What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build log identity theft...

Talk about taking off like a rocket: 11 pages, over 6,800 views at almost the 24 hour mark. Don’t know what the record is, but I haven’t seen too many take off like this. I've done my reading for the month. :)

Last edited:
Yes, it's illegal

Illegal? Is it?

Yes. Nick violated US Copyright law big time...far beyond the "reasonable use" allowance. I don't know that a government authority enforces copyright, I think it's up to the copyright holder. By no means am I suggesting Chad take action now to enforce his copyright, just sayin', yes, what Nick did is illegal.

BTW, you do not need to post (C) Copyright on your material, or register with the US Copyright office, to have a legal copyright. Those steps make it easier to enforce for sure, but anytime you publish material it's copyrighted.

Needs to be documented

Chad,

I haven't reviewed every post in this thread, but have looked at the majority of them. I'll put on my police officer hat here and would suggest at the very least, the local law enforcement agency should be contacted and a report filed as to what transpired here.

Some may think, big deal, the kid just made a mistake and copied some photos and pretended to be somone else online...is that all he's done? I think this is serious enough for police involvement.

This may just be a small sample of what this guy has been doing, not just to Chad, but maybe to others?

There's no harm in filing a police report, as it is warranted. I don't "believe" anything criminal has been done at this point, but who knows what else may have transpired that hasn't been uncovered yet?

I'm sure the kid is scared sheotless (and that's a good thing) and kudos to him for fessing up, but there could be more, hence his quick response. Something like ths needs to be fully documented and then shared and publicized to prevent other "kids" from doing something so stupid.

Identify theft is a serious matter and very easy to do....I'd file a report.

My 2 cents...

Cheers,

Don

I'll put on my police officer hat here and would suggest at the very least, the local law enforcement agency should be contacted and a report filed as to what transpired here.

Hi Don...I did that yesterday before I had a conversation with Nick. I have a friend who is an officer here, and he is taking care of it for me. Thanks! :cool:

The kid wasn't impersonating Chad. He was impersonating an airplane builder.

Dan, that's not entirely true. Even though the guy (he's 23, not a "kid") wasn't calling himself Chad, he was using content that could directly be traced back to Chad.

Simple example: did any of the photos show Chad's tail number? On the FAA's registry web site, the owner's personal information is then just a mouse click away (that's scary in itself...).

And while that's a real obvious one, there are also countless other less obvious tidbits of information that could be used by a savvy internet searcher to find the original source.

Point is, even if the guy had no malicious intent toward Chad specifically, he did still create a link between Chad and himself that could endanger Chad, his family, and his property. That's a serious thing.

Tread lightly with the law enforcement stuff. While this kid is probably extremely embarassed, I don't think it's the near-death experience some are making it out to be. If this kid has any aspirations for a career in aviation, the actions you take could seriously hinder his chances years down the road. Same applies to calls for mental health councelling. He was just trying to impress some buddies. Yeah it dragged on for 5 years, but as near as I can tell all he did was pilfer some pictures. Again you don't want to harm this kids long term goals, and I'm sure 10 years from now he'll still be embarassed thinking about it. Good life lesson.

Chalk it up to stupidity in youth, and I'm sure the embarassment alone was punishment enough.

Sorry Sig, but "Tread lightly on the law enforcement stuff?" What's with that? Being someone that enforces the law, I can assure you without any doubt that what has happend here is worthy of a police report. No if's, and's or but's about it.

Nick, or whoever he is, made a decision on his own free will to do what he did. What he did was wrong, no question there whatsoever! Whether it is criminal or not, I will not comment on it any further as the authorities have been contacted (as they should have been), and they will determine what will transpire.

I could care less if this "kid" wanted a career in aviation or whatever. This went on for 5 years, living a lie. If I was the owner of some air operation, there's no chance whatsoever that I would hire this guy..well, nuff said.

Chalk it up to "stupidity in youth" His youth has long passed.

Yeah, it's not a "near death experience" but, Nick, or whoever he is made a decision and as a result of his actions (the actions he took, not anyone elses), will dictate the actions that may be coming to him. Could be something, could be nothing. No one here has harmed his future, he may have taken care of that himself.

They say sometimes it is best to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. Maybe I'm the fool? But I don't think so. I think someone else has taken care of that.

