What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics

What kind of aerobatics do you guys do in your RV-8s? What are some more advanced maneuvers can you do besides simple loops and rolls?

Hammer heads

I’ve just started experimenting with hammer heads. Super fun with a smoke system!

All the standard stuff.....Cuban 8’s, Immelmann, Split S, Spins, slow rolls. It’s more fun when you start stringing maneuvers together, and plan them to maintain your “box”.

I certified KELLI GIRL for positive G aero maneuvers plus a couple of momentary negative G, specifically loops, aileron rolls, barrel rolls, split S, Immelmann, and half-Cuban 8.

If you build negative G oil and fuel pickups, you can expand the neg G repertoire, as long as you certify the aircraft for it in Phase 1 and write it into the POH. I'm no aerobatics expert, just the casual G-puller.

Do most RV pilots close the thottle going vertical on the back side of a loop? I've always done that that in Citabrias and Decathlons.

Do most RV pilots close the thottle going vertical on the back side of a loop? I've always done that that in Citabrias and Decathlons.

No. Enter at 150 - 170 knots with a 3.5 - 4 G pull and you will end up at about the same speed that you entered.

Do most RV pilots close the throttle going vertical on the back side of a loop? I've always done that that in Citabrias and Decathlons.

There is no need to close the throttle in any airplane. Laws of physics dictate that from a constant power setting you cannot gain airspeed if your entry and exit altitudes are equal. Leave the power in. If you're blowing out the bottom too fast you're doing something wrong. Some basic acro instruction helps.

Ok I’m a complete rookie. I have done aerobatics in an Extra 300L (Upset recovery training) but would like to do them in my RV8, after getting some training. Oh I need to finish the build to but that’s a different story.

Here is my question.

Should I have a flop tube in one tank for basic aerobics (Loops, rolls, spins) or can I do all that with normal fuel pick ups? I’m not currently installing inverted oil and don’t plan to, at least for now.

Thanks

Ok I’m a complete rookie. I have done aerobatics in an Extra 300L (Upset recovery training) but would like to do them in my RV8, after getting some training. Oh I need to finish the build to but that’s a different story.

Here is my question.

Should I have a flop tube in one tank for basic aerobics (Loops, rolls, spins) or can I do all that with normal fuel pick ups? I’m not currently installing inverted oil and don’t plan to, at least for now.

Thanks

You only need a flop tube for extended inverted flight. If you have not built your fuel tanks yet then this might be a good time to put a flop tube in one tank. It's cheap and easy. You can do the entire IAC Sportsman sequence without a flop tube but you should have inverted fuel (injection) to do figures correctly. And you will want at least a half-Raven system to keep the belly clean. For positive G maneuvers, loops, barrel rolls, spins, etc. you don't need fuel injection or inverted fuel/oil systems.

You only need a flop tube for extended inverted flight. If you have not built your fuel tanks yet then this might be a good time to put a flop tube in one tank. It's cheap and easy. You can do the entire IAC Sportsman sequence without a flop tube but you should have inverted fuel (injection) to do figures correctly. And you will want at least a half-Raven system to keep the belly clean. For positive G maneuvers, loops, barrel rolls, spins, etc. you don't need fuel injection or inverted fuel/oil systems.

Thank you! I think I’ll start small (flop tube) and go from there. I have the SDS EFI system and will check out the half-raven.

Thanks again

Why no tail slides? Can you do knife edge passes? Do either of those require pushrods for the rudder? Just curios on what the limitation is.

Why no tail slides? Can you do knife edge passes? Do either of those require pushrods for the rudder? Just curios on what the limitation is.

It is a Vans prohibited maneuver because the tail is not structurally designed for the loads. As for knife edge passes, pushrods are not required. The correct rudder input will put tension on the appropriate rudder cable. On my RV-8 you can hear some buffeting and wind noise on the canopy.

BTW, I don’t think either maneuver is permitted with the RV-10. :)

Nice routine but some of that just sounds so hard on the engine. Is that you Ron? Is that an AEIO- engine? Obviously has inverted fuel and oil and I would assume and aerobatic prop?

It is hard on the engine, on everything in fact. It is going to be harder on the aircraft than flying at 1 g level flight. Although the airplane is designed for aerobatics, it will require more maintenance and fixing things here and there.

Flying these figures perfectly requires a lot of practice. In order to nail a 1 1/2 turn spin to within 2.5 degrees of rotation and 2.5 degrees of pitch from a perfect vertical line may require a dozen spins in one of many many practice flights. So much for shock cooling!

I’m 99% sure that an AEIO engine is an IO engine with a Christen inverted oil system.

Here’s my Sportsman Known and Free sequences from the 2018 Nationals:

https://nationals-videos-2018.s3.amazonaws.com/IAC1109.mp4

https://nationals-videos-2018.s3.amazonaws.com/IAC1130.mp4

Nice routine but some of that just sounds so hard on the engine. Is that you Ron? Is that an AEIO- engine? Obviously has inverted fuel and oil and I would assume and aerobatic prop?

Yes, that's me. The engine is a narrow deck IO-360-B1E with standard compression, constant speed prop and inverted fuel and oil. The prop is not an aerobatic CS (ie: counterweighted hub) but I never found the need for that. Aerobatic routine is typically flown at full throttle, full rich and 2700 RPM. That engine went for 2250 hours and I overhauled it just because the plane was down for a cracked canopy. At overhaul the A&P was surprised at how little wear was evident. Crank, cam and case were all good.
Aerobatics are certainly harder on airplanes flown in one G flight but with proper periodic maintenance you can expect engine to go to TBO and beyond and airframes to last indefinitely.

How do you guys do 2 up Aero's in the 8? Mine is fairly heavy so I have 180 kg's left to play with, hardly enuf for two bums and fuel?

How do you guys do 2 up Aero's in the 8? Mine is fairly heavy so I have 180 kg's left to play with, hardly enuf for two bums and fuel?

Perhaps you don't! I would never encourage anyone to exceed the weight or CG limitations published by VANs. You must include the weight of pilot, passenger, parachutes and all fuel. I have always done aerobatics solo.

I don't do aero's 2 up but just wondered how others do it? See it all the time on YT! I like my 8 but it is limiting to some degree.

Less Fuel? At 10gph, putting 15gal on board for a 45 minute flight means 45 minutes reserve fuel. With fuel totalizers, we have incredibly accurate knowledge of fuel remaining. Needs additional attention when running close to the fuel limits, but can be done safely.

Back