What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing CIES fuel sensor in tank

Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
My Stuart Warner sender failed after 10 hours. I contacted CIES and purchased a sensor made for the RV 12 tank. Now I need to figure out how to hook it up

Stay tuned

Should be pretty straightforward on the -12. Remember that these are active sensors as opposed to passive/resistive sensors. They need a supply voltage (+12VDC) and current (a few mA) to make the electrons do their job in the electronics that are internal to the CiES sensor. That is to say that you will need a third wire to supply the 12VDC. Perform the calibration as specified by your instrument manufacturer and you should be amazed with the accuracy of the system.

The other thing that you need to know is that the folks at CiES are committed to making sure that their products work well and are reliable. They understand that our lives may depend on their products and they take that seriously. If you have a question or problem just contact them and they will help you out.

I have no association with CiES other than being a satisfied customer and the recipient of their customer service and commitment to the accurate measurement of fuel levels.

Let us know what your experience is.

-larosta

Last edited:
Why not replace with original resistive sensor? If you install different manufacturer, how do you know how to bend float arm so it sees top and bottom of tank correctly? Seems difficult to check float arm working through small mounting hole...

The CIES is current state of The Art technology. Used on almost All new factory built aircraft. Just thought I would up grade to this century.

I had no issues with the float arm position. I had worked with the nice folks at CIES to give them all the info they needed to create a plug and play alternative

I was surprised how many ?old style? senders fail early in their life. Not an expensive upgrade and of course my 12 is worth it😉

So much for E-LSA, vs 10 hours in and it's modified to E-AB, for the next potential owner, if it becomes a potential problem.

So much for E-LSA, vs 10 hours in and it's modified to E-AB, for the next potential owner, if it becomes a potential problem.

Either I am completely misunderstanding your post, or you may have misunderstood how that works. The only modifications you can?t make to an E-LSA after its airworthiness certificate is issued are those that would take it out of LSA compliance. Changing the fuel sensor is certainly not an issue, as long as the result is safe and accurate.

And there simply is no path to get from E-LSA (or S-LSA) to E-AB.

Either I am completely misunderstanding your post, or you may have misunderstood how that works. The only modifications you can?t make to an E-LSA after its airworthiness certificate is issued are those that would take it out of LSA compliance. Changing the fuel sensor is certainly not an issue, as long as the result is safe and accurate.

And there simply is no path to get from E-LSA (or S-LSA) to E-AB.

Do you put OEM oil filters on your Rotax? OEM spec motor oil too?

I'd say since Van's probably built the gas tank, put their electric sender that they spec'd in their gas tank, too, if your original sender went bad.

Sorry, that's just how I'd do it, maybe my logic is flawed somehow.

Do you put OEM oil filters on your Rotax? OEM spec motor oil too?

I'd say since Van's probably built the gas tank, put their electric sender that they spec'd in their gas tank, too, if your original sender went bad.

Sorry, that's just how I'd do it, maybe my logic is flawed somehow.

I think you completely missed my point. None of that has anything whatsoever to do with whether an RV-12 is E-LSA or not. I don't care what oil or filter you use, or what fuel sender you have, or anything else... an E-LSA RV-12 can have exactly one of two states. It will still be E-LSA as long as you don't modify the performance outside of LSA limits, or a very expensive lawn ornament if you do. No other modifications will take it out of E-LSA certification. THAT was what I was saying. Neither changing the fuel sender nor any other modification will ever make it E-AB.

CiES is a certified fuel sender replacement if that's the issue.

It is a way better sender. No electronics exposed to fuel. It has a magnetic position sensor. almost 180 deg movement range on arm so no wire bending required. Mean fail time is in the range of over 60,000 hrs.

Jim,

Does your float arm hit tank top and bottom? I had to pick one or the other, so I set mine to read 0 as it touches the bottom. It hits the upper stop at 17 gallons so I operate almost an hour before it goes on scale.

Rich

Back