What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modification: RV-10 Step bolt access

fehdxl

Well Known Member
There was some discussion about using the stall warning access panels on the baggage floor to facilitate future access to the step bolts. While I still have a ways to go before needing to do this, what do you think of my proposed locations? Right now, the holes are essentially on top of the step, but I could move them aft of the stiffener as well. Thanks for your thoughts! -Jim

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Me too

I did exactly the same thing, in almost the same place. In hindsight, I think the holes couldn't get close enough to the outboard side of the aircraft to get good access to the bolts. Still, it was really easy and cheap to do and it's better access than none.

Another solution

The best solution I have seen was a nutplate attached to the top of the sleeve and a 1" access hole in the bottom skin.
I did not know or think about that and made 2 one inch access holes, one in the baggage floor and one in the bottom skin, just large enough to access the nut with a socket. The removable side cover was an unintended consequence due to my lack of foresight.:confused:

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

I have made mine as two little doors with the hinge FWD side and further to that I have also installed my two com antennas directly below the doors. So now I have access to the step bolts as well as the antenna connectors.

I have made mine as two little doors with the hinge FWD side and further to that I have also installed my two com antennas directly below the doors. So now I have access to the step bolts as well as the antenna connectors.

Great idea, I would definitely steal tip that if I was still in the building process.

The best solution I have seen was a nutplate attached to the top of the sleeve and a 1" access hole in the bottom skin.

I'm thinking ahead to that point and I don't think I like the idea of having a bolt able to drop out (with subsequent disaster waiting at the step). But, combining an idea from the next post, if you put the nutplate below and an access door above for the bolt and a comm antenna mount, it should be pretty nice.

Keep It Simple

flion,
You bring up valid reasons to do what you have outlined.
This seems to be one place where you can make it unnecessarily complicated.
First, a bolt will not come loose out of a nutplate and if it did it would not be able to fall out because it will bottom out against the plug. At worst it will be left stuck just keeping the bottom end of the step tubes engaged and you will notice a wiggly step.(time to check on it)
You really do not need access to the back of the antenna, terminate the cable with enough slack and plug it in before you mount it, the reverse is true for disconnecting.
I am trying to save hours of labor making access holes on top if you can do it from the bottom with a step drill in about 5 minutes or less.

Purpose?

New builder question - what is the purpose of a customization in this area? Are the steps prone to come loose? Have there been a rash of problems in this area or is this just one of those 'better to do it now' kind of ideas?

Bang up job on shin

Van's instructions have you install the step somewhat early in the building process. Once the floor is riveted on you cannot remove the step anymore.
(unless you drill out the rivets holding the floor down)

Having a removable step is simply a convenience while you build so you won't bang up your shin everytime you walk past the step.

There have also been issues with wobbily steps (the cause of which is open to debate, do a search and you can read more). Putting in an access hatch allows for future access if wobbily step syndrome occurs. Of course you can always go without and drill out the floor if you need to, but this is one of those an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure kind of things IMO.

I worried about this for some time also but today was the day of reckoning and I decided to install per Van's method with a #30 locate hole above and and below, and if the time comes where I ever need to remove the step, I will either open the holes up to to 3/4" to gain access to the bolt & nut, or just cut out and install an access plate at that time. I will re-weld the crappy current welds on the steps prior to permanent installation so they will probably never need to come out,,,,, and if they do its no big deal. I have found with the previous plane I built that those little added ounces you add here and there add up quick and I am trying to keep this one light.

Add lightness

Keeping it light will work especially well in this instance.
How about weld a MS21042 lock nut to the step tube on the top side.
Remove some aluminum about an inch in diameter to gain access on the bottom and your installation will probably be lighter than stock.
This is what I would do, if I had not already finished that part.
Your idea of drilling a pilot hole at this time is a great idea for future maintenance.

Back