What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking about a trip to Taos NM

caapt

Well Known Member
Anybody have any experience with the RV14 at higher pressure altitudes or mountain flying?

My buddy with RV9 and I flew to KSKX a week ago. Runways of enormous size taxiing seems forever. It was 34C on the ground with wind gusting to 15 absolutely non event. Bring a mask you can’t enter FBO without it.

Be cognizant of density altitude. I've taken off from Los Alamos in my Mooney with full fuel in the afternoon 90 degrees OAT and climbed out at 200FPM. The 14 is about 700 pounds lighter so you should get better performance.

I would imagine an RV-14 would do fine here, I have a friend with one and have never heard him complain. However; high density altitude and mountain flying is often more about the pilot than the airplane. Every summer, we see accidents that did not need to happen. Most of them due to pilots that are not prepared and apparently too smart to listen/learn. Last week, a canard flyer decided to roll his airplane up into a ball because he didn't have a clue what density altitude is and ignored good advice.

You may already be aware... if so, please ignore. Before making such a trip, please familiarize yourself with what you will be experiencing. MountainFlying.com has some good rules of thumb. Departing at 10,000 density altitude in my RV-4, I expect to use 300% the Vans published takeoff distance. Even after breaking ground, things happen (climb) very slowly (in comparison to low density altitude). Are you familiar with leaning prior to starting the takeoff roll? Are you aware that your indicated airspeed will be approximately 16% lower than at sea level? Are you aware that you will be taking off with ~65% power. Are you prepared for what looks like the ground rushing by at 300 kts but the airplane is still not flying?

Expect to be done flying by about 10am due to density altitude and ALSO wind/thermals/turbulence. The winds aloft forecast at 18,000' is VERY important. If the wind is above about 30kts at 18,000, expect it to be bumpy. If it much more than that, be careful.

Hmm... after proof reading that, it sounds very aggressive/in-your-face. I apologize, I don't mean it that way. I'm actually trying to be helpful but I'm just frustrated by the continuous stream of accidents and stories of people that scared themselves.

I returned from Vail KEGE last month in my RV14-A. Having flown this airplane cross-country for 285 hours, the RV14/IO390 performs very well at high density altitude compared to other certified plans I have owned.

My wife and I had the 14-A filled 2025, just short of gross max, full fuel and 100 lbs of gear. Departing KEGE at 7:30am we had good climb performance from 6500 to 14500, easily 1000 fpm at 65-70% power. The engine did not need much leaning that day to develop good power and I climbed out at a rich 15GPH to insure the cylinders stayed under 370. Respect density altitude in the mountains.

Plan your flight for early mornings, know the forecasted weather and always leave yourself alternative for landing (good road) and turning around. Higher altitudes and O2 provide safety margins.

Mountain Flying Bible- Sparky Imeson covers the basics well. Enjoy learning.

My buddy with RV9 and I flew to KSKX a week ago. Runways of enormous size taxiing seems forever. It was 34C on the ground with wind gusting to 15 absolutely non event. Bring a mask you can’t enter FBO without it.
Was there last week too! (The -8 parked by the medevac helicopter.)

Comments are all good. Don't get horsey with your pattern. Widen it out. I use O2 coming over the mountains from the east. Keeps the headache to a minimum. Check with Charlie at Wheeler Peak Rent a Car for wheels.

Last edited:
Koch's chart

I carry a Koch Chart. It gives expected performance under local conditions regardless of model. John

Mountain Flying

I have taken my -14 into most of the high altitude Colorado airports and it has performed very well. Most of the runways are very long so take off performance is still less than 1/3 of the runway. On an extended climb at both high temp and altitude (Colorado during the summer) you need to be careful with engine management. CHT's are very easy to keep well under 400, but if you set rich of peak, full power and climbed at 110 KIAS from 5k to 14k things would get hot. The oil temp will creep up to 215ish on a long extended climb like that too, but with careful route planning and a leveling off it can be kept much lower. Generally my oil temps are the limiting factor. I hope the new 5" scat tube will help me climb cooler. As soon as I level off, even in the summer it will come back to a happy level, 185-190. Up above 15k ISA+15 at near max gross, I am only getting a few hundred feet per minute at cost of near 30KTAS for the climb. The airspeed penalty for the climb up at these altitudes really hurts the efficiency of the flight but is nice if you can get into the smoother air.

Also I personally perform way way better with o2 above 10k. I have two complete o2 setups using an Easy Pulse 5 medical pulse demand regulator and small tank I have mounted using a fire extinguisher bracket. Works a charm and complete o2 system for less than $100.

Last edited:
Thanks Carl

Just added interactive Koch chart to my smartphone's homepage.

I also added an Anti-splat cowl flap to my 6A to help keep the CHTs below 400 degrees one cowl flap helps at least 5 degrees F.

John

Last edited:
Thanks Carl

Thanks for the link Carl. I've been flying in and out of Buena Vista (KAEJ) several times a year and referring to a hard copy Koch chart. Like John, I also added a link to my smart phone. Pretty cool that you can enter an airport identifier and it populates the airport conditions right into the calculator.

I highly recommend anyone flying in the mountains use a Koch chart. It can be eye opening especially your first few times in and out. My last trip to BV had 10,000 density altitudes before 10 am. We are headed back up there early in the morning tomorrow if weather will cooperate.

Joe

Back