What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a mentor in Utah - RV 7A about to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfmogul

Shop setup + Empennage assist in Utah

Anyone in the Salt Lake City area that has built a 7A before? I plan to start soon, and would love to get some tips (or hands on help, for which I can pay) from someone with experience as to setting up a nice and organized shop in my garage, buying the right tools, and learning the initial skills and getting off to a good start on the empennage kit? If not I’m sure I’ll figure it out myself between these forums and the plans etc but I’m sure those of you who’ve done it before would have valuable tips to pass on. Thx.

Mentor

Check out the nearest EAA Chapter as well. There are usually many builders willing to be a Mentor.

There are any number of postings about shops or tools. You can search for some of them. There's even a whole Tools section, all here on VAF. Days of good reading.

Dave

Check out the nearest EAA Chapter as well. There are usually many builders willing to be a Mentor.

Thanks - I got in contact with the Utah EAA chapter a couple of weeks ago and I’ll be attending their monthly meeting along with their open hangar night this coming Saturday. Will also check the white pages area and other suggestions given by others here (tools forums). Thx all

Chad, Im in SLC several times a year visiting kids and grandkids. I would love to stop by next time I am in town.

On setting up your shop, you cant go wrong having a very well organized set of every type of bolt, nut, and washer needed. Rivets are cheap - get plenty of every size. You will save so much time and money if your time is worth anything.

Another thing that will save you time and save sanity it to have a cart with the tools you will be using for whatever you are working on that day. Having the right tool available when you need it is huge. Good tools are needed for most of the project and some can be HF quality. When you purchase tools the cost is not the cost of the tool - it is the cost difference between what you buy it for and what you could sell it for when you are done with it.

Good luck, it will be an amazing experience for you.

I built an RV-14. Some people say it is a big RV-7.

located at the Heber City airport.

Be glad to help.

Ken

I built an RV-14. Some people say it is a big RV-7.

located at the Heber City airport.

Be glad to help.

Ken

Thanks Ken - I'm looking for a few ppl who could regularly help with this (a 10 build instead of a 7) and I'm willing to pay b/c of how much help I'm wanting (as long as I can pay ppl who still qualify as home built not professionals), but it would be a bit of a drive for you (Heber to South Jordan). Please lmk if you'd like to discuss it - Chad 801.822.2274 thx

Maybe this is a long shot - but could it work to hire 3-5 local EAA members who have experience building Van's kit planes to consistently come & work with me (and sometimes, without me) in my garage on an RV 10 kit? If what Synergy Air told me is true, I could pay others to help me as long as they aren't professionals ... I want a 7 years from now ... but I want a 10 asap. I was about to spend around $175k on a Mooney or something b/c I can't find a good RV 10 to purchase, but instead, I'd love to quick (and quality) build a 10 with significant amounts of help (paid) from my garage. If I order a QB kit, and have enough experienced help, its reasonable to think we could finish 18-24 months from now. Am I dreaming? if so, I'll buy the mooney & slow build the 7 at some point. But I'd much rather postpone the 7 build for a few years, get the 10 built & flying in 18-24 months, and not buy the Mooney (instead, I'll learn IFR in what I've been doing my PPL in .. my PA 28 - 140). Thoughts?

Maybe this is a long shot - but could it work to hire 3-5 local EAA members who have experience building Van's kit planes to consistently come & work with me (and sometimes, without me) in my garage on an RV 10 kit? If what Synergy Air told me is true, I could pay others to help me as long as they aren't professionals ... I want a 7 years from now ... but I want a 10 asap. I was about to spend around $175k on a Mooney or something b/c I can't find a good RV 10 to purchase, but instead, I'd love to quick (and quality) build a 10 with significant amounts of help (paid) from my garage. If I order a QB kit, and have enough experienced help, its reasonable to think we could finish 18-24 months from now. Am I dreaming? if so, I'll buy the mooney & slow build the 7 at some point. But I'd much rather postpone the 7 build for a few years, get the 10 built & flying in 18-24 months, and not buy the Mooney (instead, I'll learn IFR in what I've been doing my PPL in .. my PA 28 - 140). Thoughts?

Just a note - If you’re paying someone to do the work, then they are not doing it for recreation and education, they are doing it for pay.... That doesn’t fit the spirit of the rules.

if your goal is to fly, can you purchase a good newer rv7a and keep flying it until you get your IFR ticket with it like you had planned. Then sell it and buy a flying RV10 instead of spending years of building.

If this is what Synergy told you, they lied.

A good 10 maybe hard to find but ill bet you could still find one sooner than 18-24 months (your timeframe for building). And you wouldn’t have to worry about finding help to build one, and all the legal and ethical issues that entails. You seem to be all over the place, in that when you started this thread you wanted to build a -7 it seemed. Building a plane is an insanely huge commitment, so maybe take a deep breath and look patiently for the right plane - it will come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back