Hopefully this will just be chalked up to a life lesson for him. But remember one thing, he created this mess, no one here did.

Cheers

Chad,
I think you handled it extremely well. I have met a few of these people in my life. Most stopped by the time they were done with college some didn't. The first thing I would do when I met him was show him how much fun it is to clean the bottom on an RV! Good luck with it and kudos again for handling it so well.

If this kid has any aspirations for a career in aviation, the actions you take could seriously hinder his chances years down the road. Again you don't want to harm this kids long term goals, and I'm sure 10 years from now he'll still be embarassed thinking about it. Good life lesson.
Chalk it up to stupidity in youth, and I'm sure the embarassment alone was punishment enough.

Sorry...I am throwing the Bravo Sierra flag! As I have told my nephew (who really wants to fly professionally) as he was growing up, there are actions that have irrevocable ramifications. This could very possibly be one. IMHO, many kids today are allowed to do and say whatever they want, all in the name of self expression. Buffalo chips!
This kid should face whatever the consequences may be. Maybe he needs to be made the poster boy for why you don't do stuff like this.
One of the required qualifications to hold an ATP is to be of "good moral character", and this kid has shown at a young age that he is not even close!
That is all from the left coast.

Chad
I can't say how impressed I am with the attitude you have taken this situation and the person who did it.
You can be very proud of your humanity and character.
Respect!

John

I know that we're all perfect...............and have paid taxes on EVERY single airplane component........that we've installed in the last FIVE years or so..

What's that parable about "casting the first stone"?

Yes, I do think this is getting a bit overblown... :(

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I have not read even 10% of the posts but I did see some where people considered not having online journals/build photos, etc.

I hope you do not go that route. As a non-builder, I have used many of your sites to help me do mods.

I try to return the favor in a small way with info on trips I take and most recently with info on installing a smoke system.

Chad, you deserve credit for the way you've handled it so far, esp. reaching out to the kid and giving him the slap on the back of the head that he deserves. Thankfully it didn't go on for another 5 to 10 years.

OTOH, I think the kid has a promising future in politics! ;)

Sorry...I am throwing the Bravo Sierra flag! As I have told my nephew (who really wants to fly professionally) as he was growing up, there are actions that have irrevocable ramifications. This could very possibly be one. IMHO, many kids today are allowed to do and say whatever they want, all in the name of self expression. Buffalo chips!
This kid should face whatever the consequences may be. Maybe he needs to be made the poster boy for why you don't do stuff like this.
One of the required qualifications to hold an ATP is to be of "good moral character", and this kid has shown at a young age that he is not even close!
That is all from the left coast.

If that was the case, 90% the pilots I know wouldn't qualify by your standards. That's a very subjective standard, and by yours lying to girls in bars sounds like it would be a dis-qualifier.

Google "Tim Martins" if you need a case study in internet lying gone horribly wrong. That guy not only lost his job, but had to move to Africa. I DON'T feel bad for him.

In the grand scheme of things, this was a teenager that took someone's build log, and told some internet friends it was his plane. Period dot. Yeah it was pretty lame. But back off already. Enough with the "what if's" and "could haves." You're ready to flush this kids entire future down the drain, and put a stain on his record that he'll have to try and explain away for years in any back ground check. Over what? It wasn't identity theft, he did nothing malicious. Some of you are reading WAY to far into this from your soap boxes.

If that was the case, 90% the pilots I know wouldn't qualify by your standards. That's a very subjective standard, and by yours lying to girls in bars sounds like it would be a dis-qualifier.

Yeah...Yeah, I got all that! How that section ever got into the FAR's is beyond me, and most of us would be disqualified if there ever was a "good moral character" police!
However, I do stand behind the remainder of my message. Since you don't agree maybe you can give this kid a job with access to your inventory, finances, and electronic data as he seems to be very good with a computer!
The beauty of this forum is that we all have to right to agree to disagree!

The good news is that the internet wasn't around when we were all kids. Otherwise many of us would have done similar stupid things.

I can't tell you how many stupid things I've done in my life. I've done my fair share and fortunately the internet or YouTube weren't around to exploit them.

I was talking about this on the phone earlier tonight with another RV-10 builder and I came to the conclusion that I've purged the majority of those 'stupid things' from my mind over the years. It would drive me crazy if I focused on them every day.

