What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Forward Picture Request

PhatRV

Well Known Member
Hello,

I have my engine mount bolted to the firewall. The engine should be shipped from Lycoming sometimes next week. This means the stage to install the firewall forward section should start soon.

I would like to solicit pictures showing the equipment arrangement on firewall before your engine is mounted to the airplane. I like to get an idea of where everything goes together on the firewall.

The engine that I am installing is the IO-360M1B. I understand the equipment layout for this engine can be different than the carburrated engine.

Thanks

Here's my firewall as of today. I'm ready to hang the engine.

From your picture, are you planing to mount the battery and solenoid on the left hand side of the RV8? Is this due to some access issue?

Thanks again for the pictures.

Last edited:
Battery

Thanks for the pictures, hi-res too.

A question, do you have any trouble with removing the battery in the current location? I am really impressed with the clean installation of your firewall forward section.
The battery comes out very easily once the cables are removed. I just used the stock holder that EarthX sells attached to a piece of 0.063" to add a bit of stiffness against the FW.

Thanks for the kind words - I got a lot of good advice from others. If there's anything that's not clear I can take more photos or perhaps a video. Just let me know. The cowl comes off regularly since I'm during the test phase - don't want to lose a loose nut! :D

From your picture, are you planing to mount the battery and solenoid on the left hand side of the RV8? Is this due to some access issue?

Thanks again for the pictures.

I chose to mount the battery in the tail.

Here is a photo of how I mounted the oil cooler.

Two batteries for this build, both PC-625s. One mounted in the forward baggage compartment well and the other mounted in the standard aft location. These location were chosen for W&B considerations - and I'm very happy with the results. Note - using stock IO-360-M1B engine and Hartzell BA CS prop.

Carl
20191027-152343.jpg

Back