What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horz Intake Snorkel Idea

emsvitil

Well Known Member
I have no idea if this is a good idea or bad.

But rather than the weirdly shaped snorkel that seems to slowly drop in cross-sectional area thru weird bends and bumps.

Have the snorkel be constant cross-section (or slight taper) tube that has nice smooth bends with a trumpet mouth that ends inside a plenum box that's right after the air filter.

The constant diameter tube should have smoother flow and would be easier to fit.

Would you get more pressure in the plenum box after the filter?

Would this pressure translate down the tube to the throttle body?

Would you get any wave-tuning effects?

Comments

The challenge the factory had was to max size a duct in that tight area, good luck if you want to increase its size.
The requirement is to be able to flow about 350CFM of air for a 360 sized engine at max rpm which the duct should handle easily as is. The cowl/filter arrangement is the biggest roadblock of the whole affair.

As previously noted, there is little option to modify the snorkel. It is a complicated shape for a reason.

I suspect there is little (practical) loss of dynamic pressure to the engine - and have not noticed anything weird WRT manifold pressure.

I elected to stay with the standard Van’s cowl for the new RV-8 as I really liked the clean lines. The snorkel install however was a real pain

If I had to do it again I’d most likely go with the James Cowl with the separate engine air inlet ring, and James plenum.

Carl

Back