I think a lot of what we're seeing is a generation gap. Chad's a couple of years younger than me and I think he see's things through a modern day lens. He still had a few young years in him as the internet was taking off. So I think he relates a little better than others.

I could see me doing something equally stupid when I was that age. The difference is that back then only your parents had to know; now days the whole world wants to know and feels like they need to comment on it.

Chad, I still think you're a class act. I've always had respect for you, but you simply confirmed it through all this.

Last edited:
Chad,

I still think you're handling this extremely well, and each of your posts strengthens that belief.

I also completely concur with DR, in that a cautious path should be followed, and you're obviously doing that. The fact you are making it a cautiously optimistic path speaks volumes on you, and who knows, maybe you will make a difference in this young man's life.

Your approach answers the mail on two sides:
First, you are protecting yourself (and perhaps others along the way). This is the most critical aspect, because at this point, no one really knows what they don't know about all of this. You know more than any of us, but until this plays out, bottom line truth is perhaps still an unknown, so caution and prudence are still in very high order (and you are employing both!) The advice of those calling for caution and reporting this are speaking from experience. Please don't confuse experience with cynicism...many of us have been, or know someone that has been, burned...so yes, the shields are up when needed, and are slow to come down at times (and we're still good folks...no name calling, just protective of what we have here at VAF and elsewhere).

Second, you're handling it in a way that if it turns out less sinister, perhaps this won't negatively impact the guys future (that will be up to him to do or not...time will tell). However, your caution and prudence protects you and gives you legal back-up should peeling the onion further reveal more bad stuff. Hope is that it will not.

Oh, and I realized today that I was probably confusing online gaming (wargames, etc.) with online gaming (vegas style). :eek: So strike my Guido and Vinny warning from yesterday...they probably aren't paying attention to IGN.

Someone wise once told me "there is no such thing as a learning experience...you either learn from experience...or you do not".

I've learned from this, and some of the younger guys' comments will help me watch and guide my young kids. Thanks. I'll bet we've all learned a heap...maybe even the guy that is the subject of all this!

Best of luck Chad!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
The good news is that the internet wasn't around when we were all kids. Otherwise many of us would have done similar stupid things.

I can't tell you how many stupid things I've done in my life. I've done my fair share and fortunately the internet or YouTube weren't around to exploit them.

I was talking about this on the phone earlier tonight with another RV-10 builder and I came to the conclusion that I've purged the majority of those 'stupid things' from my mind over the years. It would drive me crazy if I focused on them every day.

I think a lot of what we're seeing is a generation gap. Chad's a couple of years younger than me and I think he see's things through a modern day lens. He still had a few young years in him as the internet was taking off. So I think he relates a little better than others.

I could see me doing something equally stupid when I was that age. The difference is that back then only your parents had to know; now days the whole world wants to know and feels like they need to comment on it.

Chad, I still think you're a class act. I've always had respect for you, but you simply confirmed it through all this.

Agreed on how Chad handled the whole thing. And this post is what I was getting at.

There is a generation gap here. There are technology natives, and technology immigrants. My age group (30 plus) that remember a time before the internet, that still print emails and keep paper copies of things tend to forget that once it goes digital its out there forever. I'm in no way defending what this kid did, just making the point that the actions some people are calling for could seriously impinge this kids ability to move forward from it, for years.

After reading the threads again, I had to laugh. Some kid trying to impress a bunch of internet gaming nerds.

Chad, sweet cowling work by the way.

Last edited:
I'm just glad Chad didn't take away his opportunity to become a TSA agent in the future. :)

Hi all,

It is a bugger when people take credit for other people's work. We sort of get peeved about this in the UK - you know U571, jet engine, light bulb and breaking the sound barrier... Now must put a smilie in...:p

Is all a bit strange and must be embarassing for the lad. How about offering him a flight - I am sure most of us here are a bit weird and have done dumb things. Reminds me of that film 'Catch me if you can' and often it is the weird dreamers that become the really important doers.

