails with lower resolution, and a script to avoid "right clicking". Someone with Photoshop skills can still remove the watermark but its a good start.

If you can get your hands on a copy of photoshop, you could make an action that you can run on a folder of photos to open, apply the watermark, save and close.

This is a pretty good guide to what's described above.

Class Act Chad!

You have proven once again to be a class act Chad! This whole thing is pretty strange. One thing I would also suggest is to remove all references to your N number, as a search can pull up lots of information about you as you well know. I am definately reviewing my site for this type of information, based on what has happened here. With regard to the watermarking of photo's, I did have at one time a program which would do this in bulk, I will see if I still have it or remember what it is.
Now get back to flying that thing!

WOW... Interesting read.

You handled the kid wisely and maturely. I hope his apology was sincere. His future actions will show in time.

I know I enjoy reading the information and seeing the pictures of builders logs. I copy a few pictures every so often so I can refer to them when I someday hope to start my build. They are usually of the look or technique I'd like to put into my build. Or if I buy it would be what I'm looking for. It could be paint scheme or placement of gauges on the panel.

I hope such information stays available as it certainly is a valuable resource. But I agree that credit should be given to the originator. I'd hate to see a 'patent infringement' war start up... :)

Cute dog BTW... You better check the dog show boards for someone else showing it off...

This whole incident is weird...probably benign, but weird.

I find it up there with the weirdos who take pictures of planes and post all the info on them (like owner's name, address, etc.). Creepy.

Hilarious. I started reading this thread and it was growing faster than I could read! :D

Just a random thought: Chad, if you continue to stay in touch with your internet stalker and forge some kind of mentoring relationship, maybe a flight out to Kansas would be in order to give the kid a ride and let him buy you lunch.

What apparently started out as an innocent and anonymous prank mushroomed into (what he thought was) an innocent, anonymous online persona that gave him some measure of self-worth and gratification. Unless he's some kind of freaky terrorist wannabe posing as a KU student, he may well be trying his best to get past this as painlessly as possible. That's how it reads to me, and only Chad would know.

Just as Chad confesses to always try to think the best of people, I think it would be pretty cool if the young perp turned into a fellow RVer someday because he and Chad formed a friendship and turned a weird beginning into a lasting friendship. Stupid high school kids often turn into less stupid college kids and finally graduate into relatively normal adults. If they don't go to Cornell or UC Berkley. :D

Or, he evolves into a sociopath and becomes another Son of Sam. It could go either way. ;)

Well handled, Chad. Keep looking for ways to make lemonade from lemons.

Watermarking

Chad, On Windows you may want to look at IrfanView. There's a tutorial on using it for watermarking here. On linux, I use ImageMagick for that type of thing. Both tools can operate in batch mode.

Good luck,

Chad, you definitely handled this well, I have to give you kudos there. I have to say that I know myself well enough to know I would not have been nearly as calm and diplomatic as you were. As to whether or not the kid is sincere in his apologies - only time will tell. I'm an old, cranky, jaded curmudgeon and I'm pessimistic about people in general so my natural inclination is that he's stringing you along hoping an apology will make it all OK.

On the other hand I've also been known to be wrong once or twice, and I've made my share of boneheaded mistakes that I was legitimately sorry for (but 5 years? seriously?). I'm still of the opinion that a leopard doesn't change it's spots - but I'll allow a small glimmer of a chance that it's legit, and I hope you can reach inside the kids head and set him right before the law puts him away for his next big screwup.

I'll give 5:1 odds he ends up in the pen inside 3 years. I hope you can prove me wrong.

What if...?

I'm sure many of us have probably asked ourselves, "What if this had happened to me?"

Well, in my case, IF I had built a web site seven ( :eek: has it really been that long? ) years ago when I first opened my empennage kit, AND the kid had selected my site to purloin, then he would have been the laughing stock of his Cyber-friends for taking this long to get halfway through the wing kit!!!

Has anyone else had that thought? I didn't want to make fun of the situation when it first started, but it appears Chad now has things under control, so I thought I'd try to lighten everyone up a little.

For his purposes, whatever his intentions, he's "fortunate" to have picked a builder who stayed on track as well as one who is as understanding as Chad. I'm still hopeful there will be a happy ending for this story.

Last edited:
Wonderful job Chad!

Wow, I hadn't had a chance to check this thread since it'd early days, like, yesterday!

Lots of great posts, some that made me wince, and some that made me smile. Some pretty good points that oppose my viewpoint that I hadn't thought of.

You've handled this situation with true concern and grace. You're a good soul, hope to meet you one day. (maybe OSH 2011?)

I pray that our young Mr. Nick learns a lot from this and chooses to move on to great real things.. I'm sure a lot of us have learned from this as well.

Bless you Chad for your compassion.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well done Chad...talk about a shocker! I like your approach; direct, compassionate, reasonable and caring.

That's something I can look up to. In this day and age of reaction, rage and finger pointing its nice to be reminded of a higher state of being.

No if only I can remember that the next time someone makes a right handed turn from the left turn lane in front of me ... :eek:

Bob

Back