What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking advice on places to see, airports to visit in Oregon

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
Taking the RV on a x-Ctry from SoCal to Oregon. Plan to stay along coastline as much as possible for cooler wx enr if coastline isn’t fogged in. There are lots of fire TFRS between here and there that will have to be avoided. I know I want to visit Evergreen aviation museum in McMinnville but after that looking for other places to see. Any recommendations on where to overnight along the way appreciated. Planning on one day each way and two days in Oregon.

Brainstorming

I live in OR and I think the KMMV idea is a good one. Along the idea of a museum and a fun airport, you can travel to Hood River, OR and visits WAAM

https://www.waaamuseum.org/

The FBO on the field has a crew car that can get you into town. Hood River is nestled between the Columbia river and Mt Hood so there is some beautiful scenery, a great city, and lots of outdoor activities to enjoy. It’s one of our favorite places to visit.

KONP - Newport is an airport along the coast. A short drive north takes you into a small fishing town that has some nice coastal attractions. Like you said, fog is sometimes an issue but this is a good time of year to visit.

Just some thought...

Something different

Was just there. My daughter lives there now after growing up in Florida. I can't recommend an airport though someone is sure to mention a visit to the mothership @ KAUO. I don't know your tastes but in my few days there, I can state:

The Columbia river gorge is very nice and worth a trip inland. Hikes, scenery, waterfalls.
SoCal (particularly San Diego) is good for this but the Portland area is at least equal for microbreweries.
Willamette valley ~ an hour south of Portland is well known for their Pinos. Not as much variety as Napa but few places are. Still well worth a look.

I'm sure you'll hear more from others.

Be sure and tour the Spruce Goose and pay the extra to sit in the pilots seat. The perspective is worth every penny.

We were up there in the RV several years ago while it was 100+ degrees in
Oregon. I really wanted some cooler temperatures, so we loaded up for a lunch trip to Pacific City (KPFC), a short hop over the hills to the West. The water is cold and we needed light jackets on the beach, in July. A beautiful coastline, and close to McMinnville.

Be warned, Pacific City is only 1800 feet long and narrow. Not for everyone.

George

Sadly, the mothership is still closed to visitors thanks to Covid-19.

I'd recommend a stop in Florence if the weather allows. When I was there last, they had a very nice crew car. I would phone first to see if it is still available, given the pandemic. Florence has a nice downtown area with numerous restaurants and shops.

Another idea is Joseph, OR. A 2 to 2.5 hour flight from Portland. Nestled next to a mountain, it feels like you're flying into a small village in Switzerland! Town is a 20 minute walk away. Multiple restaurants, art galleries and shops make this a nice day trip.

Hood River is a definite must see. Go down to the river and watch the kite boarding craziness! Spend the night and sample the wares at multiple local microbreweries. If you have time, cross the bridge over to White Salmon and visit Everybody's Brewing. The view is better from the Washington side!

Last edited:
Wildfires

Not sure if you already made the trip, but I’d hold off until the fires die down. Once it clears up, I’d recommend a flight around mount Saint Helens. Madras has a good museum. You can walk to the beach from the Lincoln city airport. KONP has a courtesy car last year. Pacific city airport is right in the middle of town. Easy walk to restaurants.
Aurora airport was evacuated yesterday due to the fires.
You could be up in the San Juan’s in under 90 minutes from the Portland area. Friday Harbor and East sound are both within walking distance of restaurants.

Back