Hi all,

It is a bugger when people take credit for other people's work. We sort of get peeved about this in the UK - you know U571, jet engine, light bulb and breaking the sound barrier... Now must put a smilie in...:p

Is all a bit strange and must be embarassing for the lad. How about offering him a flight - I am sure most of us here are a bit weird and have done dumb things. Reminds me of that film 'Catch me if you can' and often it is the weird dreamers that become the really important doers.

whats this light bulb thing you are mentioning? some one in the UK did it before edison?

Well said Bruce, makes me think twice about posting all of the photos of my kids and loved ones on my site.

Kind of makes you realize why Dan C. took his site down.

Well, rumor is that it was Dan C. who was faking it all the time, copying someone else's website and adventures. That's why he had to take his site down... :D

Seriously though, I just came across someone selling a rotary engine helicopter in e-bay and most of his description of the rotary engine came pasted from my website. Though he did give me credit (though not sure I want to be associated with some one else's project).

Crazy stuff, well handled Chad.

Great job, Chad. I can see so many different ways to take this, and I would say you have done well. This is all so unreal. Makes me wnat to go back to the 60's. Hey, I would be younger!

Anyway, good job, and keep us posted.

Bob

HMMMMM.

I have been reading all of these posts for a couple of days and it does make you question if it really is safe to share information on the internet. You would not think in a million years that someone would steal photos and say they are "virtually" building a plane just to impress friends. Forums like this are such great tools for new learning and retention of learning, I would hate to see anyone not use it, but it is understandable when this happens.

I have met one compulsive liar in my life and it was very sad to see her try to keep a lie going for so long. I just hope Nick does not have any other lies going in his life. It appeared to me that the really good liars pick things that are much more difficult to disprove than building an airplane.

It did get me thinking, a virtual oil change would be great from time to time!

I was working down in the shop the other day. My regular radio station wasn't coming in well, so I tuned in a country station and heard this Brad Paisley song...immediately made me think of Nick. Funny.

Late lurker here

Been reading this with interest, humor and astonishment at all the varied opines here, this one caught my interest.

I haven't felt this "Holier than thow" feeling here in this thread at all and don't feel we need to be admonished for our attitudes here.

As someone who very recently went through identity theft and ALL the associated problems and huge amount of time and cost it takes to rectifly it, I say be firm, compassionate and reasonable. BUT, don't give the kid a pass and say he was just a kid.

You also have to do what you can to protect yourself and that may start by not putting your whole life up on the internet. ANYBODY with computer savvy can find you in a heartbeat through your facebook account. Ask any police detective who deals with this how long it takes him to find people this way.

You have to take responsibility for your actions and you need to learn this lifes lesson.

Rants over.

I know that we're all perfect...............and have paid taxes on EVERY single airplane component........that we've installed in the last FIVE years or so..

What's that parable about "casting the first stone"?

Yes, I do think this is getting a bit overblown... :(

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Is this directed at me Jerry? I ask because I've done just that...

Hard to tell if you're speaking to me, or to L.Adamson...:confused:

Definitely not you Chad. I meant to say that to Nick.

The reply from L.Adamson made me feel like he was admonishing all of us for not cutting the kid some slack and saying forget about it.

Chad, you are a class act and handled this superbly. Hope Nick appreciates that.

I've read this thread with interest and humor, and come away with an observation: Those of you who are horrified that someone would take internet content and misrepresent it need a serious dose of reality. If you post content on the web, you need to know that you are providing that information to every single person on the planet who has internet access, and by doing so, you should expect the worst from it. In this particular case, the "bad guy" was simply looking for some online credibility, and thanks to our victim/hero (Chad), this plan backfired big time. I almost feel sorry for him because his online life is essentially ruined. Those of you who really understand the depth and scope of the younger generation's online social life are probably nodding their heads in agreement - he is toast for a long time. So in that respect, I think he's learned his lesson. However, shame on those of you who casually post pictures and other info and expect the best, because it's a mean world out there. If you, as a rightfully proud parent post pictures of your 10 year old daughter at her school dance recital, you should do so with the expectation that thanks to Google, within 5 minutes that picture is going to be the new screen saver image for a dozen pedophiles around the world. Perhaps you are just posting pictures of your build - well, every pixel of that image is going to be scrutinized by somebody. Are you sure you don't have a car license plate in the picture, or the fender of a new Harley, or something else of interest/value? In short, are you really OK with letting every single person in the world "case" your shop? Finally, do you post travel plans on the web i.e. "goin' to LOE next week..." ?

It's true that there is a lot of personal info out there, but some of you people make it WAY too easy for the bad guys.

I've read this thread with interest and humor, and come away with an observation: Those of you who are horrified that someone would take internet content and misrepresent it need a serious dose of reality. If you post content on the web, you need to know that you are providing that information to every single person on the planet who has internet access, and by doing so, you should expect the worst from it. In this particular case, the "bad guy" was simply looking for some online credibility, and thanks to our victim/hero (Chad), this plan backfired big time. I almost feel sorry for him because his online life is essentially ruined. Those of you who really understand the depth and scope of the younger generation's online social life are probably nodding their heads in agreement - he is toast for a long time. So in that respect, I think he's learned his lesson. However, shame on those of you who casually post pictures and other info and expect the best, because it's a mean world out there. If you, as a rightfully proud parent post pictures of your 10 year old daughter at her school dance recital, you should do so with the expectation that thanks to Google, within 5 minutes that picture is going to be the new screen saver image for a dozen pedophiles around the world. Perhaps you are just posting pictures of your build - well, every pixel of that image is going to be scrutinized by somebody. Are you sure you don't have a car license plate in the picture, or the fender of a new Harley, or something else of interest/value? In short, are you really OK with letting every single person in the world "case" your shop? Finally, do you post travel plans on the web i.e. "goin' to LOE next week..." ?

It's true that there is a lot of personal info out there, but some of you people make it WAY too easy for the bad guys.

Wow...Definitely food for thought. I am not sure I will ever post anything in the future.

Wow...Definitely food for thought. I am not sure I will ever post anything in the future.

Just post with your eyes wide open!

I have seen examples of online rivalries sinking to the depths where the "family web page" of one party was exposed, exploited, and ridiculed. Of course, the "victim" had lots of family pictures, and WAY too much personal info... It was an online bloodbath. Even my eyes were opened once when someone caught a glimpse of something interesting off in the corner of my shop - completely out of context for the forum. It was purely innocent, but showed me clearly that people study every image carefully - I know I do; I think it's human nature.

Most aviation forums are pretty respectful and honest, but this is not at all the case with the rest of the Web. Just don't put anything out there that can hurt you.

There is a mental disconnect with using the Internet. Since (usually) we use it in a private place like home or office we feel that it should be as private as anything else we might do. At worst, we feel it should be as private as a telephone call (and it is, but then we really haven't caught on to the reality of modern telecomm, where our messaging - voicemail, text, etc. - live in centralized servers outside our home and our control). The Internet reality is that it is as public as if we were throwing out the info in the middle of a crowded arena.

One reaction is the "I'll never post again", usually modified to "I'll be extremely careful". This 'net fear is understandable but tends to throw out the good with the bad. I've been computing since the mid-70s and most of that time has been online (bbs to PROFS to Internet) and I've learned to live with the exposure. I've learned to remain trojan free and bank and shop online without fear of losing my info by exercising the same caution and common sense that I use in shopping and banking in public. As for a trick like Nick's, it wouldn't even affect me; the people I intend to reach with my builders' log and my website and my forum posts know me as much as people who meet me on the street. If I meet an online acquaintance in real life, it is simple to connect my internet presence and reality. An imposter, such as Nick, can never hurt my credibility because, when it matters, I can easily make that connection between my Internet presence and the 'real' me; Nick cannot.

Risk/reward analysis is one of the keys to maintaining a safe Internet presence. I don't bother to protect my info in a forum such as this because there's little risk. My N numbers are public record anyway, and I'm in the white pages; you could find everything about me offline anyway. Truly private information I take more care with, as appropriate. The basic idea is that the Internet is just like being in public; you don't have to be any more or less cautious than you would walking down the street. You wouldn't expose your Social Security number or credit card PINs in public but you wouldn't hide, to pick a parallel example, that you are building a plane for fear that someone else might point to it and say 'I built that'. They can say it and maybe impress some gullible friends but they can't actually possess it or take from you the fact that you are the builder. As in real life, so online.

I think Chad has acted entirely appropriately and, rather than being harmed, has an amusing story to add to his building/flying experiences.

I scoff at the fears sometimes myself. As an A&P, for decades the FAA made me enter my social security number on every log book entry I made! Even with exposure like that, I have never encountered someone using it for fraud purposes. (Of course I don't know how many pilots later used my data to make their own logbook entries and never got caught)

...but you wouldn't hide, to pick a parallel example, that you are building a plane for fear that someone else might point to it and say 'I built that'...

No, but you might not advertize the fact that you have $40k worth of avionics sitting on your workbench either! And even if you did, YOU would carefully control WHO receives that information. Taking it one step further, even if you told EVERYBODY about your garage full of stuff, at the very least, the recipient of the info does not have a "hard copy"; the info is simply released and gone. You put a builder's log on the web, you are essentially providing a well documented catalog of your stuff, usually complete with time/date stamps, and some info (from your blog) about your personal habits/schedule.

Just like car theft, if you are specifically targeted you will likely become a victim - but that doesn't mean we leave our keys hanging from the ignition when we go shopping either! (not in California, anyway). Besides, people define "victim" on different levels; in the hypothetical pedophile/screensaver example I gave earlier, there is no "harm" done, but I sure bet no one here want to think of a loved one as a pervert's online entertainment either. That said, these things DO turn out badly sometimes. For example, I read somewhere that it is a bad idea to show off your Harley (in this case) to a potential buyer at your home. Why? Because it is a well known ploy to pretend to see a Harley for sale simply so you can case the location first, then come back and steal it.

Perhaps it's the fact that I've had a security clearance for all of my adult life and the annual training that pounds the point into your head: you don't need to provide ALL the information to have breach - key pieces are often all that's required. If your "online catalog" catches someone's interest, don't make it easy for someone to figure out how to find it and take it.

I'm not suggesting that we bury our heads in the sand, but only release information that you would be OK with sending to every thief, murderer, rapist, pedophile, con artist or scumbag who has a computer. Remember how often you "stumble" upon something interesting while surfing the Web? Well they do the same thing.

Last edited:

This is 100% spot on.

I stopped a woman at a gas station one day, introduced myself, and wanted to ask her about her sticker on the back of her Escalade. It was one of those stick figure family stickers everyone thinks is so cute. Dad was holding a fishing rod, mom shopping bags, the son had a soccer ball, the daughter in cheerleader garb, and a dog. I asked her about how she felt about her personal security, and then explained to her that from that sticker alone, and her $70K SUV all the information I could figure out boiling down to knowing when she'd be home alone or when her kids would be. The look on her face was priceless. Some people just don't get it.

Yep, too easy to post info that can be hi-jacked by folks who want to do bad things.

Case in point, until this thread I never knew A/P's posted their SSN in logbooks-------now that tidbit of info is on the net.

Will it matter, probably not, but???

A few years ago, A&P's were given the option of getting a new certificate number, unrelated to the SSAN. I picked this option and had my certificates reissued with the new number. I don't know if "new" certs contain the SSAN or not, but I doubt it.

Nah, they stopped that on Pilot Licenses and A&P licenses way back when they gave us a choice to remove it, my original pilot license and A&P License still have the SSN, the new plastic ones don't..

Yep, too easy to post info that can be hi-jacked by folks who want to do bad things.

Case in point, until this thread I never knew A/P's posted their SSN in logbooks-------now that tidbit of info is on the net.

Will it matter, probably not, but???

I'm pretty sure we used to add our SSN to our homebuilt log books when signing off things via our repairman's certificate. I had a couple of aircraft logs that went to new owners.....

I've since blanked out all the old instances of SSN in my RV-6 logs.

Again, now us old timers have a "Medicare Card", yep, our Medicare number is our SSN, and if you are old and feeble like me, at least a dozen people a week get to see it (and memorize or copy down your SSN). I have to show my US Army ID card also, yep it has my SSN on it too. On top of that each medical facility takes the cards, and copies them for their file, where who knows how many people have access. I cannot even get my military discount at Lowes or Home Depot without showing my military ID with the SSN on it.
After all these years of exposure, at least it proves the odds are good that nobody will use it fraudently I guess. I have to smile when I am in line and some young whippersnapper refuses to allow his SSN to be known.

Don, precicely why I subscribe to www.lifelock.com

Just got an alert the other day that a registered sex offender moved in a few doors down from me.

herbert-picture.jpg

Back